ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.4s 8v Turbo

Long story but cut it short!!

I used to own a x reg 1.4s 8valve i sold it bought a vts and done most mods to the engine reaching over 180bhp @ the fly! not bad!!

Anyway thats dead!!

THe bloke who bought my car off me is selling it back to me!!

I want to turbo it...

Now being only 81bhp what sort of increase would i be looking at?!

Ive been told by them 120-130@ the fly! THats with a t25 turbo intercooler etc...

Also would a 172 clutch go straight in?!

Any suggestions before i go ahead?!

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v

why not drop a 440 engine in it? its a renault engine either way, and should go in without too much hassle, and is already turbod, much more room for mods than the 1.4 8v clio engine.

anyway, 120bhp sounds about right depending on the work thats getting done. Dont think a 172 clutch will go straight in, could be wrong though.

Quote: Originally posted by RICHARD BARCLAY on 21 March 2004

Long story but cut it short!!

I used to own a x reg 1.4s 8valve i sold it bought a vts and done most mods to the engine reaching over 180bhp @ the fly! not bad!!

:eek: Hot poker in my bum thats alot! Care to expand.

Anyway thats dead!!

THe bloke who bought my car off me is selling it back to me!!

I want to turbo it...

Turboing the e7j is erm, complicated.

Now being only 81bhp what sort of increase would i be looking at?!

Again, depends what you do, boost pressures, head flow, charge temps, chamber mods, compression blah blah.

Ive been told by them 120-130@ the fly! THats with a t25 turbo intercooler etc...

More than possible, but id be more concerned with swapping from the SPI system and building your own mpi injection system.

Also would a 172 clutch go straight in?!

Nope

Any suggestions before i go ahead?!

If you want a turbo do the GTT swap. Contact Andy at GDI ( mailto:andy@greydevilindustries.com">andy@greydevilindustries.com ) and talk to him about it.

If you want a turbo do the GTT swap. Contact Andy at GDI ( mailto:andy@greydevilindustries.com">andy@greydevilindustries.com ) and talk to him about it.

Well i have thought about this!! Ive also thought about a 1.8 16v or a williams or 172 engine?! would these go straight in?! been told a problem with wiring and ignition or something from hill power?!

what about a punto 1.4 turbo engine?!

I need to know my easy options!!

Thanks for the response!

Oh and my clio version is a MPI verison i found that out when i had it!! quite impressed by that!!

Oh also a 440 engine what cars that from never heard of it?!!

An also where would i get a half decent clutch from an standard 1.4 clutch wouldnt last long if at all?! What about a 1.6 16v clutch?!

Oh on the saxo i had everything,Headwork,lightened and balenced cams,custom airfilter custom exhaust fully re mapped using dastek! it was a so called saxo evo! if you eva heard of it but only made 160 @ the fly because of the manifold exhaust and fueling was out so i changed everthing at the garage the day it was being re mapped spent like 5hours getting the mapping right and a right laugh to drive!! wont go into too much detail bout that as new project is here!

Well i have thought about this!! Ive also thought about a 1.8 16v or a williams or 172 engine?! would these go straight in?! been told a problem with wiring and ignition or something from hill power?!

16V yes, but pointless imo, 172 yes, but with more work to sort out management and physical dimentions porblems.

what about a punto 1.4 turbo engine?!

Anythings possible.

I need to know my easy options!!

Again, GTT conversion.......its the easiest option.

Thanks for the response!

Oh and my clio version is a MPI verison i found that out when i had it!! quite impressed by that!!

Bonus

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

volvo 440.its a renault engine so the conversion isnt to bad.a 16v engine would be pretty easy to put in but a 172 engine would have far to many complications to sort out so i wouldnt bother.most people go for the 5 turbo engine conversion.conversion not to bad but you really need to get a complete doner car so you have all the parts.the 5 turbo engine can also be easily tuned to generate some decent hp.

Right well 172 would be very nice idea!

16V yes, but pointless imo, 172 yes, but with more work to sort out management and physical dimentions porblems.

Its the 172 shape so would it be a problem still?! Management thats what hill power sid what sort of problems would happen then?!

Well can this andy bloke do any engine swaps or just renault 5 swaps!

I dont wanna spend sh*t loads just want soe more power like the vts more of a kick

engine from renault 5 and all parts needed will be about 300-500 i would have thought! or i could just buy one and strip it! Where could i get one from??

o.k sounds good if a 16v lump would go in what about the williams?!

What would you do easy route of renault 5 lump!

I would just get a renault 5 but inside im not to keen on and no power steering in my mates one anyway!!

Right well 172 would be very nice idea!

Its the 172 shape so would it be a problem still?! Management thats what hill power sid what sort of problems would happen then?!

I thought the 1.4S was a MK1 Phs3 item. But if its post 98 then space isnt such an issue.

Well can this andy bloke do any engine swaps or just renault 5 swaps!

Best talk to him, hes friendly and helpful enough.

I dont wanna spend sh*t loads just want soe more power like the vts more of a kick

Any engine conversion will set you back about a grand minimum. But care to expand more on this 180bhp VTS?

engine from renault 5 and all parts needed will be about 300-500 i would have thought! or i could just buy one and strip it! Where could i get one from??

Best method is to purchase a donor car so you can rib the gubbins you need out of it. So thats about a grand for a scrappy car, and typicaly you rebuild the motor before you put it back into your car.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

to fit the 172 you would need all the engine and auxs,underbonnet/main vehicle wiring looms,ucbic/uch(depending on phase 1 or 2),transponder keys,driveshafts,front suspension,rear suspension,transmission inc driveshafts,exhaust,radiator inc all coolant hoses and uprate the brakes.you would need all the parts of a vehicle the same phase as yours(if yours is a clio 2 phase 1 then you need the engine etc out of a clio 2 phase 1).it would cost you a fortune and you might as well just buy a 172.if its a clio 2 then the 16v valver engine wouldnt be a straight swap after all. the 5 turbo would probably be the cheapest route to go down.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

they did a 1.2 and a 1.4 sport in clio 2 phase 1.they had some rancid alloy wheels and the heaters vents in silver, things like that

Right well everything sorted here then!!

ill contact him...see what happens!

What more do you wanna konw bout the vts?!

Mad by lad ment to be 180bhp which it wasnt there figures are not too hot! What they say you dont get near!! Even though he is a very nice bloke!

http://www.saxo-evo.comwww.saxo-evo.com or co.uk can remember i had basically :-

285 degree cams from piper, followers etc

rpm increased to 8000rpm instead of 7400 which lad put it to and standard vts is 7250 i believe!

ermmm obiously things big oversized vales,manifold exhaust,d-cat,uprated suspension lowered 40mm, big brakes all round interior stripped out to 2seats uprated clutch errr can;t think. head work skimmed etc, err oh dastek (big thing give me 13bhp in the end at the fly). forced induction custom made carbon, sorted out front grill to get more airflow. Dunno what the transmission loss bout 23% i think not 100% sure but it can be done lot of money and effort went through 3clutchs and a gearbox over 16000miles..

The idea was to turbo it but it would have been silly anouth 4000 incuding clutchs pistons etc

I have a pic of the clio ill send you a pic! obviously i was 17/18 when i had it so the bloke who had it after me has done sound system other than that the same car really!

Right well everything sorted here then!!

ill contact him...see what happens!

What more do you wanna konw bout the vts?!

You aint told me nowt yet.

Mad by lad ment to be 180bhp which it wasnt there figures are not too hot! What they say you dont get near!! Even though he is a very nice bloke!

LAD, oh ok........i dont want to get done for slander so ill shut up.

http://www.saxo-evo.comwww.saxo-evo.com or co.uk can remember i had basically :-

285 degree cams from piper, followers etc

rpm increased to 8000rpm instead of 7400 which lad put it to and standard vts is 7250 i believe!

ermmm obiously things big oversized vales,manifold exhaust,d-cat,uprated suspension lowered 40mm, big brakes all round interior stripped out to 2seats uprated clutch errr can;t think. head work skimmed etc, err oh dastek (big thing give me 13bhp in the end at the fly). forced induction custom made carbon, sorted out front grill to get more airflow. Dunno what the transmission loss bout 23% i think not 100% sure but it can be done lot of money and effort went through 3clutchs and a gearbox over 16000miles..

And you actually checked the internals?

The idea was to turbo it but it would have been silly anouth 4000 incuding clutchs pistons etc

You mean what was done when i bought it no!!

But i was beating 172s maybe coz of the weight or im just a gd driver!! lol

Take it you heard about lad then!! lol i know!! well you learn from your mistakes!! i didnt pay for there conersion if i did i wouldnt be too happy!

what did they make then 140 @ the fly?! Take it you dont like them!! i was actually thinking about the clio 172 version they do! but then i thought it would probably come out at 180 not 205 or 212 what ever they say!

If you want a 16v engine, you might aswell get a Williams/Megane engine.. ok itll cost more, but be worth it.

That R5,

Depends if you wanna have it rebuilt etc.. or not. it would be ok if you going to put an uprated clutch on and rebuild it.

Thanks for your idea daz?! Will a williams engine go straight in though?!

If it would then hands down i would get that engine(williams)!!

But that 1.8 16v engine at 137bhp cant be too bad can it?! after all a williams should be a heavier engine and there is only 13bhp difference it comes with everything and mustbe pretty tunable?!

I think the R5 turbo engine would be good but i don wanna put thousands iinto a waste of time! If it just need like 500 work on the engine to getit sweet all good!

Revels Mum & Sister

The Williams lump is basically the same as a Valver Lump but with a 2.0ltr Bottom end and bigger Valves etc. So not sure it would be heavier

And yeah would be just as easy to fit as a Valver lump fella!

Better low down torque on the Williams and bit more BHP as well!

What sort of bhp could i get out of a williams engine?!

With a full good quality exhaust and manifold,

proper enclosed airfilter

And a dastek?!

Or is there any other simple mods that can be down for a bit extra power!

Think ill make it williams power!

williams 2 turbo

440 lump isnt that tunable compared to 5 turbo lump. and mine has 5 turbo lump and ive got power steering. its a bugger to do, but its got it. go for the turbo not n/a

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

its a clio 2 so a williams lump wont just drop straight in.on older clios you could use the old deisal rack and pas electric pump so you could keep pas with the turbo lump.seeing as yours is a clio 2 you could try and use the electric pas system(electric moter on the column) used in clio 2 phase 2.seeing as the turbo and the williams are both going to have problems when fitting into a clio 2 then id personally go for the turbo lump as there easily tuned and will probably be the cheapest conversion between the two.

Right big question then!! If i wanna drop this gt turbo lump in will i still have power steering as my car already has it?!!

Im sure i would but not 100%!

Also its the clio 2 phase 1 the ones with the plain red lights at the back!

No power steering. But you could always fit an electric pump if you want, the 1.9 diesel Clio uses one if I remember rightly.

williams 2 turbo

power steering on standard engine is mostly belt driven, so as its been mentioned you need a electric one. you will also have to change engine mounts on a 5 turbo lump as the original ones hit the rack. its a lot of work.

Skoda Fabia vRS

jus speak to Andy at Grey Devil, he will sort you out

he did my GTT conversion on my 1992 1.4RT.............top job of it too.....

07010 716440

Brun is that andys mobile number on your post?!

ill bell him how much did he charge you all in including vat roughly?!

does he supply the engine or do i have to track all the parts down?!

I will still have power steering on the clio after the ocnversion! must do!