ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cheap air con delete 90% done today

172 PH1
Been thinking about doing this for ages now (not long after I bought it). So today we had a little crack.

Removed the a/c rad whilst doing a coolant rad change the other day, so that and the pipes were gone - just the heavy a/c compressor that remained. After a little research I did not want to spend hundreds on an ac delete kit or a cup kit, I'm just not that way inclined - so found a little thread on here where the idler was replaced with a ribbed idler thus allowing compressor removal.

Weve gotten almost all the way there, a few pics are below but we've basically got to a point where we just need to route a new length belt. The basics are remove belt, remove tensioner, remove compressor. Then bracket on front of block gets unbolted allowing access to the small idler, replace with new ribbed idler, re bolt bracket back to block.

Then a nice new tensioner fitted - and that's now far we got (we don't like to work too hard)

So got a few pics and a little mock up of the belt run, we wil crack on again Monday/Tuesday and see what happens.

Would anyone be interested if I comprised a kit I.e. new idler, belt etc for a cheap price. I'm no trader or anything, but if it helps people out?

Anyway, some very premature pics.

LIt4El.jpg

Above, old compressor coming off.

JrF9Pl.jpg

Ac / alt bracket pulled forward so you can see the new pulley bolted up.

YujQkl.jpg

New belt mocked up so you get the idea etc.

Well there we go, as I said - we've fitted a new tensioner which we both wanted to die after doing, and never want to do one again, but that's optional lol. Just need a bit of trying and testing on new belt lengths and get one right and then we will be ready to go.

Will keep you posted.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
seen the same thing done once before but couldn't find the idler. Had some slight concern over the length of the belt run at the front too. it's the kind of run that would normally have an idler

172 PH1
That was my one last concern - the belt run length.

I don't like it too much either, but a good and correct alignment should suffice.

Time will tell...

172 PH1
Result.

Got this finished today and all is good. Belt it straight and true, idler sits there nice and comfortably. Road test fine and you can feel a definate difference, engine feels more lively. Really chuffed with this.

Ill try and get a few pics or even a vid up later.

Ive got all part numbers etc i need to make some kits, so ill do some miles in her and see how we go.

:cool:

RenaultSport 172
How hard is it to remove the air con radiator and pipework?
How much weight is saved if you just remove the above and leave the compressor?
Really want to do this on my phase 1 as the air con doesn't work anyway. Can't really be bothered to spend £200 on it though

330i. E30 Touring.
How hard is it to remove the air con radiator and pipework?
How much weight is saved if you just remove the above and leave the compressor?
Really want to do this on my phase 1 as the air con doesn't work anyway. Can't really be bothered to spend £200 on it though

Pipework and air con rad will be less than 5kgs saving.

It's not a difficult job. Front bumper off, slam panel off, then you can remove the rad and pipework.

Audi A5
Result.

Got this finished today and all is good. Belt it straight and true, idler sits there nice and comfortably. Road test fine and you can feel a definate difference, engine feels more lively. Really chuffed with this.

Ill try and get a few pics or even a vid up later.

Ive got all part numbers etc i need to make some kits, so ill do some miles in her and see how we go.

:cool:

So what idler pulley and belt have used for this conversion?