ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 16v vs toyota mr2

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5

unless you mean an r32, which would quite easily do a valver to my recollection

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Yeah they are! lol

I think she has the R32 and VR6 mixed up.

Oh and yeah, a R32 will stomp on a valver. Trust me! :oops:

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

Quote: Originally posted by Tom16v on 24 November 2004

Yeah they are! lol

I think she has the R32 and VR6 mixed up.

Oh and yeah, a R32 will stomp on a valver. Trust me! :oops:
Stomps a bit harsh - well yeh ok ill let you have that one lol! I did get slightly reamed up a dually but at the end of the 26mile road I wasnt the reamee? (how the hell would you spell that lol!)

EP3 Civic Type R

There are many non turbo mr2s with different outputs from 1990-2000... lowest being the early 119bhp gt which is pats... however the rev4 later ones put out 179bhp, which are pretty decent to be fair, id think it would do a valver..... turbo is where the funs at though

engines were 119bhp for the 3sfe lump mainly found in the coupe. then it went 158 in the rev 1 and 2 3sge lumps, up to 173 in the rev 3s and then back down to 168 in the rev 4 onwards. thats non turbos.

Street Triple R

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 23 November 2004

I wouldnt touch the NA Mk2 MR2 with a barge pole unless you go for an import turbo with all the potential trouble that brings. I feel sorry for my mate, he spent a lot of money on that car thinking he was buying some hard core sports car and all he got was a rear wheel drive Avensis with a fancy body shell.
100% agree with this, i drove an N/A MR2 a little while ago, i was really looking forward to it, but i was sooooo dissapointed with it, it felt slow, heavy, and basically like a dull family saloon in a dress! everything about it was a let down, even the novelty of the engine being right behind you wears off after a few minutes as it makes such a dull noise. Maybe the Turbo is better but ive heard that the handling doesnt really cope with the power, certainly in standard form anyway

Quote: Originally posted by jongsr4 on 24 November 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 23 November 2004

I wouldnt touch the NA Mk2 MR2 with a barge pole unless you go for an import turbo with all the potential trouble that brings. I feel sorry for my mate, he spent a lot of money on that car thinking he was buying some hard core sports car and all he got was a rear wheel drive Avensis with a fancy body shell.
100% agree with this, i drove an N/A MR2 a little while ago, i was really looking forward to it, but i was sooooo dissapointed with it, it felt slow, heavy, and basically like a dull family saloon in a dress! everything about it was a let down, even the novelty of the engine being right behind you wears off after a few minutes as it makes such a dull noise. Maybe the Turbo is better but ive heard that the handling doesnt really cope with the power, certainly in standard form anyway

you see, i really liked mine. it was a really nice drive. admittedly it wasnt the most involving of drives but it certainly wasnt the worst. Ill agree as standard they aint the best though. I wouldnt say mine was slow. I took it on a jap rolling road day and let a fella with a CTR drive mine. he obviously didnt like the way it drove after the CTR but in terms of grip was every bit as good and over the same stretch of road my MR2 was reaching higher speeds than him. every blast we had was pretty even i just didnt have the bottle to throw mine into corners like he did.

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Right stop bitching children. Twin ENTRY turbo which is what they all are means that the turbo takes exhaust gasses from two seperate ports. IE two branchs of the manifold in one side and two in the other. This reduces turbo lag greatly.

My valver was fun, it broke alot and didnt go that fast. My MR2 Turbo is ridiculously fast, and built like nothing Ive ever driven.

They weigh 1200kgs and the best ones are 173bhp ones in n/a trim although you can get a 200bhp ltd edition "Beams" one.

As for the turbos, if you got a Vee then may be Id be worried on the strip, 16vs Willies no chance. With my boost turned below standard and a slipping clutch I was still on the back of a pair of 172s.

I would say go for a Turbo, possibly the easiest way into Jap turbo cars. Cheaper and more reliable than all the others.

mr2 turbo specially the rev3 onward kick arse, no std clio will beat one, even modded one will struggle they run 13s stock.

ive been in a beams one they have a 2.0 vvtl engine and are capable, as quick if not quicker than a 172, off the line the mr2 would smash one with its rwd grip and they aint that heavy

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Mk 2 MR2 is 1200 kgs compared to a mk1 Clio being 980ish and a mk2 being 1050ish.

Off the line MR2s are superb, the grip for a 2wd car is awesome, I smashed a scooby at Santa Pod in October.

Yaris Hybrid

Quote: Originally posted by Matt16v on 14 December 2004

Mk 2 MR2 is 1200 kgs compared to a mk1 Clio being 980ish and a mk2 being 1050ish.

Off the line MR2s are superb, the grip for a 2wd car is awesome, I smashed a scooby at Santa Pod in October.
You must have a turbo then yeah cos my mate (with the 170bhp Mk2) went out in another mates old Impreza Turbo (208bhp) and proper shat his pants. The Impreza is in a different league to the NA MR2s.

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Yeah mines a turbo. Was a bug eyed scooby. Possibly not an STi.

What I was getting at was that a 4wd car should always beat a 2wd car. But the level of grip on launchs is fantastic in the 2.

LY 200

Quote: Originally posted by Andyvalver on 23 November 2004

Oh right. Well a valver or a willy will put a smile on ya face after owning an rt. The thing is, People who try to race you at the lights will expect to get beaten by an mr2 cuz it looks fast. Its much more satisfying to do whoop their ass in a valver. Alot of people i speak to in the pub dont belive me when i say its a 1.8. Dunno why.
AH MEN!!!!

My thoughts exactly!!! To the non clio enthusiast the valver is just a clio, even the saxo boys come unstuck as they wont be expectin a pasting!!!!

I pulled into a petrol staion the other week on the way to southend and some lad in a fiesta turb said "that looks alright dont it".."what is it a 1.4" I replyed no mate 1.8 16v...."oh i bet that shifts then" yeah not too bad!!!!LOL

People dont expect anything from a valver wheres the mr2 they do and tbh what you get from them isnt really enough to warrent the sport carish looks it has!!!!

Ive blasted a turbo off on the twisties... only due to the w**k handling of the MR2/// i looked in my mirrors and saw the back end spin round...lol

Quote: Originally posted by Matt16v on 16 December 2004

Yeah mines a turbo. Was a bug eyed scooby. Possibly not an STi.

What I was getting at was that a 4wd car should always beat a 2wd car. But the level of grip on launchs is fantastic in the 2.
All that weight on the rear wheels..if you have seen the NSX on Top Gear when they do a 1/4 mile test the NSX is always first out of the blocks!

-Rob

300bhp MR2 Turbo

I know, great set up for strait line racing.

Not pushed it too far yet but been told that rear momentum can cause a problem when going sideways.

Only time I had it sideways was an accident and luckily (or through my superior driving skills) I pulled it back in nicely.

anyway to bring up an old thread... i got a mr2 turbo and have since learned alot about the cars.

wasnt much difference in the insurance between the n/a and tubby.

have to agree with the grip from standing start . amazing. my first ever shot at a 0-60 and i managed 5.9 in it. mines a rev2 so book is 5.7, rev3s were 5.2 i believe. cant wait for a 1/4 mile test!

xr4x4

Had a dabble with one of these the other day on the m6, was a black L reg one 2.0 jobbie.

Valver had the legs on it...and im not going to tell you how fast we were both going!

if it was a turbo it would have been a different story, i would have been trounced...