ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 cup to Trophy

172 cup, Impreza P1
Advice please on new car for the wife.

In the coming months I will be relieving the wife of her much loved 172 cup to turn it into a track car. She is very undecided on what she wants but keeps saying that she loves the performance and looks of the cup but wants something newer and with more creature comforts (Aircon and leather seats).

She does very limited miles on a day to day basis but we use it at weekends for a blast and the likes. Wanting to spend less than £8k and then it came to me, A TROPHY.

What are the 2 like to drive compared to one another and also live with on a day to day basis. The cup was purchased new by me and then I gave to the mrs when I went to a P1 but I could never bare to sell it so thats why I'm turning it into a complete toy.

What's the thoughts then guys, is this the perfect replacement or too similar?

Stagecoach Ticket
Cant imagine that it will make the slightest bit of difference tbh the trophey owners will be along to argue there case but tbh why not buy a 182 and put some new seats in it you would still be quids in and it would drive pretty much the same if you still wanted abit more put a decent set of coilovers on it. If she doesnt do much millage you could buy a higher millage 182 anyway and it would be ££££s cheaper than a trophey

172 cup, Impreza P1
Fair point mate.

Like the ltd editionness of the Trophy though. Like the look also and coilovers will be going on the track 172 cup. The Trophy would be staying std so need to get the best factory clio for under £8k.

Stagecoach Ticket
Depends what its wanted for do you want it as a driving car that has comforts or an out and out drivers car?

Never seen the point in a ltd edition clio tbh its still essentially a red 182

Maybe look down the liquid yellow 182 route and try and pick up some second hand recaros be a lovely car then and just as rare as a trophy i would of thought if not rarer (awaits some one to dig up nerd sales figures)

Stagecoach Ticket
For 8K you could prob get a semi-decent 197 tbh.

fair point yeah

surely with an 8k budget there are alot of hot hatchs out there that will do the job?
DC5?
Civic type R?

Both have alot of toys dnt they and are set up out the box?

Stripped yozza'd cup
I know if i was buying a new car, I'd want to get something that was a clear upgrade... I wouldn't say that the Trophy would be a significant enough change from the cup.

An integra dc5 would get my vote. If you could stretch the budget a tad, the new civic type r would be a good bet.... beautiful interior.

Nothing with similar horse power will feel as fast as the cup.

Clio 172
If the wife is happy in a clio then the trophy would be a good step surely, exclusive and a top handler in standard trim

Stagecoach Ticket
If the wife is happy in a clio then the trophy would be a good step surely, exclusive and a top handler in standard trim

You can go just as fast in a cup as you could in a trophy both handle really well for what they are dnt see the need for the race car spec suspension on the trophy tbh

Listerine & Poledo
182 proper with Cup packs?

Then you can keep the "refinements", such as decent all-round upholstery

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
You can go just as fast in a cup as you could in a trophy both handle really well for what they are dnt see the need for the race car spec suspension on the trophy tbh

Agreed, however the OP states the she loves the Clio performance and looks but wants more creature comforts - the Trophy seems perfect for what she wants tbh.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
They're pink as well!! Well mine is anyway, somewhere under all the dirt.

Lol, you'd be disappointed/pleased at how dirty mine is atm, too cold to clean! Hit what could only be described as an ostrich the other day too, so now have a lovely dent in the bonnet, bad times! All getting de-dented and full bonnet/bumper/wings re-spray next weekend though, so will be minty fresh :)

Agreed, however the OP states the she loves the Clio performance and looks but wants more creature comforts - the Trophy seems perfect for what she wants tbh.

Creature comforts, she would be better off with a 182 rather than a trophy.

Gman

ClioSport Club Member
  Mt10 Zx6r golf tdi

It's a good job you didn't have any say in Renault's decision to fit that suspension then. In doing so they made one hell of a road car, I've never driven anything that is so composed and compliant as what the Trophy is over our roads. I don't disagree with what you say about the Cup being just as fast though.

P1 + Trophy + Clio track car sounds like a pretty good fleet to me!