ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Change of Wheels on 172 Cup INSURANCE?

Clio 172
Hello all,

Just a quick one, My 172 has the standard wheels. I am now changing to The 182 Cup Wheels. Do i need to notify my insurance? I think the wheels are optional from Renault and therefore i could claim that they were on the car as standard?

Really dont want to tell my insurance as at 20 with a claim and 3 points my insurance is MEGA $$$$ already.

Any advice appreciated. Tom

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
It'd be best to mate. They won't charge you any more since they're OEM wheels... normally.

There are exceptions though. It depends on your insurer.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
^Huhmm...They will charge you, either as a mod or an admin fee..

I wouldn't bother but thats just me.

Cheers
Pharrell

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Halifax wanted £80 to change the colour of mine - I politely told them to go f**k themselves.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Why are you replacing 172cup wheels with 182 ones???

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Don't do it, stick with turinis!

Depends on your insurance company if you change though, if you're with a mod friendly one like Adrian Flux, then no change. If you're with a normal company, I'd guess it wont be mega but you would have to pay something, why not ring them and find out before you do it?

Or if you don't want them getting any ideas specifically about you, why not do an online quote and see if adding wheels makes any difference?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Oh dear, I'm with them and have different coloured alloys. Good job I'm ditching them on the 11th. I always thought you was ok unless you actually changed the alloys.
Claim vandalism :rasp:

@OP: If you haven't already got the wheels i'll swap my 182 cup wheels for 172 cup wheels ;)

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Oh dear, I'm with them and have different coloured alloys. Good job I'm ditching them on the 11th. I always thought you was ok unless you actually changed the alloys.

I'm leaving them on the 23rd - told them to get fucked, after charging me over £120 for four months for moving 2 miles to a nicer area more secure drive, lower risk etc...

I'm leaving them on the 23rd - told them to get f**ked, after charging me over £120 for four months for moving 2 miles to a nicer area more secure drive, lower risk etc...

Ridiculous!

My opinion of them has really plummeted recently. After I gained my 3rd year NCB, they rewarded me by putting my premium up £20.

MR2 Mk1.5
Hello all,

Just a quick one, My 172 has the standard wheels. I am now changing to The 182 Cup Wheels. Do i need to notify my insurance? I think the wheels are optional from Renault and therefore i could claim that they were on the car as standard?

Really dont want to tell my insurance as at 20 with a claim and 3 points my insurance is MEGA $$$$ already.

Any advice appreciated. Tom

Hi Tom,

in answer to your question: YES. You do need to declare that these wheels have been fitted. They were not on the car when it left the factory therefore they are a modification, therefore they need to be declared.

For anyone else who has said 'I wouldn't bother' and advising you not to declare them.. it is very poor advice to give out. If Tom had an accident and his claim was void because of non declared modifications, he may be a little annoyed he took your dodgy advice. I hope you can see this point.

If you are with a modification friendly insurer they will NOT change you extra with the different wheels fitted, the wrong insurer may charge you a ridiculous amount. This is why it is careful to pick your insurer very carefully and the cheapest policy may not necessarily be the best! If you are planning modifications then it is wise to find out if your insurer will except them.

Ollie
Sky Insurance