ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 electrics died whilst driving

Clio 182 FF
Hi chaps,

On saturday me and my missus went and picked up a 172 Clio for her as a new daily (she doesnt do much mileage) and all was honky doory, however, we had done about 17 miles (wet evening), I was just putting the high beams on and bam, all of the dash lights went out, the radio went out, the climate control went off, basically everything went off except the Engine and the front lights. Now, I'm trying to fix this for her as it's going to be her daily and it's not trustworthy right now, I'm guessing it will be some kind of earthing issue as I know this is common, what earth would I be wise to check? As I know there are 2 by the front passenger light and 2 in the back light area. Any help would be appreciated

Have you checked all the fuses are not blown? And are the correct rating for the socket they are in?

It sounds like it might be something getting damp and shorting out. IIRC the car will fail to do anything if the main earth strap connections break off/come loose.

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
Have you checked all the fuses are not blown? And are the correct rating for the socket they are in?

It sounds like it might be something getting damp and shorting out. IIRC the car will fail to do anything if the main earth strap connections break off/come loose.
This. My alfa is doing something similar. Was main earth.

Clio 182 FF
I've had a good look around it, the night it did this it obviously took us by surprise, however we went and started it again the day after and it all came to life again? And a few days later weve come to it again and now when we tried to start it it's just clicking. I need to fix it really because I want it to be reliable as a daily

If sometimes the battery is charged but sometimes it isn't, it could be a failing battery (worse/dead when cold) or perhaps a loose connection from the alternator, or maybe even a failing alternator.

If you can get a voltmeter on the alternator you can check the output (don't ask me how to do that :LOL:) and Halfords will happily test your battery with the special gadget if they think they will get a battery sale, lol.

Clio 182 FF
Thanks a bunch guys, when I get some time I'll have a good look at it, got the battery out and had it charging, was nearly full, took about a minute to charge 😂

thecrim22

ClioSport Club Member
  various
if the battery is fully charged and its still clicking sounds like a wiring fault, if you have a set of jump leads take 1 of them and connect one end to the negative terminal on the battery and the other a nice clean metal point on the engine inlet manifold ect and see if it starts if so then you got an earth problem

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
I bet it’s the earth going to gearbox under battery tray.

That’s of course your confident battery is good.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
I can tell you how to disable that but the alarm is probably confused so let it sound out for 5 minutes and it should reset itself.

Clio 182 FF
I can tell you how to disable that but the alarm is probably confused so let it sound out for 5 minutes and it should reset itself.
How would you go about disabling it bud? Rather properly lock the car and have no alarm because the immobiliser is good enough

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
How would you go about disabling it bud? Rather properly lock the car and have no alarm because the immobiliser is good enough

Under the dash glovebox side there is a large cable that joins between the glovebox and center console, you can’t miss it when you have it. Will take a few mins to find it but once found, simple disconnect and the alarm will be deactivated.