ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Cup Immobiliser/ECU/Key issue

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
I've seen a few threads like this now so apologies if I'm repeating what others have already posted, but I cant seem to find a solution and they don't 100% relate to the issue I'm currently having.

So my car has been a bit temperamental when starting, most of the time its fine and starts first time, I've had a few occasions when it would take 4-5 attempts to get it going and the odd time where it just refused. Now though it's just not starting at all. When I turn on the ignition I get a solid immobiliser light that doesn't go out, but when I try and turn it over the light flashes really fast, both my needles jump around and my interior lights flicker.

Clearly this is some sort of electrical issue, has anyone else experienced this? Or can someone point me in the direction of a similar thread?

Cheers!!

Dex90

ClioSport Club Member
  11Megne250/02Clio172
have you got another key to try for a while and see if it does the same thing?

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
Yeah I have a spare key, I tried it and it worked for like a week then it stopped and it's doing it with both keys now

Dex90

ClioSport Club Member
  11Megne250/02Clio172
does the starter sound strong when turning over?
it's unlikely a bad immobilizer and you've checked 2 keys so unlikely a key problem.
have you checked the grounds are connected up? there's a few thread around with an explanation on where to find these.
check fuses/relays

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
Yeah it sounded fine when it would turn over, now it straight up refuses, it just clicks. I checked the fuses/relays last night, haven't had the chance to check the earth strap, was going to jack the car up and have a look at the weekend when I have time. Cant see it from the engine bay, I'm assuming it will be more accessible from underneath

Dex90

ClioSport Club Member
  11Megne250/02Clio172
oh ok, if it just clicks and doesn't even try to turn over then it's definitely a fuse/relay/ground wire or bad start motor. without the immobilizer the clio 172 tries to turn over and supplies fuel it just doesn't spark.

main suspect is probably a ground wire imo.

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
I hope that's the case, I'll check over the weekend, I'm hoping that's the case as its a cheap easy fix.

Thanks Dex!

Dex90

ClioSport Club Member
  11Megne250/02Clio172
it could even be a bad battery, have you tried getting someone to give you a jump?

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
If it was a bad battery would it not then stop all my electrics functioning? My central locking, lights, radio all work fine. I've not got anyone to give me a jump unfortunately

Dex90

ClioSport Club Member
  11Megne250/02Clio172
starter motor requires a lot of amps so if battery can't supply it all you will hear is a ticking when trying to start.

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
That would make sense, I'll see if I can get a jump start from some one. Thanks Dex

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
Checked my earth strap this morning and it's fine so just went out a bought a new battery. Chucked it in and fired up straight away. Sorted now, thanks again Dex!!

Dex90

ClioSport Club Member
  11Megne250/02Clio172
glad to hear, have you got a multimeter to check your alternator is working? previous battery could have died because it wasn't being charged. if you do connect up the multimeter to positive and negative of battery while car is running and set it to voltage. if it's running at 14v your good to go.

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
I don't have one but I could get one. The old battery looked ancient to be fair. Cheers for the advice. I'll look into getting myself one