ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cheaper 15 or a high power 12

A silver Honda

Sorry if this is a silly question but I cant decide between getting either a JBL GT4 15" or a JBL P1220E 12". Which of those would kick out the most bass?

I listen to Hiphop/Rap mostly but sometimes a bit of Drum n Bass and Garage. Also would my Kenwood 7201 amp be powerful for the JBL 12"?

Cheers

Skoda Fabia vRS

personally id go for the 12"

you do know the JBL GT4-15 is only £75 in your local Motor World !?...the GT4-12 is only £50

A silver Honda

My mate bought a GT3 15" from Motorworld and it sounds pretty good. The thing is I want deep low end bass with a bit of punch and flexiblity. I know 10"s are for punch, 15"s are for deep bass and 12"s are the compromise. Would putting that JBL 12" in a ported box match a 15" for bass?

the JBL P1220E 12". a cheap sub? u mad? i have 2 and they cost me £260, they have sh*t loads of rms and kick like f**k IF u have decent amps to power them! like 2 x 1600w kenwood amps :D

then they kick! but if u aint got the power i wouldnt bother!

A silver Honda

I know P1220Es arent cheap, but JBL GT4s are. I have a Kenwood 7201 amp. When bridged it kicks out 1 x 460w rms. The P1220Es run at 400w RMS with peak of 1600w. Is that not enough for one sub?

[Edited by JD1860 on 07 July 2004 at 11:28am]

basicly wen buying a sub get the highest rms for the money u r spendin! simplist way!

how much u payin if u get jbl?

A silver Honda

£110 without a box from bassjunkies.com I think thats the best Ive found so far. Im only considering a ported box because I heard it gives you deeper bass compared to sealed box. Does the bass become too heavy or very boomy in ported box then?

Quote: Originally posted by h3lter on 07 July 2004

basicly wen buying a sub get the highest rms for the money u r spendin! simplist way!

how much u payin if u get jbl?
thats awful advice, you should get a sub that matches your amplifier power.

if you have little RMS to play with amp wise, then you should get a lower sub with high sensitivity (less power to get loud)

if you have a lot of RMS play with, then get a high power sub, but these usually take a lot of power to get moving,

A silver Honda

Thanks for all the advice guys. I think im gonna go with the 15". I dont wanna buy another more powerful amp to run that JBL 12" as I want to spend my money on some other things like a K-Tec K8 Exhaust system & Decat.:)

Cheers

[Edited by JD1860 on 07 July 2004 at 8:33pm]

agree with adam, that is useless advise. Just because an subwoofer may claim to have excellent rms ratings, doesnt make it an excellent compromise for sq or spl at that matter. You also have to take into account what impedance your looking for. Bridged i would imagine your going for a single voice coil with an impedance of 4 ohms. If you only have 460wrms to supply, why not look at a re se 12, second hand, can pick them up for about £125 to £150 in good condition, whack that in a ported box and your away. Just remember to keep your gains reasonable as the se is rated at 600wrms, but plenty of ppl have got them sounding superb off less. I am currently running mine off a 5th channel of my ppiamp at 400wrms, and its enuf to fill a car up, and has superb sq.