ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing Cat

182FF with cup packs
So, on what level of difficulty would it be for me to change my own Cat?

I'm fairly mechanically able, but to be honest I haven't done any real mechanical stuff in years except changing my brake pads last weekend.

I've got a trolly jack, axle stands, and a decent selection of spanners, ratchets etc.

I've got a KTEC sports cat (http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=1051) sat in my front room, along with a manifold to cat fitting kit(http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2335).

As far as I can guess it should be as simple as unscrewing the sensors, undoing 4 bolts, dropping out my cracked cat, bolt the new one in, screw the sensors back in, and off I go.

Had to laugh when Renault wanted £800 for a stndard Cat though :)

apart from the potential hassle of stuff otherwise being seized/corroded, there's very little room to be working on the manifold->cat joint. it's not difficult - you've just got to give yourself a lot of time and be patient

you'll need an assistant, too

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Same as above took me ages to do it and i work for renault i hate them. i could proberly do it by myself but its very hard.

182FF with cup packs
Well, I have a load of 3in1 oil and WD-40, and my mate owes me a favour, so I think I have a plan for Sunday if the weathers no crap :)

Thanks.

Ph1
Ask your local tyre bit if you can borrow the ramp for 10. Would be half the battle

Was amazed when mine let me use theres on a busy afternoon for free !! Health and safety, ppppffffftttttt

DCi
Ask your local tyre bit if you can borrow the ramp for 10. Would be half the battle

Was amazed when mine let me use theres on a busy afternoon for free !! Health and safety, ppppffffftttttt
was gonna say this is going to be the best idea - my girlfriends brother in law is a mechanic and has said i can bring my new exhaust round to his garage when i get it :D

Lots of Alfas
They are quite tricky on 172s, the manifold to cat bolts and nuts are hard to get to and the cat to centre seciont bolts/nuts corrode quite badly.

Its a also a 2 man/woman job as someone needs to have a spanner on the cat down the bonnet to manifold bolts while the other undoes the nuts on the otherside from underneath the car..

Youll need a new cat to manifold fitting kit from renault and new nuts and bolts for the other end. I have the part number.

1998 BMW e46 323i
^Indeed, new fitting kit, new nuts and bolts to attach to centre section, torx bits to remove the engine cover, assembly paste for cat-centre section, NOT manifold-cat, patience (lots of it) and an assistant with small hands, ideally a midget. I got the gf to help me.

It's not the most complex of jobs at all mate, it's just a pain in the feckin arse!