ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Chase Racing Clio Build Blog (TinTops Entry)

Chase Racing Clio
April 27[SUP]th[/SUP] 2012:

An eventful 24 hours has got us to where we want to be, ready for a long trip over to Anglesey. Brake lines have all been re-done as the flaring tool we had wasn't very good. We also applied a few finishing touches, such as clamping down the fire extinguisher and battery.

DSC03016.jpg

Our attempt to make our own rear polycarbonate screen looked pretty shoddy, so we popped over to the scrappy and found a white tailgate complete with glass for a mere 20 quid. We also managed to get some phase 1 rear lights to replace the one we smashed earlier on in the build. The good thing about this addition is that the inside of the boot now matches the white paint work inside the car!

DSC03025.jpg

We're pretty happy the car is ready for it's first test now, so we'll be up at stupid o'clock in the morning to head over to Anglesey and hopefully we'll be able to get some good track time in.

DSC03024.jpg

Chase Racing Clio
April 28[SUP]th[/SUP] 2012:

After a 4am departure, we are in Wales by 6am for a traditional McDonalds breakfast.

IMAG0113.jpg

We arrive at the track in perfect time, surrounded by beautiful scenery, just in time to sign on and attend the safety briefing.

IMAG0115.jpg

And so, Rob heads out first on to the track for a sighting lap behind the queue of cars and returns 3 laps later. Ryan then quickly jumps in and heads out on the track for the second wave of cars rolling round on sighting laps.

Ryan returns with the car 3 laps later and we need to change a few things; the sandwich plate holding the oil sensors and cooling pipes is leaking, so we have to pull that off and just stick to having the filter on its own. This is something we will need to remedy soon as we want to be able to monitor our pressures and temperatures. They both also comment that the standard road tyres we're starting out on are pretty bad and are experiencing quite a lot of understeer. We bring the pressures down to a more reasonable number, especially on the front. A few other minor adjustments like belts and a few loose electrical connectors and we're ready to go again.

So, it's time for me to head out in the car and as the track is now fully open, there's no time for driving round at 30 on a sighting lap. I head out steadily and start getting up to speed. The car is feeling smooth and tight, but the tyres are definitely letting it down, especially on the exit of the slower speed corners as it struggles to put the power down before being completely straight. I start to get into a rhythm after a few laps, still getting up to speed with the track. Then, as I come through church, I'm holding it in 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] as I get a better exit and looking for 4[SUP]th[/SUP] on the exit. I make one crucial mistake….I accidently knock it in to 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] for the briefest of moments!! I soon find 4[SUP]th[/SUP] again and I roll up to rocket. As I go to accelerate out of rocket, I can hear the faintest of tapping sounds and I know straight away something's wrong.

I steadily bring it back in and we check out what's happened. We're relatively confident it's not catastrophic and that we can fix it for pennies, but it means the end to the day before it's even really begun! We’re all gutted, but we know it's only the beginning of our adventures and are more than confident we'll turn it round and have the car ready very soon. We've taken the sensible decision to cancel the trip to Brands Hatch. We could probably get the car back ready if we really wanted to, but we've just not had enough seat time to risk all that money.

The car will head back inside, we'll apply even more finishing touches and we should see it back out on track within the month. Watch this space!

Chase Racing Clio
Bad news lad's better to happen now than get to the race...sorry won't get to race with you , yet.

Oh we'll be back very soon don't you worry. If we can build it from scratch in a few months, we can fix a minor problem pretty pronto I expect! Itching to get back on track after the very brief taster on saturday

Sorry to hear that guys :( I was wondering yesterday how you'd got on! Hope it's an easy fix and it's a shame you can't be at the first race.

The number of times I have selected the wrong gear in mine is untrue :( Luckily never pulled the clutch out enough to knacker it so I hope your's isn't too bad!

Bad luck guys - hope it turns out to be a quick fix. I noticed there was a rebuilt engine in the for sale section for 300 quid with lightened flywheel and "blue printed" ports, it says they've had the casting marks removed etc. Has new belts and clutch too so might be worth a look if you need one.

Is that your only fire extinguisher? It looks like a hand held and you need a plumbed in one for racing.

I'm hoping to have mine ready for the tin tops at Silverstone, although time is looking tight, so maybe see you there.

Chase Racing Clio
Bad luck guys - hope it turns out to be a quick fix. I noticed there was a rebuilt engine in the for sale section for 300 quid with lightened flywheel and "blue printed" ports, it says they've had the casting marks removed etc. Has new belts and clutch too so might be worth a look if you need one.

Is that your only fire extinguisher? It looks like a hand held and you need a plumbed in one for racing.

I'm hoping to have mine ready for the tin tops at Silverstone, although time is looking tight, so maybe see you there.

Attaching our scuttle pull and nozzles is on our list of things to do. That's it just mounted in place for now.

Don't think we'll bother going to Silverstone now, spend some time testing the car and then try and do as many of the remaining races as we can is probably the sensible thing to do from now on.

Chase Racing Clio
Wow, bad luck guys, shame you won't be at Brands. Cant you just stick another engine in ?

Of course, but we're pretty sure it doesn't need that and we really don't have the money to do that at the moment. We just wanna get in the car and start learning to drive, no point throwing much more money at it.

172 Race Car
so £340 back then, buy an engine, stick it in and come to silverstone. Sod all this doing a million trackdays to get used to it. Racing is nothing like it, just get out there :race:

172 Cup/123d/405Mi16
Push on and get it to the grid.
Triumph in the face of adversity and all that.

(I don't know what Triumph's have got to do with Clios)

BMW Z4
so £340 back then, buy an engine, stick it in and come to silverstone. Sod all this doing a million trackdays to get used to it. Racing is nothing like it, just get out there :race:

Do what I did

Qualify in 3rd
Spin off on first lap
knackered wheel bearing
Borked wishbone
and 2 points on my license for good measure :)

Nothing like a baptism of fire...

PH1 172 (Track Car)
Unlucky chaps - I did think that you were cutting things a bit tight!

Much better idea to get a few track/test days under your belt before going racing IMO.

Hope you can get the car sorted quickly (any ideas to what the problem is yet?) and start enjoying the driving part.

Ben

172 Race Car
We did 20 mins each in our car (had 2 alterntor failures too) before going racing. Finished 4th in our 2nd ever meeting, only my inexperiance kept us off the podium.

I'll say it again, imo no trackday can prepare you for racing

PH1 172 (Track Car)
We did 20 mins each in our car (had 2 alterntor failures too) before going racing. Finished 4th in our 2nd ever meeting, only my inexperiance kept us off the podium.

I'll say it again, imo no trackday can prepare you for racing

Yes, I agree that it probably won't prepare the drivers. However, it will help prepare the car.

Chase Racing Clio
Yeh, exactly. We really haven't used this car at all and we still have some prep work to do on it before we race it. Doing a little bit of testing will acheive this and also give us a chance to learn the tracks we're going to be going to in the future.

Chase Racing Clio
Looks like we're gonna head down to Brands anyway this upcoming monday, despite not racing. Keen to meet all the people and see all the cars. Is it just 3 clios now then?

Chase Racing Clio
May 8[SUP]th[/SUP] 2012:

Once again, the Chase Racing team has been busy in the garage….. After our antics in Anglesey, we had a quiet week to give ourselves a bit of time to recover before tackling the car. We then took the crippled engine apart to identify the problem. Our first observation was this:

DSC03028.jpg

The top of piston 4 looks particularly shiney, which can mean only one thing….it's been touching the head! So, this must mean that something beneath has moved that small amount for it to move the piston further up. After rolling the block over and inspecting the crank, we found this:

DSC03037.jpg

This again is piston 4 and as you can see, the bearing has spun and in fact the shells have overlapped! We attribute this to the excessive engine speed (from the missed gear) causing a movement enough to let the bearings slip passed each other. We also believe that as the car was exiting a high speed corner at the time of the incident, oil starvation might have contributed to this.

After further inspection of the remaining big end bearings, we found that all of them looked like they were on their way out as well. So, the fact that the engine was getting on a bit didn't help the situation. The crankshaft looks to be reasonably unharmed, so hopefully that will still be good to use in the next engine derivation.

Meanwhile, we have sourced another engine!! We made a quick trip down to Kent to catch the TinTops qualifying session and then pick up our new engine from nearby. A productive bank holiday Monday it was! The engine was soon back in our garage….

DSC03038.jpg

We got on with dressing the engine with all the relevant ancillary items and got it on the crane. Ryan also did a very nice job of wrapping the exhaust too.

DSC03040.jpg

Next thing you know….the engine is in! We just need to connect everything up and we should be ready to run it up to temperature and check it's as solid as it looks. As soon as we're confident it's a go-er, we'll book another test and get some crucial seat time in.

DSC03045.jpg

Arctic Blue FF 182
Great progress as normal guys. Great to see you ploughing on regardless of the setbacks! Look forward to seeing the update of the new engine firing up ok.

Chase Racing Clio
Yehh, sorry Tony.... didn't get a chance to chat, we weren't around for very long at all. Had a quick chat with Jay then had to get off to get that engine! We'll be back another time and for a bit longer next time. Might try and pop down to silverstone if we're available, that's assuming you're going to that race??

Chase Racing Clio
Here's a few questions for all tin-toppers.... regarding a few rules.

What's your strategy with switching on your rain lights? Our plan is to wire the top mounted light so that it comes on with the main lights. So, our normal brake lights will operate as normal (minus top mounted one) and then we will have a switch for all the lights, which will include the rain light. Otherwise, we need a separate switch for both normal lights and rain light and Rob isn't keen on yet another switch.

Also, do we really need a door card?? We've cut the inner skin from the door, so nothing structural has gone. Then, we're gonna just attach a strap and fix the pull wire so that we can open and close the door with consummate ease. There's nothing in the bluebook describing the need for an inner cover of any description, so as far as we're concerned, we're fine....

Think you can just use the foglights as rain lights, believe it can be one light in the centre of the car of two of the same height/width from the centre of the car.

You'll need to cover the doors, a blank sheet of fibreglass/carbon fibre/polycarb.

Chase Racing Clio
Think you can just use the foglights as rain lights, believe it can be one light in the centre of the car of two of the same height/width from the centre of the car.

Yehhh, I realise which lights we need to use.... the question is about whether to switch the rain light on with the normal lights or whether it needs to be a separate switch?