ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Cup

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and thought i would start a project thread so i could get some feedback on the car and maybe some ideas for future mods!

I have just bought my first Clio and its my first Renault. Always liked the 172 cup and decided that my Subaru had spent enough of my money on fuel so i sold this -

null_zps182efd0d.jpg

and bought this -

747.jpg

749.jpg

The Clio is on 80,000 with full service history. Needs the belt done and after spending a bit of time on hear im going to replace the dephaser as well.

So after a couple of days of ownership i noticed a few faults that i wanted to get sorted ASAP.

The car wouldn't heat up so i replaced the thermostat and water pump i also flushed the heater matrix and radiator out, I also changed the aux belt as it was knackered.
It is now heating up well.

The other fault was a knocking from the back which i thought was maybe a bush or failed suspension part. Then one day last week the back box decided to fall of the car on my way up to my folks! :mad: Good news though the knocking had stopped! :)

This is what was left -

IMG_2125.jpg

IMG_2127.jpg

So i bought this ktec stealth cat back from Clio172T (Matt)

IMG_2128.jpg

IMG_2129.jpg

IMG_2130.jpg

Nice easy job and sounds so much better.

So that's all i have done so far just need to buy the timing belt kit and dephaser and get them fitted. Then that will hopefully be all of the service jobs done. Unless anything else decides to break!

Im not sure on the long term goal for the Clio, The car is standard and has been really well cared for so would be a shame to do anything to drastic looks wise!

Plan to get the Wheels done in anthracite as they could do with a refurb and possibly do something with the suspension as i think the back end feels a bit unstable.

Let me know your thoughts so far and also any good mods?

Also meant to ask about the rev limiter. I know the car gives you an extra 1000revs once heated up. The thermostat now goes to mid way but i am still not getting my extra revs all of the time! Any ideas what the cause could be? Cheers.

Cup In bits
Car looks good, what was wrong with the exhaust. That strainer tailpipe look is in this season ;)

Your rev issue is the temp switch, get that replaced and it will be sorted. If your not able to do the belts yourself then SWR are not far from you and there prices are brilliant from what I have seen.

Oh and the rear shocks are known for being rubbish, £40 a side from Renault and it will be spot on and another £80 on top and you will have 4 new shocks all round which will transform the car.

Last edited:
  Cup In bits
I bet it sounded fruity.

Yeah I meant the temp sensor that was a typo, they don't have a temp switch. The sensor is screwed into the thermostat housing on the gearbox side of the engine.

I bet it sounded fruity.

Yeah I meant the temp sensor that was a typo, they don't have a temp switch. The sensor is screwed into the thermostat housing on the gearbox side of the engine.

Perfect. Cheers for that, was really bugging me. Its not the same car without the revs.

Ill have a look at the back shocks on Saturday to see if they are seeping. Possibly thinking of doing a few track days so might invest in something a bit firmer!

So i replaced the temperature sensor today but still have an issue with the rev limiter

When i sit in traffic for a bit the temp goes up and the rev limiter will go up for a short period until the car cools down a bit after i get moving.

Hear is pic of the temp gauge when i am getting the extended rev limiter
4EACB61E-F61C-40D8-B1AE-5C1872ED0FE2.jpg

And this is the gauge as it runs most of the time.
A67E1CFE-CA65-4988-B83D-7416E318B4BD.jpg

Can anyone shed any light on this? Its doing my head in!

cheers.

So finally got to the bottom of it! I bought a cheap temp sensor from ebay and that didn't work it made the gauge read cooler!!!!! So i then decided to buy a genuine one from Renault and now the temp gauge is spot on and i have the extra revs! :D

Also have had some new parts delivered!

D7CB2EBF-54AE-481A-AF35-40D91650BE16.jpg

Cant wait to get them fitted hopefully will notice a big difference.

Next thing to do is get this all fitted and then look at getting some suspension sorted out!

So I got allot done on the car last week.

First thing I got done was the timing belt and dephaser pulley.

E46C4E4A-574C-43FF-8379-0D085167F513.jpg

Wasn't as bad as everyone made out. While I was there I replaced all the engine mounts and uprated the dogbone with the powerflex kit.

next thing I did was change the plugs. I found that cylinders 3 and 4 had about 10mm of oil around the spark plugs! -

033B1C8F-1657-459C-97DF-5BC0379FD643.jpg

im guessing that the oil has leaked from the top part of the rocker cover! Is this common? Also is it a paper gasket or just instant gasket? Any info would be appreciated!

next thing I done was make an induction kit! -

6A3771A3-13CD-4058-9140-26578CB7748F.jpg

C8D865EC-9F45-4011-B4AB-16D23155DF82.jpg

really pleased with how it turned out and it sounds great.

Then it was on to fitting the coilovers that I had acquired!

50CC4025-7133-45D9-99DD-C51EBC9C3B20.jpg

And hear are a couple of pictures of how that car is sitting now.

3C6EB319-BF9B-4AA3-A94C-655CD79AA04A.jpg

1F7207E7-B414-499E-8551-26B4D598FF85.jpg

has anyone found that fitting coilovers has affected there tracking? Car seems to be a bit jumpy at the front end over bumps!

Last thing I had to do was change the steering wheel from this -

FA499086-0B13-4D8B-BC3D-5E266AF4D2F7.jpg

to this -

C383FC96-877C-4B22-A700-9B557C40E621.jpg

but I only got this far!

EACA70AA-61B2-46C3-B29A-FC81ED34B5E9.jpg

i managed to get the bolt out but the wheel will not budge. I have tried hammering, pulling it, heating it, wobbling it. Doesn't seem to want to move!!! Any tips on how to get this off?

So that's where I am at just now. Looking forward to getting the car up to Knockhill to see what it's like! Any info or feedback is welcome.

Also I was planning in doing the wheels anthracite but kind of like the silver!?! What do people think? Stick silver or go anthracite?

Cheers

Looking good, did you do the belt yourself?

Oil could be from leaking rocker cover or even spilling it whilst topping up. It has two gaskets, one is a pre formed thing, and the main cover is just a tube of sealant. (I think).

The wheel probably needs a good wiggling tbh, leave the bolt in a bit and hang off it lol.

Tracking will need done after fitting coilovers. Try CLCM at Hermiston Gait, they done my 182 and it was spot on.