ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 172 cup race car engine info ??????

master,meg, 205 maxi
Hi does anyone know if the original clio 172 cup race car heads are modified? i.e the vvt blocked off inside the head to stop it working????
just rebuilt one and had it on the rollers with and without vvt connected the graph identical checked the electrical side was working and on the previous engine it did make 25bhp and 17lbft difference?? it does have vvt cams and the same dephaser the only difference is litteraly the head?? are they capped to keep a level playing field ?

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
All std internally same as road car. Inlet exhaust ecu is different on race car .

master,meg, 205 maxi
???????? spoke to someone the other day and he said his current 172 cup race car the dephaser solinoid was not connected and no wiring for it? so did they do somthing to stop cheating?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The X65 Cup racers also retained VVC as they were essentially Stock engines but with some very minor fettling/blue printing and a standalone engine management.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Got a plug for the dephaser solenoid on both variants of the cup bay looms i have.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Yes mate, guessing one is 2000 evo and the other either 01/04. Is the one you've seen without using the marelli ecu or is it on bodies with standalone?

master,meg, 205 maxi
sorry the engine is out of a race car and been upgraded with steel crank rods& high comp pistons i then swapped the solinoid&dephaser pulley from my old engine it is on ITB'S and omex 600 the solinoid has power to activate the vvt but the graph on the rollers is identical with it pluged in and without it was working on the rollers last remap on old engine i was guessing it is blanked in the head?? may just get some non vvt cams & vernier pulleys and be done it made 197 i think so may be better and less to go wrong with non vvt

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If you have bought an engine with a steel crank and rods it's a mile away from a std cup race engine so the details of a std cup engine won't help you.
it is common on big spec motors to lose the dephasor though.