ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 cup wheels won't fit

Clio 172 + 172 cup
I recently bought some wheels for my 172 cup, they were advertised as coming from a 172 cup but the centre of the wheels where it fits over the hub is chamfered on the wheels and square on my hub so it won't seat properly. I don't know if my hubs are the correct ones or if the wheels are not right. I'm new to Clios so don't know which models of wheel are which, this is what the wheel looks like...

T2eC16FyEE9s5jDWL9BR9nGT26j60_12_zpsa49a90e0.jpg

Any help appreciated, it looks like I might have to get the tyres off and look for a cheap set of other wheels, but I want to know what I have and what I need to buy. Help....

MC

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
That is a bog standard Clio wheel. Worth about £20. It's not from a Clio cup.

It should fit perfectly.

If it doesn't, then there is a problem.

Clio 172 + 172 cup
I'll take a photo of the inside of the wheel and the hub tonight. I wasn't bothered about the wheels, I bought the tyres and they came on the wheels, but I do need them to fit. The advert didn't say that they were Cup wheels, but that they had been taken off a 172 cup, so I did expect them to bolt straight on. I'll check again tonight, it was late and I was tired, perhaps I was just being a numpty.

MC

Last edited:

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Are you sure you haven't been running wheels with Spiggot rings that have got stuck on the hubs when you removed the old wheels?

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
I use them on my cup, they were on my car when my brother borrowed it to do oulton park the other week so they should go straight on.

Clio 172 + 172 cup
It all makes sense now, it was the spigot rings.

This is the hub after taking the wheel off.

IMG_1637_zpsb1a64c65.jpg

I then removed the offending ring..

IMG_1638_zpsa777c5ed.jpg

This is the back of the wheel the spigot ring had come out of...

IMG_1639_zpsddb8b885.jpg

Wheel now fits...

IMG_1640_zpsf28479f9.jpg

As I mentioned earlier, I knew that these were not cup wheels, but they had been advertised as being fitted to a 172 cup so I did expect them to fit. I only wanted the tyres but they came on the wheels so I might as well use them. I'm going to have a go at cleaning them up and spraying them just to see what they look like as they are a bit of a state to say the least. I wanted a spare set of wheels so that I can take a set of slicks and some tyres with tread in case of rain.

Thanks for the help guys, hopefully I'll have fewer numpty questions and some more interesting ones in the future.

Next job is to sort out the dashboard wiring and remove the airbags...

MC

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Winner.

TBH it's fairly common for people not to realise the rings are stuck on the hubs. Unless your looking you wouldn't really know.