ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing Anti Roll Bar Bushes, How I Did It

Haven't been able to find any info on the actual procedure to change the outer anti roll bar bushes so I thought I'd post how I did it. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me at the time but I'll try and describe it as well as I can.

95910248.jpg
95910248.jpg
G]
This is what im talking about.

First thing is to jack up the car and support on axle stands.

Second soak the whole joint in wd40 and leave for a few minutes.

Remove the bottom nut from the joint using a 13mm spanner.

I decided to change just the outer bushes as I couldnt be bothered removing the whole anti roll bar and the middle bushes seemed in ok condition, this may not be the correct procedure and so I am not responsible for any damage etc.

I then removed the top and bottom rubber sections
69870081.jpg

On mine these were fairly perished and a few good hits with a hammer and large screw driver removed them.

Then use a large spanner with the open end place underneath the lip of the metal screw top (the part with the torx head) and lever up and down.

Once the bolt begins to move, use a larger spanner which fits snuggly between the torx head and joint, continue untill the bolt is nearly out. As it gets closer to coming out the gap may become to large, and so I used two spanners one on top of the other (pretty ghetto but it worked). A few hits with a hammer on the bottom of the bolt may also help loosen it.

Once the bolt is out pry the anti roll bar down to allow removal of the middle section of the bush shown on the right of the picture.

It proved too difficult to insert the new middle section by just prying down the bar and so I used a second jack underneath the wheel hub to raise the assembly slightly. I was then able to pry the roll bar down far enough to insert the new middle section, whilst still holding the bar down insert the new bolt from the top and line up with the middle section. Once the bolt has passed through the middle section release the anti roll bar and remove the second jack.

Compressing the new bush enough to allow the addition of the bottom section with enough of the bolt showing through to get the nylock nut on proved a real pain.

In the end I used several washers and then a spare nut to pull the bolt down and compress the new bush. Whilst the bolt was still under compression I used the second jack to apply pressure to the anti roll bar from underneath to prevent the bolt slipping back up. I added more washers one at a time gradually pulling the bolt down through the joint untill I was able to place the bottom section onto the bolt and tighten the nut.

It may be necessary to have a second person hold the top of the torx head with an apporpriate torx driver (T30 i think).

Once locked up lower the car etc.

Again im not responsible for any damage caused to your car etc.

Hope this helps someone out.

Patrick

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I used a g clamp on the wishbone and ARB to compress the bush enough for the nylock nut

RX8, Clio II 1.6 16v
This is almost the method I just used (wish I read this first!), my bushes were in good condition so I wanted to preserve them.

I freed up the centre bush by jacking up the lower wishbone slightly - this also takes takes the sheer force of the bolt making it easier to remove.

I drove the bolt out with an old head bolt - any drift with smaller diameter than the bolt would work.

Just thought a few alternatives might help if something gets stuck.