ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Cup - strange noise on acceleration

Megane 225 F1
Hi guys,

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions as to what this might be?

In 1st gear mostly, under full throttle when the revs rise above 4k I hear what I can only describe as a grating noise coming from I think the front left of the car. Only under acceleration. It sometimes makes it in 2nd gear around the same rpm if the road is damp. It's quite loud and I need to do something about it.

I had what I think was the same noise a few months back, whereby I replaced the gearbox side driveshaft and tightened the engine mount beneath the battery which was really slack. It stopped the noise. I hope it's not the driveshaft again and can't understand if it is as only just replaced, with a genuine Renault part (tried going down the motor factor route but no-one could provide the exact part for the cup!).

Any help/advise much appreciated,

Justin

Megane 225 F1
follow up - in fact the noise is pretty much from about 2k rpm onwards....I've checked that bolt that was loose on the engine mount below the battery this afternoon and it's not that. So I'm thinking the driveshaft - though there is no leaking from any of the cv boots and the new driveshafts only been on about 4months!

The dogbone mount underneath in good condition?

The engine mount at the top can give a lot of movement. I packed mine out with shims and it stopped most movement.

Those sorts of problems usually cause a knock rather than a grating sound though.

ITB'd MK1
follow up - in fact the noise is pretty much from about 2k rpm onwards....I've checked that bolt that was loose on the engine mount below the battery this afternoon and it's not that. So I'm thinking the driveshaft - though there is no leaking from any of the cv boots and the new driveshafts only been on about 4months!

did you use a genuine driveshaft?

Clio 172
hi yes if you could please give an answer to what the problem is/was i would really appreciate it , didnt want to start a new thred on the same subject, thanks fra

clio 1.6 rxe auto
i too have a similar problem i visited kwik fit today and they said it was the top engine mount, and it would be £200 i have seen the part on ebay for £10 + p&p and it will be £25 to fit