ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Civic Type R

RB5 & 172

i came up against a ctr on my way home last night and to my surprise did manage to pull him in when going from a 40 zone up to about 80, then it was level all the way to around 120.

to be fair though i think he was running on 18s, still put a smile on my face!

RB5 & 172

I work with a lad who had to take his ctr back to the dealer 5 times as the alarm kept going off. it got a recall back to the factory to be sorted!

i think it was something to do with the 2003 alarm spec which has also caused a problem with the special limited edition ctr.

FRS Mk3 Red edition

as with all cars, the CTR suffers from some teething problems, im sure the 172 owners have experienced this 2. My CTR has been back for a couple of minor niggles but nothing drastic enough to consider rejecting it. oil consumption is not a problem on mine at all.

once again the thread has turned to be negative towards the CTR?

i know we all love our individual cars unconditionally whatever they may be,and will defend them to the hilt, but lets try and be positive about other makes and models as i would never dream to come on her and really let rip on the 172, even though at the moment my g/f is suffering from a nightmare with hers. It has actually reduced her to tears, which believe is no mean task, as she has to put up with me!!!!!!!

long live all hot hatches of any make, model,bhp torque,etc etc, i salute you all!!!!

172 Cup

Can some-one please lock this thread as it getting beyond a joke.

As a 172 owner I just want to say that the Civic IS faster than a 172 overall. Anyone who wants to talk bo**ocks and argue otherwise please come to Redditch and we can make some direct comparisons with a CTR, if you dont want to put it to the test then shut up.

The reason I left my last car club (Punto GT) was because members would not accept the fact that their car was not the fastest thing on the planet and when ever a threat came along they all starting talking crap. Now its starting all over again on here.

For over 15 months I have listened to people claim that a 172 will beat everything from Scoobies and Evos to 330s and Itrs. Come on be realistic. I love my 172, its fast, good looking and comfortable but Im not going to keep to it forever.

S2000

In my expereince the 172 and the CTR are very closely matched in terms of performance, again its all down to the driver and how quickly he can change gear! Now I havent had my car on the rollers but telford_mike has had 159BHP@wheels (admittedly modded but im not convinced the mods have done much there!), that translates into around mailto:185BHP+@fly">185BHP+@fly, now theres no way a CTR will pull away from that, im not saying that the 172 will go past either though!

Ill take your challenge on, only itll have to be at Crail, coz Redditch sound like its a fair bit away! Ive never seen a CTR get below 15.1/2 so Im going to be right up there with it(or is that the other way around?)

172 Cup

If by that you mean the 172 is faster then have the guts to say it.

Mate if you think it is then your driving must be cr*p.

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

CTR is an excellent small family car and doubles well as a hot hatch, I didnt need the extra weight or size so bought a 172 maybe later in life I will. Clios are in the super mini league and are not aimed at small families but young single people. Clios are then smaller, weigh less, good handling, proper hot hatches. CTRs seem to be aimed at older people, (my opinion) I have only seen one that was driven by someone in their twentys. They are good value for money but not as good value for money as a 172.

I doubt either will go down in history as a legend like the Williams.

CTR is faster. :(

S2000

Quote: Originally posted by griff_90 on 18 February 2003

If by that you mean the 172 is faster then have the guts to say it.

Mate if you think it is then your driving must be cr*p.

I missed that WTF do you mean?

FRS Mk3 Red edition

teady the honda-r club do not sl*g the 172 at all ,if you care to look at a recent post, someone was asking which one to buy, a 172 or a CTR ,and not one negative comment was aimed at the 172.they atually praised the 172 capabilities.

Quote: Originally posted by ST HORNE on 18 February 2003

teady the honda-r club do not sl*g the 172 at all ,if you care to look at a recent post, someone was asking which one to buy, a 172 or a CTR ,and not one negative comment was aimed at the 172.they atually praised the 172 capabilities.

Because the fact is the 172 is better for gods sake!

S2000

Im saying that the Honda-R board seems to have a better standard of posters, I was talking about http://www.civictype-r.co.ukwww.civictype-r.co.uk.

There was a post a couple of weeks back that made me chuckle regarding the Cup, I think. I just left them to it!

FRS Mk3 Red edition

rob give it a rest..please take off your clio blinkers and have a look at the big picture.

clio best, clio best , clio best, clio best, clio best, that seems to be youre only opinion.

S2000

No no, listen I dont think the Clio is any better than the CTR, or vice versa. This thread seemed to spiral out of control when Bullit came on showing that he had the IQ of a deaf&dumb chimp, from there on it was more about him than the Civic, i think!

:D

FRS Mk3 Red edition

well said teady

they are all hot hachtes that serve a purpose and each to their own.the 172 is a steal @ the price you pay as an import and cannot be bettered anywhere is this class of car.

i think every one has missed my point about us all being car enthusiasts and not actually rivals.

i wish you all a pleasant evening.

see ya later Griff

Its the same on all car BBs. Everyone arguing for their own car. I cant think of any current hot hatches i wouldnt own - im sure someone will point one out tho.

clio 20v

evry 1 would has a favorite car though and most peeps probably looked at others in the same class and made there choice which was best obviously it was the clio otherwise they wouldnt be mebers of the club, when i was lookin for the valver i checked out lots of others e.g 205 gti rs turbo e.t.c

i liked the clio the best bought mine, in my eyes it IS better than a 205 gti and an rs turbo e.t.c otherwise id have bought one of them, doesnt mean i wouldnt have either though

i dont think anybody thinks the CTR is crap, its frikkin ace, and its new than the 172, which means is has moved on......

But, its testimony to teh 172 that it can keep up.

anyway, i think most people were merely pissed off with bullit forbeing a narrowminded ignorant arse.

Both the CTR and the Cup are evenly matched as far as in gear times are concerned however top end the CTR is defiantely faster due to its higher power. I have a CTR , I did look at a Cup, drove it extensively and liked it a lot, but it was the CTRs engine which won it for me, and the fact it had a better (6 speed ) gearbox. IMO the Williams is still a far better B road blaster than the Cup or the CTR. Give me a Williams with the CTR engine and gearbox and Id be a happy chappy :) Clio is still a bit of a girls car though lol! ;)