ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changed bay wiring loom, now won't start

LY FF182
Today i set about the task of changing the engine bay wiring loom as mine had been hacked about with by the previous owner. Bought one off here from a trophy a while ago now.

Last night and today I took the old one off and fitted the new one to find Trophy one doesn't have wires or plug for the headlamp washer motor (no surprise once realised why) and the plugs for the headlamp auto level motor is different so doesn't fit. Neither of these particularly worry me.

Get it all back together and now it won't start. first few turns of the key to ignition on saw solid red light between STOP and SERV plus a ticking relay in the bay joined with the shift light flashing in time with the relay. kept trying and it started very rough and smelt like un burnt fuel. Had a look and No 4 injector plug not all the way on, push on and it started fine.

Then noticed steam/smoke coming from around the exhaust area so turn it off take upper inlet off and have a look thinking i've shorted a wire on the starter or something but can't see any damage or anything to say it fudged. Try starting again and solid light and relay ticking/shift light flashing again. Check all plugs and earths and found a earth not done up. Tighten it but no change.

Sorry for the essay but I'm stuck for ideas and need some help please!!!!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Good luck. I've just had to replace a loom and I had two identical 182's next to eachother to do the swap and the looms were different. It seems Renault fitted whatever they wanted! lol.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Adam, you really need to know exactly what is causing the solid red light before you can even begin to tackle this one (or even be in the fight). Unless there is an obvious wiring fault you are going to need some kind of network scanner like CLIP that can tell you where the fault lay but my guess is something CAN related in a node connection as you said earlier that it did start briefly yesterday (so the loom obviously works).

Have you checked the fuse box under the bonnet to make sure the x3 blade fuses, 5A, 15A and 30A, are all intact?

Mick

LY FF182
The 3 blade fuses are fine, however only the 15amp one has wires connected to both sides of it.. 5 and 30 are both without a wire on one side??? I did think about clip but don't have one and you're about 40 miles away anyway. I've removed the loom again to check for breaks in the wires. Can't see any as yet. I got it to ignition on earlier with no immobilizer light, went to start and it just clicked and then nothing... beginning to think the starter has died too as tried bridging the terminals on it when the ignition worked and again just got a click followed by nothing!

LY FF182
Fault finding continued and found the earth that bolts to the gearbox doesn't read with the other earths which makes me think there is a break somewhere deep in the loom, so would this cause some of the issues I'm having?? And if i just make a lead to connect the body and the engine.. this would suffice?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Yep including the dead/clicking starter.

Don't worry about the fuses with mussing wires. They have an internal common track giving them +12v

LY FF182
Right, bolting a large gauge cable between the engine and the body has cured it.. All is fine :D well, not all.. I seem to have trapped a couple HT leads and now they're shorting to the manifold and causing terrible miss fires!! Lots of insulation tape has cured it temporarily but need some new ones!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
No that was a different car, that drove away. Mine needed its aux belt and plug service. I guess the A/C compressor bearings just decided they'd quit as there's more movement in the bearing race than in Syria... knocking its tits off now so I'm driving it nowhere till the replacement arrives and its been re-gassed.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Yeah just a morning for the complete front end removal of a Megane III to undo a component that's held in by three f**king bolts.... !!!RAGE!!!