ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 2003 Exhaust

The exhaust back box on my 172 fell off last night, I got a few quotes this morning, from £180 to £90 and settled on the one for £90 inc fitting which was the cheapest. Had it done in the afternoon and when i drove it away it was really loud, almost like there wasnt a back box on there. I took it into Kwik Fit and the guy in there knew what he was on about, he got it on the ramp and pointed out that the original box was 'square-like' and the one they put on was a cheaper round one. Even though it was meant for the car, he said that the engine was too powerful for the cheaper alternative exhaust.

Has anyone had their exhaust replaced and if so, have you had a square one put on, or a round one? Obviously if i can help it i dont want a renault part as that'l bump the cost sky high.

This has really pissed me off, gota take it back tomorrow and the guy is going to fit a more expensive one, but i dont hold out much hope, hes really bodged the join with metal bits haning out to fill the gap. He keeps saying let it carbon out but its never going to quieten that much.

Never go for the cheapest!

Am i allowed to take it back and get a refund? Didnt think that would be allowed with something like an exhaust?

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Am i allowed to take it back and get a refund? Didnt think that would be allowed with something like an exhaust?

You said he has already bodged it once so say your not prepared to let them loose on it again and just ask them to take it off and get a refund. Kick off abit if they say no!
It was worth driving mine round without a backbox for a week or 2 until I could get a decent stainless sorted. As long as you dont go over 3k revs then your ears dont bleed to much:S

ha ha. yeah i know what you mean. cant even hear myself think. ill take it back tomorrow and get a refund.

where did you get your stainless from?

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Got mine done at powerflow Burnley. £250 and did a fine job. There are alot of threads on exhausts at the mo. Search K-tec, yozza, powerflow, stealth and you will start to find what you need:D

Megane 225
Sounds like they've used the standard Clio box, if you do a search there was a guy a while back had this problem and was loosing power in his 172 cos o it!

took it back and they put a bigger one on, although its oval and not round this time. Still makes one hell of a noise, so im going to another garage and theyre fitting a genuine renault square one for £200 all in. They said the most expensive part isnt actually the back box itself, but is a part that attaches to the box so that it can be hung from the rubber mount that is on the chassis. Anyone give me any heads up on this?

So im going to dump the old one back on the other garage's desk and demand a full refund. already stopped payment on the card.

ok, advice for everyone. if youre going to need a new exhaust and you're not going for a sports one, make sure you put a genuine renault part on. It costs double, but trust me its definately worth it.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I would pay an extra £50 or so and get a powerflow cat back or something, then you should never have a problem with it again.
And it will sound better:cool:
th_VIDEO_006.jpg

R26, R27
had the same problem but done all my exhaust,just way to loud compare to the original and you can tell when the second cam comes in,i dont think the more expesnsive one will be that much better

Renaultsport 197
I had same problem aswel when I bought My 172. Thought it was sounding a bit gruntier than normal and turned out to be the cheap exhaust replacement that was on it.

Swapped that for a Scorpion cat back stainless for peace of mind :)

Worth it in the long run for cost and shelf life I would say!