ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 172/182 turbo

dont no weather anyone one here remembers but i was going to buy the 172 turbo from k-tec at one point,had big plains for it too,has anyone on here got a turbo? and if so does it run like ?

172 cup TT
It always amazes me the turbo kit for these.. sounds great but wouldnt the gearbox just die in no time at all? and finding a decent uprated replacement is hell - just my 2p

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Why get a CTR exactly??

It all depends if you're willing to spend the £8k to get to 300BHP...would be a mental car if you did.

It always amazes me the turbo kit for these.. sounds great but wouldnt the gearbox just die in no time at all? and finding a decent uprated replacement is hell - just my 2p
You can get uprated ones made better off used a Megan 225 type box should be good for 300NM unlike the 172 where 200NM was the limit plus its got 6 speeds only thing is you'd need to use the turbo bottom end although that wouldn't add much more to the cost. But by that time a VAG engine looks good value for hp.
Only problem with box VAG and megan boxes are the sheel needs to be strenghted around the front mounts to make it work.
Just get a CTR Instead of wasting £7000 on a 172 conversion. IMHO

Just get a CTR engine and box fitted best of both worls possible also. CTR box and engine in CLio shell. CTR engine has loads of tunning potential as its a better engine get talking to Fred slly Hp can be gained due to it being a better engine superchrager kits are £3k for somehting near 300hp I think.

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
You can get uprated ones made better off used a Megan 225 type box should be good for 300NM unlike the 172 where 200NM was the limit plus its got 6 speeds only thing is you'd need to use the turbo bottom end although that wouldn't add much more to the cost. But by that time a VAG engine looks good value for hp.
Only problem with box VAG and megan boxes are the sheel needs to be strenghted around the front mounts to make it work.
Just get a CTR Instead of wasting £7000 on a 172 conversion. IMHO

Just get a CTR engine and box fitted best of both worls possible also. CTR box and engine in CLio shell. CTR engine has loads of tunning potential as its a better engine get talking to Fred slly Hp can be gained due to it being a better engine superchrager kits are £3k for somehting near 300hp I think.

you say these things likes its no trouble,if you want a ctr engine buy a ctr if you want a vag engine buy a vag they where never meant to go in a clio so will always have issues

you say these things likes its no trouble,if you want a ctr engine buy a ctr if you want a vag engine buy a vag they where never meant to go in a clio so will always have issues

Its much the same work a VAG as a CTR transplant.

There no fun in being easy no tunning is worthwhile neither is there nay point in a 2.0 CLio doesn't stop people wasting money though.

Clio has the more fun car but engine and box are betetr on the CTR plus the CTR has great potential realy.

Honda Civic Type R
indeed ctr's do have more potential but it is still quite costly to achieve a lot more power. however there are loads of different ways you can do it with loads of different brands to choose from. 300 bhp is easily achievable with a supercharger. it can also be done naturally aspirated with the likes of a toda stroker kit, full exhaust, ecu etc etc. or for ultimate power you can just get a turbo kit fitted for around 3.5 grand from cpl racing and have 300 bhp safely on a stock engine with good reliablity due to the low boost of 7psi. if you build the engine i.e stronger con rods, forged pistons, balanced crank, uprated valve springs well in excess of 400 bhp is achievable. then you'll need an evo fq400 to beat it. of course traction will be poo though and you'll probably die if it rains. but that's all part of the fun. the possibilites are endless..............:evil:

alterantively buy a car which already has a turbo engine and tune that up for a fraction of the price. simple remaps can give lots and lots of power on turbocharged cars. my car is approx 40 bhp more than stock but i've spent well over 3 grand on it (although not all of it was spent on the engine but you get my point)

E92 M3 Monte Carlo

Its much the same work a VAG as a CTR transplant.

There no fun in being easy no tunning is worthwhile neither is there nay point in a 2.0 CLio doesn't stop people wasting money though.

Clio has the more fun car but engine and box are betetr on the CTR plus the CTR has great potential realy.

just coilover the ctr and then spend money on that engine,imo putting a ctr engine in a 172 you wouldnt get change out of 10K and thats without modding it,you could be upto yozza's speck for less than that and wipe the floor with a ctr

just coilover the ctr and then spend money on that engine,imo putting a ctr engine in a 172 you wouldnt get change out of 10K and thats without modding it,you could be upto yozza's speck for less than that and wipe the floor with a ctr

£10k seems steap you could get a VAG engine for less fitted. Assuming its a DIY jobbie then CTR engine and box say £2k £1k for stand alone ECU then £1k for other bits shafts etc use the normal radaitor.

Renault Clio 172 Ph2
y would you want a vag engine, they have no character, and there so over ratted on the reliability front, I used to work for em for a year, and the same cars were in again and again for different things everytime.

172 cup TT
y would you want a vag engine, they have no character, and there so over ratted on the reliability front, I used to work for em for a year, and the same cars were in again and again for different things everytime.

Do you have experience with both the 1*2 engine and the VAG engines?.. which would you say is more reliable?.. and what are the main problems, that you found, happened with the VAG engines? - Cheers

Power modifications are easy on them with it being a common engine.

Tangoed Works
A car to me is not a car once its heart has been transplanted with that of another. I personally would tune the RS lump.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
a white ph1 172, fully stripped, lots of carbon, cage, brembos, ledas, jdm civic k20 with box and jackson racing blower.

quite a car.

....or buy an e46 m3 for less. lol

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
A car to me is not a car once its heart has been transplanted with that of another. I personally would tune the RS lump.

thats what i think,if you've paid like 8-9k for a car your not really gonna want to pull it to bits and fit a honda engine,if its as easy as you reckon edde why havnt you done it yourself

thats what i think,if you've paid like 8-9k for a car your not really gonna want to pull it to bits and fit a honda engine,if its as easy as you reckon edde why havnt you done it yourself

I've no need to do it. I'm happy enough with my car its got a cheap to run engine in it and I do loads of miles.

If I were to do a transplant it wouldn't be a petrol due to DVLA difficulties I'd do a VAG 1.9 diesel.

The other thing is I'd do a whole job on the car binning the old loms etc and make a cutom one up which gets rid of the computers etc and that even more work.

Renault Clio 172 Ph2

Do you have experience with both the 1*2 engine and the VAG engines?.. which would you say is more reliable?.. and what are the main problems, that you found, happened with the VAG engines? - Cheers

I couldnt comment on overall duration of a 1*2 engine compared to a vw, as we all know, vw engines do last the miles NORMALLY, subject to some having major failures on the way, however in terms of niggles, i.e. coilpacks, electrical, any forms of control units (i.e. engine, convience control unit etc) vw's are not very good in this area, poor i'd say. and that goes for all engine sizes. polos are crap in 9n form.

clio 200 F4Rt
1*2 gearboxes... is the the gear sets that are supposidly weak or the actual casing/housing?

if its the gear setys, then its just a case of getting them shot peened to strengthen them.

plus having a bit of mechanical sympathy on it!

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172
I remember when steve172-250 got his turbo conversion done at bb tuning. The feedback was good but he soon realised some of the standard parts were,nt up to taking the power. That.ll be bb not doing their research properly again!