ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Civic Type R

thats the funny thing it only has a 1.7 engine and is slower 0-60 and 0-100 but the chassis is soooo damn good it doesnt need to be that fast really

Astra 1.9cdti XP

A little faster yes, no match is a slight exageration! On paper the 172 is faster than a VTS but we all know results. There is even less in it between a CTR and 172 so its even tighter.

KeithO will give an honest opinion, wont ya mate?!?!

im sorry but a vts ffs ive destroyed loads rd here, a 1.6 with 120bhp nah.. My mate has a CTR and even he admits its not any quicker than my 172, in fact i think mines quicker :) i think the CTR looks odd. a VTS haha thats a joke i nearly rear ended one i think he needed a push.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

A civic type R is deffinatly a match for the 172, but I agree it would be down to driver skill on this one.

Saxo VTS.. nah, no match. I dont class the saxo in the same league as the 172, but I dont knock the Saxo VTS/106 Gti as they are a lot of rocket for your pocket.

yeah.. ive test drove a CTR felt solid and engines are the nuts, its prob faster top end i dont know it felt planted though. If it weighed 1050kg it would take off

Vts/106 are mini pocket rockets.

From my limited experience (one encounter when I was running my CTR it in) the two cars are pretty even in a straight line. The car has 6000k on now and definatley feels quicker.

Still looking for a RS, although I had a bit of play with a SL500 the other day. Quite satifying to stay with a car (to around 80 small stretch of road before we had to brake) which costs £50k more!!!

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Craggys vids shows that the difference is not as much as you might think between 172 and VTS. The VTS is one car I have never had the opportunity to play with but I have played with lots of CTRs!

FRS Mk3 Red edition

Keith O

have you done the MAC course?if not i will give you the number for MAC so you can get yourself booked in.

Griff- when you come over to redditch next time, we will have to go down the alvechurch highway?

St Horne,

Cheers mate but I was booked in in January but had to cancel. I am booked in for April now and cant wait. I think my mate is actually on his today.

Astra 1.9cdti XP

What is the MAC couse?

Do they teach you how to MAC bread? Best way to bake, how to fit as much bread in the back so you get the best load....etc? ;)

FRS Mk3 Red edition

Keith

absolutely brilliant day.the instructors are ex police and have every driving qualification possible.i did mine yesterday and i learned so much about positioning on the road, safety, road craft etc etc.

he really encouraged me to "drive the car" around some lovely welsh B roads.the best day of driving i have ever had.

FRS Mk3 Red edition

Geordiepaul-

you dont get airbags in a CTR. you have loaves of hovis instead.

we didnt have to stop for lunch, the instructor mades sarnies while i drove.

Underestimate the VTS/106 GTi at your peril. Any 172/CTR destroying a "VTS" would in fact be destroying a VTR. Theyre slower in a straight line, but not by as much as wed all like to think! See Craggys videos.

People often have strong opinions based on their experiences.

I had a 5-door Citroen Xsara behind me once and it seemed to be keeping up with me fairly well, no matter how hard I tried. In fact, it seemed that the grin on the face of the driver would have to be surgically removed so happy was he to be keeping up with my 16v.

But I got home and realised that a fuel line from the fuel pressure regulator (facet PBV) had come loose and was dripping fuel - and making me a LOT slower than normal!

His impression will now either be that his 100bhp boat is a hot hatch slayer, or that the 16v is a slow car!

What Im saying is that throwing figures and stories around when cars seem so closely matched in terms of speed is a bit pointless. We only do it because power, speed and timings the only aspects of a car that you can really measure and compare.

The 172, CTR, 106, VTS and so on are all good hot hatches and are closer than people might (and might like to) think.

clio 20v

went out in it today for a little spin under 6k its just like a valver under 4k its not got much go but hit 6.5k and it pulls like fuk up to about 8400rpm

the vtec thingy is addictive its mad the engine note changes completely and it flies, i took him out in mine and he doesnt reckon his is any quicker but i think theres more of an acceleration rush when the vtec kicks in in the ctr, seems very hard work though keeping it in the narrow power band which shows up on the twisties

not had chance for a play yet but coming off roundabouts the clio pulls a gap and on the motorway accelarating fron 60-90 there wasnt anything in it but i got on the power first, borrowed him the ap-22 for a few runs will put up results tomorrow

CTR EK9 turbo

A friend has a VTS and ive lost count to how many times weve raced. Even when he goes on orange i can still overtake and beat him. Even beat him when i was 4-up, and him 2 up. If i take him onto a large runway then he is toast by a long way. Possibly his is a slow example?? and mine the other extreme?

Underestimate the VTS/106 GTi at your peril

haha what a 1.6 are you joking? How much faster would you say they are to a corsa GSI when moving?

lighter and a far better chassis........

basically....if you think the VTS/gti is crap....get into a corsa which is proably the worst hatch out there.

172man: I know it makes absolutely no sense on paper that a VTS/GTi should be as fast as a 172 - but until youve either come up against one or seen some videos youre not fully in the picture! :D

CTR EK9 turbo

who was the guy that i toasted ages ago in a 16v and came up next to me at some lights and said "thats a ***in tool mate!" Blue 16v with filter and exhaust by the sounds of things. The corsas ive driven handle like a banana.

lol might of known it would get back to bloody VTSs!

As for the CTR, remember its a VTEC, so unless in high revs it doesnt go anywhere, so in the real world a 172 would have no problems.

-Rob

i dont think a 172 would whip a CTR, I think it would be close.

I will have to have a go against one just to see how quick they are, have not seen many around here.

Scott

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Havent raced a CTR yet, was behind one recently at a set of traffics.. but it was an old lady driving and wasnt up for a race.

If anyone in a 172 has a "run in" with a CTR you had better be in the right gear at the right revs to get the drop on one.

I have had a go with a couple and they are fast. Put it this way at about !20 the CTR was begining to pull away and believe me I was giving it all I had - foot welded to the floor!

Quote: Originally posted by geordiepaul on 11 February 2003

Might point out my wok mate who had a CTR sold it and is now looking at a Clio Williams.

Had a bit of fun now and again with his CTR and it was pretty even I could never have got passed though but he never pulled away!!
I will point out that I got rid of the CTR because I am moving to France and therefore want a French car aka a Williams which is a fantastic car. As for the CTR it was the most fun I had with my cloths on. Exceptional handling, addictive IVTEC, very well built and very very quick. If I wasnt moving to France I wouldnt have sold it.

Astra 1.9cdti XP

"As for the CTR it was the most fun I had with my cloths on"

But I heard you were moving to France cos the neighbours complained cos you used to drive it without any clothes on!

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

It was a close call when buying my 172 whether I should go for a CTR, there is still a little voice in the back of my head saying "why didnt I get the CTR" Well the CTR is slightly quicker, and has a higher top end but in all the magazines I am yet to see one beat a 172 on a track or on a 1/4 mile. 172 has lots more kit as standard, and is a smaller lighter car, does need 17s though. CTR is a different sized car more comparable to the RS or R32.

172 is the fastest car in its catagory (Yaris T-Sport, VTS, Polo GTi, Cooper S). Unlike the CTR which is now out paced by several (147 GTA, Golf R32, Focus RS.)

They are both great cars and I will probably end up owning either a CTR or R32 in the future.

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 12 February 2003

As for the CTR, remember its a VTEC, so unless in high revs it doesnt go anywhere,
Ooooo.....i think your underestimating the VTEC system!!! its ingenious, and fab, and solves most problems. Only reason it feels bland before the 3rd stage is because the first 2 lobes are of far more sedate profile, and the kick is just huge.

A clio makes 172bhp @ 6250 and mailto:200NM@ 5400rpm">200NM @ 5400rpm according to this site.

A CTR makes 197bhp @ 7400rpm and 196NM @ 5900 rpm....and 90% of the peak torque is available at 3000rpm! so, where is this lack of go?

The only reason why it feels bland is because its so well designed you dont notice the low down smooth running. It a great system, far better than teh CRAP VVT we have....which doesnt even desrve the VVT tag....

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

ye I had heard already that the VVT on the clio was the most basic form of VVT.

Still love my little clio though.