ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 16v vs toyota mr2

which is quicker? obviously the twin turbo is quicker but what about the gt t bar i think its called? or does anyone know any toyota mr2 car sites?
sorry i mean the 1991-2000 model
[Edited by m4rk on 23 November 2004 at 4:16pm]

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

They dont do a twin turbo do they? Just a single turbo........

As for the N/a MR2 a valver should have no probs.

This thread will vanish in a mo though! lol

megane coupe F7R

I raced an mr2 on a new bypass neer me. Ive got a valver and it kept up through second gear but it pulled bout a car length through 3rd and was about 2 car lengths ahead in 5th. That was a gt t bar non turbo

My pal had a 1997 2.0 16 vavle n/a T Bar (exhaust/de-cat/ik) and trust me it would have no problem slapping a valver with the same mods.

megane coupe F7R

Yeh, Well it beat me.:( A standard williams would of beat it though. All i was lacking was a bit of torque in 3rd gear onwords. Had him in second

Yaris Hybrid

My mate has a Mk2 MR2, think its about an N plate and 170bhp where as some of the earlier models were only 150bhp.

Basically its very slow. It was no faster than my 150bhp Vectra SRI. It actually weighs the same as a Vectra believe it or not which frankly is piss poor for a 2 seater sports car. Although my mates has 170bhp (and he stuck an IK on it) it is no quicker than the 150bhp models because below 6k rpm it has about as much power as a Daewoo Matiz and the engine just sounds really harsh.

My mates Mk1 Golf GTI 5 speed happily sat on his bumper half the way up the local bypass - mega embarrassing given that its a 20 year old 1.6!!! My 182 would make mince meat out of it and I would hope a valver could at least match it up until 80 or so.

http://www.mr2.com/ARTICLE/Toyota_MR2_GT.htmlhttp://www.mr2.com/ARTICLE/Toyota_MR2_GT.html

Thats a review of my mates 170bhp version with "real world" figures which naturally differ somewhat from the bullsh1t the hairdressers come out with in the pub....

megane coupe F7R

Raced a vectra 2.5v6 the other week. Kept up with that up to 90. The mr2 i raced must of been modded then. If a golf gti can keep up with an mr2 then a valver would have no props. Theres only 1 golf that is as quick as a valver and that is the mk1. The rest are sh*t. Even my mates mk4 1.8 turbo (150bhp)

Williams 3

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 23 November 2004

A mark 2 16 valver Golf would give a valve a very good go..
Doubt it v.much, same power 100kg heavier. My willi slaughters my bros VW mk2 16v r/r @ 147bhp.

Also my mates valver "slapped" another mates recentely rebuilt mr2 t-bar n/a.

From where are you basing your figures; book or experience? Theyre both wrong IMO

Quote: Originally posted by mush on 23 November 2004

Doubt it v.much, same power 100kg heavier. My willi slaughters my bros VW mk2 16v r/r @ 147bhp.

From where are you basing your figures; book or experience? Theyre both wrong IMO

My pals MR2 2.0 with de-cat/exhaust/ik could stay very very close to my standard Cup and did a 15.0 @96 mph 1/4 mile. Ive got a video of it beating a standard Cup at Crail some where. A valver with de-cat/exhaust/ik could not do that to a Cup.

Quote: Originally posted by mush on 23 November 2004

My pals MR2 2.0 with de-cat/exhaust/ik could stay very very close to my standard Cup and did a 15.0 @96 mph 1/4 mile. Ive got a video of it beating a standard Cup at Crail some where. A valver with de-cat/exhaust/ik could not do that to a Cup.
sounds like a bit of a freak that one Neil, very respectable time, even more considering the car. to be fair that mag article was from 1994 and as with most cars, especially performance (well, ish! lol) engines they tend to need running in and genuinely get better with age it seems. cant remember the age of the one we had a blast with, but it got spanked well and truly by a Williams 1, 2 & 3. we had to let it catch up, but then it could be a bad example, all cars are different... even when theyre the same... you know what i mean... lol

I think m4rk means twin entry turbo, same as the one in the GT4.

[Edited by TheJesus on 23 November 2004 at 7:19pm]

my old valver was quick and my MR2 was even quicker. that was modded though. at 100mph you could still be in 3rd gear. My pug now is pretty quick to be honest and my MR2 was much quicker. had 200 brake though ;)

me wants a mr2, insurance wise its affordable for me but of course thats the non turbo, and im not a hairdresser or gay, only reason i brought this up waas its between a valver or a mr2 for what i get very soon. but the mr2 has more scope for tuning. and i fancy a change from the clio iv got.

not sure about scope for tuning on the MR2, but you can throw the 2.0 bottom end from a Meggy or Willy and that will see low 14s down the 1/4 mile all day long... somewhat quicker than 15s the MR2s get... and thats a fast one by all accounts.

megane coupe F7R

Oh right. Well a valver or a willy will put a smile on ya face after owning an rt. The thing is, People who try to race you at the lights will expect to get beaten by an mr2 cuz it looks fast. Its much more satisfying to do whoop their ass in a valver. Alot of people i speak to in the pub dont belive me when i say its a 1.8. Dunno why.

Yaris Hybrid

I wouldnt touch the NA Mk2 MR2 with a barge pole unless you go for an import turbo with all the potential trouble that brings. I feel sorry for my mate, he spent a lot of money on that car thinking he was buying some hard core sports car and all he got was a rear wheel drive Avensis with a fancy body shell.

Frankly Id try and get a Roadster. Better handling, far more fun to drive and 140bhp per tonne. My mates 170bhp Mk2 is only 130bhp per tonne although in reality due to the poor power and torque distribution it feels more like 110bhp per tonne.

Its 300kg lighter than the Mk2 and group 13 insurance for 140bhp per tonne sounds good to me.

Andyvalver, you did well to beat a 2.5 GSI. One of those would have no trouble with an MR2.

megane coupe F7R

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 23 November 2004

Andyvalver, you did well to beat a 2.5 GSI. One of those would have no trouble with an MR2.
It was a v6. dunno if thats a gsi anyway. Didnt say i beat it!! I said i kept up with it up to 90mph. There not that good ya no. They weigh loads more than a clio and i THINK they are only 167bhp

bit of a price gap though between the two. a valver and an MR2 Mk2 are prolly more inline with each other. obviously id choose the valver... but im here on a Clio site, so pretty much goes without saying... and I cant cut hair either... or wax legs... or any other stereo type i cant remember.

Quote: Originally posted by TheJesus on 23 November 2004

bit of a price gap though between the two. a valver and an MR2 Mk2 are prolly more inline with each other. obviously id choose the valver... but im here on a Clio site, so pretty much goes without saying... and I cant cut hair either... or wax legs... or any other stereo type i cant remember.
thats why i sold mine. couldnt put up with being called nicky clarke anymore. ill never understand the hairdresser comments though. on the limit it was a f**king handful. in the wet with that power at the rear wheels, no lsd or traction control and it got very hairy.and mine had 700 quids worth of fancy suspension on it. puts the clio to shame for overall build quality etc etc.

Yaris Hybrid

Might have been the 2.6 V6, they aint as quick as those 200bhp GSIs. There is also a non GSI 2.5 IIRC which has a lot less power than the GSI.

To be honest Id get a GSI instead of an MR2. Its a faster car but more practical car and you get a newer lower mileage car for the same price. Of course most people would pick the MR2 but when you look at the facts that can only be due to the styling hence its batty hairdresser reputation.

CLIO 197 Ultra red

Quote: Originally posted by Tom16v on 23 November 2004

They dont do a twin turbo do they? Just a single turbo........

As for the N/a MR2 a valver should have no probs.

This thread will vanish in a mo though! lol
its called a twin entry turbo aparently...

Quote: Originally posted by Andyvalver on 23 November 2004

Oh right. Well a valver or a willy will put a smile on ya face after owning an rt. The thing is, People who try to race you at the lights will expect to get beaten by an mr2 cuz it looks fast. Its much more satisfying to do whoop their ass in a valver. Alot of people i speak to in the pub dont belive me when i say its a 1.8. Dunno why.
yeh had thought of that, not many folk know that valvers are quick, but then the newest you can get is 96n and the toyota goes up to 2000. was wanting something newish as well, may have to rethink on my choice of car. hmmm, i still think they look better than the clio

Valver

Raced a vectra 2.5v6 the other week. Kept up with that up to 90. The mr2 i raced must of been modded then. If a golf gti can keep up with an mr2 then a valver would have no props. Theres only 1 golf that is as quick as a valver and that is the mk1. The rest are sh*t. Even my mates mk4 1.8 turbo (150bhp)
I would have thought the 3.2 vr6 would also give a valver a run for its money being about 237bhp and all... ;)

megane coupe F7R

Quote: Originally posted by Sami on 24 November 2004

I would have thought the 3.2 vr6 would also give a valver a run for its money being about 237bhp and all... ;)
Im sure you know i ment any Gti golf. Not a vr6. lol. They still weigh as much as a house thow.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Valvers can stay with VR6s to 110ish or mine can anyways. Done it a fair few times. I can have the edge to this aswel but after itll just piss on me.

2.5 V6 vectras are pants and so are MR2s. lol This is the whole problem of me getting a new car. theres nothing worth replacing it with!

those golf VR6s are pretty slow for such a big engined car, did one over a while ago and that was on the motorway carrying more passengers than him! lol

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by Sami on 24 November 2004

lol yeah I noticed that after I posted :oops:

under 7s 0-60 for a house thou isnt bad!
Whats a house and gets to 60 in under 7 secs? You aint on about a VR6 are you?

Valver

I guess the clio v6 does it a lot quicker than that with a slightly smaller engine, ok so golfs are pretty slow!