ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.2 16v (2002) 172 replica.

I am currently undergoing a lengthy project of kitting out a 1.2 dynamique clio and replacing some parts for 2.0l 172 bumpers wings etc. i am enjoying the project as there is a huge reward at the end of it as you can drive around in a car which looks identical to probably one of the sexiest cars to date. Is there anyone else who has tried or thort about doing such a crazy idea? thanks. Tom

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
Your not the first! There's quite a few reps on here.

Welcome btw!

Been quite a few on here. BREMBO and Firas off here had 2 of the best I've seen.

BREMBO's old one :

PB200102.jpg

Firas' old one :

IMGP9742.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome lads. i will put some pictures up once i find out how, it looks horrible, body work is complete, but the one big embarracement is the standard 15" dynamique alloys that sit somewhere under the cars bonnet and boot! are the spoilers easy to fit?

P1070007.jpgP1070072.jpgP1070064.jpgDSC00903.JPGP1070063.jpgGetAttachment.jpgP1060978.jpg The back bumper was put on last week so i dont have any pictures on my pc just yet. this car was in a bit of a state when i first bought it as you can see by the major case of haze on the headlights and some fungus growing in the centre renault badge on the steering wheel. also some of you may be thinking "why spend all this money on a 1.2 when you can save the money and get a 2.0. this is due to the fact that i am only 18 and the insurance is already just over 2,000 pounds for 10 months! and i dont even want to try getting insured on a 182/172.

Last edited:
car is now complete on the outside. looking for interior and maybe engine. i will get pictures up tomorrow. would also appreciate comments (good or bad)
does not have spacers. and the 2.0 badges are there because it is a replica. its like putting the sport badges on. i dont drive it like a muppet so who is to tell that it isnt a 2.0 sport?

Disastra Coupe
car is now complete on the outside. looking for interior and maybe engine. i will get pictures up tomorrow. would also appreciate comments (good or bad)
does not have spacers. and the 2.0 badges are there because it is a replica. its like putting the sport badges on. i dont drive it like a muppet so who is to tell that it isnt a 2.0 sport?

It's like putting a VTS badge on a Furio... Just wrong.

Respect for the work you've done like but i'd seriously consider swapping the badge's.

Clio 172/Focus st170
Nice job Tom! car looks good! why not put the 1.5 dci badges? This way it would be a sleeper. :) Keep up the good work and keep us posted!

1.2 Dynamique 16v
Good luck with making the replica mate. I wouldn't have the 2.0l badges on it myself but each to their own..

Put up some pics of the rear!

Discounted 1*2 parts
converting my DCI into a replica atm. Hopefully doing the widetrack conversion in a few weeks too as the standard wheels sit right in the arches with sport wings

Yeah, upbadging isnt cool. Its like people putting a Type-R badge on a civic sport. I know why people do it but I would be too worried about getting busted.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
FLOL at "upbadging" .. you'd take them off when someone (like me) overtakes you in a Honda Jazz. Lucky for you, I'm no where near Lancashire.

Good luck with the project though ! Hope your (exorbitant) insurance covers the mods...

haha. cheers guys. the badges are now coming off. i just needed the persuasion. i thort it looked good. car has been cleaned and polished ready for some snaps tomorrow. was called into work today therefor didnt have the time. some good news came through today that i may be getting a few bob in compensation as i have lost half a finger in a work accident..... CLIO SPORT TIMEE!!!!!

not the best pictures as they were taken on my phone and in the wet. let me know what you think! nothing too harsh on the 2.0 badges as its raining and i dont want to go out and change them just yet.

have had one of my washer jets taken/dropped off. spacers are included in next weeks pay packet and a subtle back box to fill gap in rear bumper.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
haha. cheers guys. the badges are now coming off. i just needed the persuasion. i thort it looked good.
some good news came through today that i may be getting a few bob in compensation as i have lost half a finger in a work accident..... CLIO SPORT TIMEE!!!!!

They do look good. But, so does the Ferarri badge, but I wouldn't glue one on to my Scoob ;)

Finger :dead: Urgh.. which half did you lose ? Top or bottom :rasp:

haha, i ment 5,000. that includes mot`s and repairs etc. none have been resprayed. all were black when i bought them. wanting to get a respray on the whole car. white seems like a cool idea.

Clio 182
its only half done, 2.0l engine going in sometime in 2011 :p

I don`t want to be cynical, but kind of "whats the point"

Surely its cheaper just to buy a 172 / 182 I know insurance is higher, but by the time you have modded it is there really going to be much difference especially when you put the 2.0 engine in it

its building a car my own way, im enjoying it. it works out about the same price anyway so why not. i understand i wont have traction control, leather seats and cruise control. i dont have to fill it up as much, its cheaper to insure, cheaper to tax and no risks of speeding!! i like the fact that it is progression as well. :)

its building a car my own way, im enjoying it. it works out about the same price anyway so why not. i understand i wont have traction control, leather seats and cruise control. i dont have to fill it up as much, its cheaper to insure, cheaper to tax and no risks of speeding!! i like the fact that it is progression as well. :)

How'd you work that one out lol?
pretty sure you can do 100 in a 30 zone in a 1.2 if you wanted?

But all the same, I get why your doing it :)

Just to add to the whole whats the point debate, heres my reasoning on starting a rep!

I used to drive a polo, -

And last summer I had 6 points imposed on my license for riding a pitbike where i shouldnt have been (f**king pigs) anyway this meant I had my license revoked and have to re take meaning I now struggle to Insure a f**king push bike!!!!

Sooooo, after driving the polo which I can no longer insure... I cannot possibly bring myself to drive a shitty looking 1.2 clio or such like....

Sooo im making a replica, which willl at the very least give me a nice looking car....]

Sooooo I think replicas ARE a goood idea.

thats all :D

P.S sorry to rant!!

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
id leave the 2.0 engine swap untill you can afford a proper sport then atleast you will not have to worry about insurance when declaring everything.
and also the conversion is a big job takes alot of time and space to

Clios 172's are really coming down in price mate and for the cost of an engine conversion you might aswell buy the actual car, put the 1.2 to standard and sell it.

and about the engines, i would imagine that would come up to make the insurance even higher than having a 172 itself?
im just going for the looks not the engine, couldnt run a 2.0l anyway I doubt lol

i have thought about it long and hard, trust me. but to insure a genuine sport for 10 months third party only for over £3,000 pounds. And i have been doing my checks. And decided against any further mods aqnd returning the car to standard and getting saving the ncbs and money for a sport. Any one thinking of getting the conversion, on the isurance it comes up as a 2.0l dynamique. As the car is a dynamique with a standard clio engine in it. think of it as coming up as a ford fiesta zetec 1.4 with a 2.0l st conversion and coming up as a 2.0 zetec car. And makes it less to insure.