ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing gearbox oil good or bad idea?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
NFJ is semi synth and NFP is fully synth I think.

Not sure on exact specs, but NFP is closer to GL5 with it being GL4+

I know the brass synchro's don't get on with the higher sulphur content in GL5 stuff.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
With how much these boxes leak, how often do people typically go between refilling/changing. I last had mine done almost 3 years ago (approx 20k) when i purchased the car, and I'm thinking about switching it out for Red Line MT-90 75W90 GL-4.

My first 182 had a leaky box, and failed due to lack of oil after about 12 months of ownership, hence making sure i changed it straightaway on my latest car.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Nice pump. Looks like it'd make the job easier.

My insemination syringe? :ROFLMAO:

Yes it does make the job very easy, holds 500ml so not too many pumps gets the job done (as per). Cheap too!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074KQNL2Q/?tag=cliospnet01-21

I have another pump which I used last time round which also worked well but took longer and was a chore to clean after. This time round I was changing a shaft and planned to use the old fluid (only 10miles on it) but saw some brass sparkles which is to be expected to some degree as the box was freshly built. Decided to do the nice thing and use new fluid instead. With the bumper off (or maybe just the lower plastics) you can fill from underneath very easily.

Either way, both pumps were loads easier than pouring gearbox fluid all over your rocker cover hoping that 10% makes its way to the daft hole at the bottom.

1611055368301.png

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
With how much these boxes leak, how often do people typically go between refilling/changing. I last had mine done almost 3 years ago (approx 20k) when i purchased the car, and I'm thinking about switching it out for Red Line MT-90 75W90 GL-4.

My first 182 had a leaky box, and failed due to lack of oil after about 12 months of ownership, hence making sure i changed it straightaway on my latest car.

Since the rebuild on mine done by @NorthloopCup it doesn't leak anything.

I change mine every year with Redline MTL.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Same here, no leaks after a rebuild. I guess its just a waiting game though, I think there is a brass bush on the top of the selector shaft which wears, when it wears the seal gets a good hammering, always wondered if the bush could be exchanged for a needle roller.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Same here, no leaks after a rebuild. I guess its just a waiting game though, I think there is a brass bush on the top of the selector shaft which wears, when it wears the seal gets a good hammering, always wondered if the bush could be exchanged for a needle roller.

I'm sure Mark does something else while he's in there to make sure it doesn't leak 🤔