ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cheap quick mods , for 182

RenaultSport clio 182 cup
Be told that on the intake for the air box there is a regulator down near the head light, sort of from the cold air feed i surpose. If this is removed, bypassed, should improve responce , true?

182 Full Fat
Don't be so sure. i have removed this, and believe the car feels better on throttle response (only slight, but still improved):) I have done the same as what is shown in the link below,and fitted my own 85mm air feed. The thing that is removed is called the acoustic valve:

See here: http://cliotrophy.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1592&highlight=

I believe the only reason Renault fitted this valve is for Road regualtions (noise probably!) This has been confirmed by Mark Fish as stated

Lionel Richie
there is a slight truth to it yes

BUT you'll need a viper, a decat and a cat back, and a remap to notice any real testicals

182 Full Fat
^^^^^ as above, I have a de-cat on my list to purchase next!!:evil: And should then really notice improvement

Last edited:
what is this part there for and will anything be damaged long term by its removal would it pass its mot without it on etc? where abouts is the part anyway and how do you get it out i would like to try to see what happens

clidge said:
what is this part there for and will anything be damaged long term by its removal would it pass its mot without it on etc? where abouts is the part anyway and how do you get it out i would like to try to see what happens

The mk1 172 never had one fitted, & some same this is the quickest of all Renaultsport Clios??

I believe it was added to meet drive by noise restrictions - just waiting for confirmation from the panel of experts on the rs forum.

No problems with MOTs, no change to mpg, only effects have been positive so far.

s**t this sounds really good need some extra details mate i think i will give this a go need to know the facts 100% though cos i am not the best mechanic in the world cheers mate can you combine this mod with an induction kit

182 Full Fat
Its easy to remove the valve. Just jack it up, remove front passenger wheel, then pull wheel arch liner back. The acoustic valve is just behind the horn. Why suffocate the car with a valve controlled 58mm air feed, when you can fit a straight through 85mm feed??

silly question is this the same 172 as 182's etc and it does nothing to harm the car except increase a little ion throttle response ummmmmmmmm detailed procedure for doing this would be great and pics as well cheers again

182 Full Fat
See link further up page, it shows 7MAT's photos of him fitting the new air feed, and picture od the old acoustic valve. Its really only a 30min job.

Well i have bypassed this inlet valve so i have a direct cold air feed from the fog light to the air box. Thing is i have left the valve with vacum tubes in place will this effect anything

R

rich[182]

How easy is it to peel back the wheelarch liner, does it easily damage or are there any screws to remove first ?

................anyway advise for an itg panel filter with decent air feed as mentioned and possibly lowering it

removing the wheel arch plastic is easy enough, just a couple of plug and one screw. I removed the whole valve unit but what do u do with the lines that are attached to it? So decided to leave the unit in and just bypass it , thus leaving the electrics still attached to the valve.

Lionel Richie
just unplug the electrics

the vac tube going to it needs to be blocked off, a nail works well (if you're a pikey cheapskate)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
^ lol, i just refitted the valve off the unit back to front, as it a non return type

tiTTy & SV650
i have thousands of t pieces spigots bungs etc at work, what diameter is the vacuum pipe?

where does the vacuum come from? inlet manifold? if so not blocking it off could lead to the engine running lean as its drawing air direct to the cylinder head and could damage valve seals, piston rings etc for instance....

Lionel Richie
you'll see a vaccum pipe just to the left of the throttle body as you look at it (with the cover off), thats where it comes from

nail sounds good! put my finger over it and the car idles really low so i am just leaving it all there as if it was workin, but the cool air feed is completly bypassin it and goin straight to the box! Take her out for a run today see what its like!

can i just double check guys if you fit an induction kit of some sort this will be by passed therefore creating the affect as mentioned or not?????????

tiTTy & SV650
FredYozzasport said:
you'll see a vaccum pipe just to the left of the throttle body as you look at it (with the cover off), thats where it comes from

cool, so it's a good idea to block the pipe off then eh. nail or otherwise.

defo not wise leaving it drawing air. Works in much the same way as Scottoiler or a vacuum fuel tap on a motorbike.

So if i leave the vac pipe attached to the unit it cant make a difference can it ? It just closes the valve, but if i have bypassed the air flow around this unit the valve can close as much as it likes. Does that make sence?

Nissan 350Z
7MAT said:
The mk1 172 never had one fitted, & some same this is the quickest of all Renaultsport Clios??

I believe it was added to meet drive by noise restrictions - just waiting for confirmation from the panel of experts on the rs forum.

If you are talking about cats, then i dont think so - all cars were required to have them around 92-93, way before the mk1 172 came out.

tiTTy & SV650
nah he was talking about the acoustic valve.

my 1991 205 gti was one of the last new cars to not require a cat by law.