ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clearing things up, oil breather filter.

tadas

ClioSport Club Member
  RS Clio 172 Ph1
Hello guys,

Currently I own a RS clio 172 ph1, and after looking into ktec style do it yourself thread, I have made a decision to build my own intake.

However here in Lithuania samco hose with a breather included is quite expensive. So here is what I am unsure about:

If I build an intake without the breather line included in it, as I suspect I will put a small oil filter on the pipe coming from the back of the motor to catch the oil rather then return it to the intake.

However, I am worried that it might upset some sort of system or cycle.

Or maybe I am just paranoid and it will not have any effect on the motor other then giving it cleaner air?

Please help me understand if this is the right thing to do and if there are any risks that I should know of.

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
No problem with doing that, my RS2'd car just has a pipe from the breather pipe going into a mocal oil catch tank

tadas

ClioSport Club Member
  RS Clio 172 Ph1
No problem with doing that, my RS2'd car just has a pipe from the breather pipe going into a mocal oil catch tank

Would it be better for me to also set up a oil catch tank rather then just put a small filter on the remaining hose? Or is it indifferent?

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Set up a catch tank. Think a few members on here do it.

tadas

ClioSport Club Member
  RS Clio 172 Ph1
Set up a catch tank. Think a few members on here do it.

I am quite unfamiliar with setting one up. Is there a guide in members section for it? Or could you guys just recommend me a part number that I can easily put on?

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I'm not familiar with them myself so best waiting for another member to point you in right direction. Sorry

172 cup
Just need to find somewhere to mount it , there's usually enough room next to the battery
seeing as you will be removing the airbox, I even saw one on here mounted sideways on top
of the battery which looked quite neat. You just need to run a pipe from the original breather
to the catch tank then another one from the catch tank to a small breather filter.

172, Tiguan
On a Ph1 it's the ICV pipe. You're not going to get a massive amount of oil out of that! Just buy a small filter for the end of the pipe.

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
282234_10151800960780562_97958604_n.jpg

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
How mine is mounted above, I then ran a pipe from the breather to the catch tank

tadas

ClioSport Club Member
  RS Clio 172 Ph1
Interesting, so should I buy the catch can, or just stick with the small filter? also if I get an oil filter from what I read before it ought to be a 15mm one?

V16daf, what is the part number, or name of the tank you used? How helpful is it?

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
ge4avymy.jpg

This is mine, you can see the pipe running from oil breather to catch tank.

The return pipe is routed down the side of the gearbox with a small breather filter on the end.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
This is the 'pre catch tank' set up

ynahyzap.jpg

Either option works, I swapped to the tank as the car was breathing a little oil which was dripping down the back of the engine.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Catch tank is the respectful option if you are going on track ,rather than drip oil out of a breather if you engine starts to breathe heavy, its also a good way for you to monitor the breathing of your engine.

Its better doing that than routing it back into the inlet, thats only done so that customers dont have to empty catch cans when they buy a new car etc, its considered more environmentally friendly to burn it out the exhaust for some insane reason!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If it wasnt for the silver strut tops I would have thought that was my mrs car J, they really are twins, lol

5ec7a29c.jpg

172, Tiguan
The pipe the guy is talking about is for a PH1 though and thats the ICV hose. On the PH2 its a breather pipe isn't it? I've not had a ph2 for a year or so.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If I build an intake without the breather line included in it, as I suspect I will put a small oil filter on the pipe coming from the back of the motor to catch the oil rather then return it to the intake.

Jon_r, I dont think you are correct there mate, the OP seems to be very clearly describing the breather that normally routes into the inlet manifold, which is not the same thing as the ISCV pipe at all.

172, Tiguan
Not sure about that. He talks of an inlet elbow with a breather going into it, on the ph1 that'd be the icv pipe. Though, alternatively you could be right, it all reads a little oddly, even though the English is admirably excellent. Personally I think he's got the two mixed up, the breather on the PH1 goes back under the TB doesn't it?

Guess we'll see what he comes back with.

tadas

ClioSport Club Member
  RS Clio 172 Ph1
Ughh guys, yet again I come here with my cup of coffee and have new things to learn about my little silver beast.

Here is the clarification:

1. I have bought a pipercross filter and couple of 90 degree bent pipes to go with it. I will remove my air intake asembly.

2. Problem is that the old intake pipe has another small hose sticking out of it, which from what I understand gives oil back to the intake (not a 100% sure).

3. I would buy an intake pipe that comes with an extra smaller pipe to go back to the engine like this:

ktecp150_f.jpg

4. But this one is quite hard to obtain in Lithuania AND expensive, so I found two that connect and do not have that small hose bit coming out.

5. Question then was what to do with the remaining pipe.

6 The solution that seems to be given is to set up a oil filter or oil tank with the oil filter then was what the good folks suggested.

7. Just in case my car is 1999 Renault Clio Sport 172 phase 1.

172, Tiguan
Ughh guys, yet again I come here with my cup of coffee and have new things to learn about my little silver beast.

Here is the clarification:

1. I have bought a pipercross filter and couple of 90 degree bent pipes to go with it. I will remove my air intake asembly.

2. Problem is that the old intake pipe has another small hose sticking out of it, which from what I understand gives oil back to the intake (not a 100% sure).

3. I would buy an intake pipe that comes with an extra smaller pipe to go back to the engine like this:

View attachment 90578

4. But this one is quite hard to obtain in Lithuania AND expensive, so I found two that connect and do not have that small hose bit coming out.

5. Question then was what to do with the remaining pipe.

6 The solution that seems to be given is to set up a oil filter or oil tank with the oil filter then was what the good folks suggested.

7. Just in case my car is 1999 Renault Clio Sport 172 phase 1.

If your car is a phase 1 then the pipe coming from the breather elbow will go to the Idle Control Valve, not the engine breather. Its worth checking that on your car as the solutions are very different.

If your car does have a later setup and that pipe goes to a breather then you can fit a catch tank like all these random photos are showing.

tadas

ClioSport Club Member
  RS Clio 172 Ph1
This is what another member from here got from my VIN number, so I am 99.9% certain that it is a phase 1 car. which then you suggest means that it will go to Idle Control Valve. What do I do in that case?

Here is the proof:

Registration numberBK732KY

Vehicle identification number (VIN)VF1CB0M0F22558306

ModelClio II
Model typeCB0M

ct_pop-up.jpg

technical criteriatechnical criteria

NO SIZE/WEIGHT INFORMATION LABEL
EVOLUTION OF COMMERCIAL VERSION (VERSION DUPLICATION)
5-SPEED MANUAL GEARBOX
WITHOUT LUGGAGE COVER
4X15 WATT RADIO CASSETTE WITH TRAFFIC INFORMATION
DRIVING ASSISTANCE
ENGINE REV COUNTER
REAR SEAT FUNCTIONALITY
DRIVER AIRBAG
X65 3-DOOR COACH
F4R ENGINE
X65 FAMILY
POWER ASSISTED STEERING
DOCUMENTATION PHASE 1
HEIGHT-ADJUSTABLE STEERING WHEEL
DOCUMENTATION PERIOD 1998
WITHOUT ANTI-POLLUTION INFORMATION LABEL
WITHOUT NAVIGATION ASSISTANCE
"NORMAL" TORQUE
BODY COLOUR BUMPERS
WITHOUT PARTITION
DEPOLLUTION STANDARD EURO 96
IMMOBILISER DEVICE
WITHOUT TYRE PRESSURE INFORMATION LABEL
STICKER 02
FRONT SIDE AIRBAG
NO UNDERBODY PROTECTION
3 REAR HEADREST FULL HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT
WITH POLLEN FILTER
PASSENGER AIRBAG
INTERIOR STYLING 01
SEAT UPHOLSTERY FABRIC 07
CLOTH OR PLUSH SEAT COVERING
FRONT SEAT BELT WITH PRETENSIONER
DRIVER'S SEAT WITH HEIGHT + LUMBAR ADJUSTMENT

BUILT UP SPECIAL VEHICLE ORDER: WITHOUT SPECIAL VEHICLE ORDER
WITHOUT HEADLIGHT WASHER
SEAT WITHOUT HEATING
MILD CLIMATE
LEFT-HAND DRIVE
ATHERMAL WINDOWS
WITHOUT WINDSCREEN WASHER FLUID LEVEL SENSOR
FIXED QUARTER PANELS WINDOW
ALLOY WHEEL RIMS
WITHOUT DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS
WITHOUT EQUIPMENT BADGE
NORMAL CLUTCH
NORMAL ROOF
FOG HEADLIGHTS
NO PEDAL BRACKET COVER
TWIN HEADLIGHT
433 MHZ FREQUENCY REMOTE CONTROL DOOR OPENING
3-SEAT REAR MIDDLE SEAT BELTS
FUEL INFORMATION LABEL4
ENGINE SIZE BADGE 08
COUNTER UNITS IN KILOMETRES
WITHOUT COMPACT DISC
MAKE OF TYRES: STANDARD TYRE
TITAN GREY BODYWORK PAINT
PETROL
ELECTRIC FRONT WINDOW
MM ENGINE LEVEL
BODY COLOR EXTERIOR REAR VIEW MIRRORS
AIR CONDITIONING
2 DOOR MIRRORS ELECTRIC ADJUSTMENT
STANDARD SUSPENSION
ES4 EQUIPMENT LEVEL
ANTI-LOCK BRAKING SYSTEM
ELECTRIC DOOR LOCKING + REMOTE CONTROL
PARTICULARS ITALY

172, Tiguan
Just to be certain i'd go out and take a picture or something for us if you can (of the engine bay)?

If the pipe does go to the ICV then you can just have a small filter off of that pipe for the ICV. You are then free to have a normal inlet elbow without the smaller pipe coming out of it.

The engine oil breather pipe on a Ph1 goes back into the throttle body itself.

tadas

ClioSport Club Member
  RS Clio 172 Ph1
Definately phase 1.

Agreed, and I also had my throttle cable switched out because the throttle would stick at 2'000RPM.

So am I free to buy simple pipes for my induction kit? Lastly what size Oil filter fits on our cars, is it 16mm?

tadas

ClioSport Club Member
  RS Clio 172 Ph1
IIRC its 13mm inner diameter on the hose onto the breather at the back of the head.

Could somebody confirm that? Also, waiting on Jon to confirm of what I should do, so I could pull the trigger on the order.

172, Tiguan
I would never pretend to know anywhere near as much as Chip does! :)

Yeah, so buy a small filter for the ICV hose that currently goes into your inlet elbow and then just order up a simple 70mm 90 degree silicone bend to replace the current inlet pipe.

I'm not 100% sure on the internal diameter of the ICV hose - Chip might be able to confirm.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I dont know off the top of my head with regards to the ICV pipe diameter either TBH mate, Ive had far less to do with standard phase1 setups as both of ours were modified anyway.

OP, just take your inlet pipe off and have a look, it will all be very clear and it only takes 5 mins to do.

tadas

ClioSport Club Member
  RS Clio 172 Ph1
Sweet guys, you two are amazing at helping me! All this helps to encourage me to take on new projects on my clio <3.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Im just impressed at your english skills mate! You speak it better in writing than a lot of users we get sign up from the UK!

tadas

ClioSport Club Member
  RS Clio 172 Ph1
Sweet! I really appreciate the sincere comments about my writing.

Although I might have an unfair advantage - I have lived in united states for almost 6 years of my life, and had unfathomable amounts of reading to do for my studies.

So I just tend to copy things that I see.

This is also why I became a member of this forum, you folks seem to have aprehended countless little details about the car that I am just into.

<3

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Well if you managed to live with americans and even still end up speak good English that's even more of an achievement, LOL

tadas

ClioSport Club Member
  RS Clio 172 Ph1
yeah, they do speak some real Amurrrrikan.

Will be waiting for the size Jon_r! I will not be able to see my clio until next week, so I will continue on shopping and asking questions that I come by.