ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Cup- Track Car

172 Cup (Track)
Yeah that's fair enough.

Really liking the interior and how the door cards and windows look together, this will be my next task..

Did I miss it, what did you use to paint your interior, rattle cans or a proper spray gun?

Yeh door cards finish it off well, inside is painted with a spray gun!

Goodstuff mate

There are cheaper alternate tyres to R888 these days. Granted they don't have the out right grip of them but not far off ime and a fair bit cheaper. Like the Federal RSRs (using these atm) and Nankang NS2R (fairly new and may try these next) for example. Makes it a bit more fun imo , might be worth a look pal

Yeh i seen RSRs are £260 a set, how do you compare them to 888s? I dont want to spend £260 because theyre cheap, to just wish i bought 888s! If 888s are better id rather spend the money!

Speak to Fraser he might be able to help you out with part worns until you make your mind up

Cheers mate. Remembered Fraser. Lol

172 Cup (Track)
Rollbar padding!

F5673AF8-276B-4706-8647-5EFB30AF20A1_zpsauuztqh0.jpg

Stoppers arrived!

C05B250A-B5FE-43C8-AB08-A9678D9D72E8_zpsya9to9cm.jpg

Hopefully fit them this weekend along with suspension jobs!

172 Cup (Track)
Started on the front suspension and brakes. Got one side done, other side tomorrow!

Fitted Brembo Max discs, CL RC5+ pads, Powerflex inner bushes, new ball joint and track rod end. Gave everything a clean and free off to make for easy adjustments and for when it gets set-up, and a quick paint to freshen up and protect!

not the clearest pictures but gives the idea:

Before (they looked bad- but thankfully it was due to the coilovers being covered in grease to protect!)
BD3781E0-2251-4C3E-AA25-6BF33B6DDB2B_zpstgu9ctui.jpg

After
2FD09F27-C5D4-4D8F-9674-D4330C1E6626_zpsuxlayqra.jpg

will do other side tomorrow, maybe rear depending on time and change fluid to AP Racing 5.1. :race:

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Yeh i seen RSRs are £260 a set, how do you compare them to 888s? I dont want to spend £260 because theyre cheap, to just wish i bought 888s! If 888s are better id rather spend the money!

Like I say they don't have the outright grip mate, but i'm very happy with them for the money. They cope with standing water better than the R888 , which is probably a good thing up your way!

172 Cup (Track)
Plumbed in fire extinguisher fitted (time consuming- and needed longer cable than supplied), battery isolator fitted (ign wire still needs found!), rear brakes stripped, cleaned & lubed. Grip tape fitted to floorwell.

Wheels away to get powdercoated (what colour suit it best?) then new 888s to fit when they return.

Got some spare wheels (BBS RX) and had them stripped then painted them, ive got part worn slicks for summer track days and maybe fit wets if required.

Pictures
518634A9-8783-428B-911B-D8151D26A810_zpsogdav9bo.jpg

302CA794-1C83-4418-8D61-CDDE5D1B37E5_zpskf4ec9rv.jpg

8F3EE3A1-5FA3-40EB-8859-ACE2AF5D42E0_zps6z7llqu2.jpg

00388471-9F19-4425-9F7E-07C17F2FF7C0_zpsvcrbbhih.jpg

0B25B89B-313A-4242-8D10-B6816906E192_zpsv8fip3rh.jpg

172 Cup (Track)
Fire extinguisher finished.
Battery isolator fitted and marshal cut off fitted.
Lap timer fitted.
Wheels freshly refurbished and spanking 888s fitted.

30FBB11A-D859-47D1-9C2B-D36845C505A8_zpsms0ku1tc.jpg

2FF3C9CB-E545-45F0-AC58-142902333186_zpsrcrihdbv.jpg

0E1093A6-CDF5-4F1C-8AA1-11E897E5EFC2_zpswpveovdf.jpg

Cup In bits
You've done a good job on this Gaz, helps when your pals have a nice workshop with all the tools at hand.

Whats involved in wiring the DT lap timer? Do you need a beacon? I'm needing one, most racers run them at KH so they must be okay.

172 Cup (Track)
Cheers Morgan. Garage is my family business, garage/ MOT station. Helps when im a mechanic/ MOT tester. :clap:

Lap timer is just battery powered and has a pick up i have ran round to the passenger rear on the rollcage pointing out the window to pick up a beacon.

I have a beacon, but im hoping Knockhill have one thats always on to save the messing around placing a beacon somewhere safe and out of view, as i think lap timing is banned at track days etc? If Knockhill dont have a beacon then a beacon will be needed to put on the pit wall.

If your there when i am, my beacon could be used for your timer ( or any amount of timers), its just an infra red beam.

Track day events are not insured to allow lap timing...would be a bonus iff the beacon is left "on" though. Marshals would have a field day with that DT timer if they saw that though at Brands lol

Great project mate, coming on nicely

Cup In bits
Haha aye well that helps, hence the quick progress too. I thought you were doing the work at a mates stock car lock up lol.

Yeah its 'banned' but so is many things at Knockhill but that's why its great to do track days there, they are very lenient. I'm pretty sure the beacons are left on most times.

I am torn between one of these and a vbox but I'm not geeky enough to get the benefit of one of them really so I think I'll just get the DT timer. I looked at them in the past but I can't mind, does it do projected times linking your best sectors together?

172 cup, Impreza P1
Haha aye well that helps, hence the quick progress too. I thought you were doing the work at a mates stock car lock up lol.

Yeah its 'banned' but so is many things at Knockhill but that's why its great to do track days there, they are very lenient. I'm pretty sure the beacons are left on most times.

I am torn between one of these and a vbox but I'm not geeky enough to get the benefit of one of them really so I think I'll just get the DT timer. I looked at them in the past but I can't mind, does it do projected times linking your best sectors together?

A Vbox will give you far more data than a lap timer and it works without a beacon. You would love the data a vbox spits out Morgan and would probably pleasure yourself watching the lines you took through certain corners! Lol

Cup In bits
A Vbox will give you far more data than a lap timer and it works without a beacon. You would love the data a vbox spits out Morgan and would probably pleasure yourself watching the lines you took through certain corners! Lol

What you trying to say like. I would rather drive it than compare its data to another car. A lap timer with sector times and projected best would be all I need to actually improve lap times while in the car.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Who said anything about comparing data on another car? It's good to show your lines plotted round the circuit so you can see which lines gives the fastest lap times!

172 Cup (Track)
The lap timer and beacon were lying in the garage so i didnt have to buy them, so havent looked into anything else.

It only gives lap number and time as it only has one reference point (the beacon), for sector (saying that in my head like Keith Lemon) you need something with GPS.

Fraser, i certainly dont have too much money, im just biting the bullet just now so its ready for the track and SLS. Some hard graft will pay for it as always :D

Next stage (end of the year) will hopefully be a 20vt and 300+ bhp, LSD etc and maybe grow big enough baws to enter a round or two of sports & saloons next year!?

172 Cup (Track)
16" although im on the look out for 15" Superleggeras which id prefer size wise. 16s are pretty close in there until its raised a bit, due to 888s only being available in 195/50/16.

Passat TDi
16" although im on the look out for 15" Superleggeras which id prefer size wise. 16s are pretty close in there until its raised a bit, due to 888s only being available in 195/50/16.

I was going to ask about clearance's is it tight arch side? I prefer the look on 16's especially the turini! and I doubt I'd notice the difference in handling between a 15 and 16 plus I dont want to go super low due to roll center's etc hmmmm decisions

172 cup, Impreza P1

As I said on TS, they will rub. 15's are required for track work with lowered suspension.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
My car had 16"888's on when i bought it on track it only rubbed lightly on the near side rear, but switched to 15's and did notice a improvement on track plus tyres are a lot cheaper.

Cup In bits
Who said anything about comparing data on another car? It's good to show your lines plotted round the circuit so you can see which lines gives the fastest lap times!

I didn't mean that to come across the way it did Steve. I think that's the vBox's best feature, comparing against others laps like Adam does on TS it shows where you need baws and where to reel it in.

Gaz get yourself out in S&S's, I don't know of any other mk 2 clio's out, I think there's a mk3 racer out this year. It did one round last year and made many cars look very stupid.

172 Cup (Track)
Somehow never seen replies here. Got car set up with 888 16s fine.

Morgan, im wanting to put a VW 20vt in mine at the end of the year, 350bhp ish and id then have a shot in S&S. What power will yours be?

Cars had more done, just havent updated. Its going out for its first outing tomorrow at Knockhill!

From what i can remember ive done since last update-

Drained oils and filled with Fuchs pro S engine oil and Elf synto something gear oil.
Bought and fitted rear roll bar.
Bought and fitted a sunstrip (sun visors have been recycled!).
Lots of small tidying up jobs!!

Rear antiroll bar fitted and mk4 Golf spring adjusters as mine were seized and needed raising!
6D362310-6FC2-4C73-B672-D0616204EB91_zpsst0xzg9j.jpg

Height set at front and how its looking in there
C4EF4943-1C22-4073-9A5D-41C4290351B3_zpsiafzz8o4.jpg

Car all washed and ready to be loaded up. Note the sunstrip
CE6346B2-0615-4966-843C-C2F225282EAD_zpsoyihmatt.jpg

Loaded and good to go, just need rocket fuel in the morning and im set.
DAA727DD-0BD9-4436-B036-B4A0035EA071_zpsmqvi7ljv.jpg

Cup In bits
Looking good Gaz, my racer will only be circa 220 bhp for a start. As soon as you turbo it though you won't be racing me ;). Different class!

What RARB is that, never seen them with black bushes.

You out wouldn't have anymore sun strip material do you, I have Adam bringing me a TS one down as I didn't have time to get another and I really don't want big writing on it.

172 Cup (Track)
Is that right, i dont even know the S&S groups/ regs.

Its a whiteline RARB, i thought it was different having black too- which im glad about. Its brand new from EARS Motorsport- only £149 delivered.

sunstrip material was just enough to do one and a spare few inches, £3 on Ebay but presume you want one for today?

Cup In bits
Looks good, the black bushes will last better too.

No worries, was looking for one today, might get something at Halfords if I'm lucky on the way down.

Time me to get going

172 Cup (Track)
Well first outing was pretty much spot on, never had to touch a thing on the car all day, it was totally reliable and handled great.

Biggest problem is gearbox is crunching into gears. :( Brakes also lost their sharpness after around 10laps.

Heres an onboard of me chasing a Clio 172 sprint car with throttle bodies and a limited slip diff, then an M3.

http://youtu.be/ywbpbFzGApo

And a pic

31FF2C1A-FC6E-440C-B2C5-1E4F7F5AE8F5_zps9wvtcdfo.jpg

172 Cup (Track)
Cheers Niel/ Martin.

Car is standard with a graph showing a healthy 175bhp from before i bought it, but certainly isnt a freak 200bhp engine. Lol.

Ive had a track car before, was years ago now- before they added sausage kerbs etc!

Cup In bits
Good going. Like I said Gaz, the cars a freak. It kept up with two circa 200bhp cars (that one is 215bhp or so :S) when they're twos up.

What at milage does it have out of interest?

172 Cup (Track)
The silver one has 215bhp? Weird..

I just done a quick online power to weight calculation thing to see the difference for passenger weight- adjusted power from mine to 200bhp and with extra 85kg (average male weight plus 10kg seat) and even with that passenger a 200bhp Clio should have best part of 10bhp per tonne more than me.

Obviously you still have your interior too Morgan, but its not right that i can pass that silver one up the straight, 215bhp plus passenger is still 22bhp per tonne more than me.

I did wonder why he was asking my cars 'spec'. Haha.

Either way, im not complaining- safely say i wont be buying throttle bodies any time soon!

Morgan, maybe the answer... Its done 212k...

Only joking, 75k with plenty history etc! :)

172 Cup (Track)
Oh, ive ordered a Synchromesh set from Renault to arrive tomorrow, i hope to f**k that i can strip/repair/rebuild without the mass of special tools and hope that it only needs the synchros!

Ive a spare gear set now at least!

So ive the job of removing, stripping, repairing, rebuilding and refitting a gearbox before Saturday. Whilst working 8.30-5pm! Can see me getting the cold shoulder from the Mrs again!

Cup In bits
Aye his car was RR'd at circa 220bhp he said at Wallace Performance Aberdeen (pinch of salt)

Nah I wouldn't touch it either tbh. I think its the turinis and silver indicator bulbs that's giving it the pace, either that or the 100 s**t of NOS your running ;)

Have you ever played '52 card pick up'.....? Well expect to be doing that with springs, detent's and selector forks haha.

I might have to take out the jack, toolkit and a 1 litre of oil I carry to keep up with you on Saturday.