ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing powersteering pump

Artic 182
I've spent 30minutes doing a search with little luck but by all means please delete this if its a duplicate...

My powersteering pump whines like a trooper and needs to be changed. I havnt had a chance to examine its location or the difficulty of the job yet so i was wondering if anyone can shed some light? I have access to a ramp which should help...

Cheers, Louis

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
Are you certain its the power steering pump ?

Common problem is the tensioner on the aux belt. I know because mine is being repaired now.

Does it sound like it has a supercharger fitted or air is escaping ?

Artic 182
So you are insinuating its an easy change? Obviously i am going to spot it fairly quickly unless like i suspect renualt covered it up with various components

So you are insinuating its an easy change? Obviously i am going to spot it fairly quickly unless like i suspect renualt covered it up with various components

Yeah, it is pretty easy to do if you have a ramp, bit more of a pita on a driveway. Worst bit is fluid everywhere. It's very easy to spot. Had a pic somewhere but can't find it atm.

Artic 182
I have the pump now so i am ready to get going on this. Really would like some tips or advice if there is any? I am assuming slam panel off and maybe bumper and headlight along with arch lining?

weemark

ClioSport Club Member
  197 CUP
Its not necessary to take the bumper, slam pannel and headlight off. I managed to change mine after taking the driver wheel, inner plastic arch and the fabric-type belt cover off. I do have small girly hands though haha

BMW M135i
I cant see the alt coming off withough the slam panel off? O well, i'll see...
Bumper off and it'll come out through the hole where the left hand grille was, don't think you can get away with just taking the grille out as the bumper still obscures some of the hole.

Then aux belt off (replace it after!) aux tensioner off, alternator and all its assorted bracketry off, pas pulley off then then the four bolts securing the pump. Reverse to refit.

Its not a hard job just a b*****d awkward one due to lack of room between the aux assembly and the inner wing/chassis leg, it'll probably be worth taking the arch liner out deffo for rethreading and getting belt aux belt back on if you haven't done one before. Probably worth threading it then putting the alternator back on if you can then get it over the bottom idler last through the arch when holding the tensioner off but its a two man job to do it like this as someone will need to detension the tensioner whilst someone puts the belt the right side of the idler.

Ratchet and cranked spanner are a must and don't even kid yourself that you'll be able to torque anything up so make sure you gauge tightnesses right.

And as above don't cheap out on replacing the aux belt its more than a false economy, especially if it breaks!

BMW M135i
Oh and special tool needed for the aux tensioner so you either need to make one or laser do a copy but you'll need to mod it a little to work 100% properly. I'd offer to lend a hand but bit of a distance issue!

Artic 182
I'll be doing it at a motorsport workshop so fingers crossed i will have what i need. The belt was replaced 2k ago, do i really need to replace it?!

BMW M135i
For the sake of £20 and peace of mind in my eyes yes, its the tensioning/detensioning thats the problem not the age/miliage of the belt. If it break it will 95% wrap itself round the crank pulley and derail the cambelt, happened a million times with rather catastrophic results.

Artic 182
Sod it, you dont know how hard it'll be to find £20 a week before christmas...

Can i get a 6 rib from a motorfactors? Anyone know the length?

BMW M135i
Not sure on the factors side of things of the length, but its bloody long thats for sure. Renault is 82 00 226 493 and £18.28 (or thereabouts) if you come up stumps. It might be fine on the current belt but if it isn't £18 is cheaper than a top end rebuild.

S3, Polo
Can't help with the PAS pump, but:

you dont know how hard it'll be to find £20 a week before christmas...

Imagine developing a substantial cam-cover oil leak that NEEDS fixing! Fortunately it only started this week...

The belts need to be removed to access the area to be repaired = new belts required! FFS, they were new last March!!

I need to find a few hundred quid before the end of the week! :( Eurgh!

Artic 182
Right well, took the bugger apart and i mean literally, pulled it apart (bumper, light etc...) got the new pump on and all back to gether again in 3.5 hours, turned the key, no powersteering....

Oh dear, the pressure relief valve appears to be sitting on the bench....

:mad: