ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 ph1- black, OEM restoration.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
New genuine lower arms and roll bar bushes arrived.

160ED473-490B-4AE3-86BB-F43F1C23E163.jpeg

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Were the genuine wish bones a decent price and are they a "direct swap" as in they don't need any bushes pressed into them?
Only asking as these are on the parts list for mine and was going to get the front wheel bearings, track rods and ball joints replaced at the next MoT test next summer so was going to start sourcing parts for it soon to spread the costs.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Were the genuine wish bones a decent price and are they a "direct swap" as in they don't need any bushes pressed into them?
Only asking as these are on the parts list for mine and was going to get the front wheel bearings, track rods and ball joints replaced at the next MoT test next summer so was going to start sourcing parts for it soon to spread the costs.

The wishbones are a direct swap, they come with the bushes and ball joints fitted already. They aren't cheap compared to non genuine ones, but the way i look at it is buy cheap buy twice.

Renault parts direct have them at a discounted price https://www.renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/parts/steering-suspension/renault-clio-172-front-wishbone-mk1/ im not sure why the phase 1 wishbones are about £8 more expensive than the phase 2 ones.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
That's not too bad a price really, even at full price. I might get some then this month will see closer to the end of the month but I am getting an exhaust for it in the coming days.
Totally understand on the buy cheap buy twice principle. I've been doing the same with my E34 when I have been swapping parts on that, bought genuine BMW parts when the price difference wasn't too much. I even bought brand new genuine E31 4 pot Brembo callipers instead of going second hand as I knew they would work first time! They were not cheap. Going down a similar route with my Ph1 recommissioning

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
That's not too bad a price really, even at full price. I might get some then this month will see closer to the end of the month but I am getting an exhaust for it in the coming days.
Totally understand on the buy cheap buy twice principle. I've been doing the same with my E34 when I have been swapping parts on that, bought genuine BMW parts when the price difference wasn't too much. I even bought brand new genuine E31 4 pot Brembo callipers instead of going second hand as I knew they would work first time! They were not cheap. Going down a similar route with my Ph1 recommissioning

Love your e34, always wanted one! i had an e39 years ago, loved that.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Love your e34, always wanted one! i had an e39 years ago, loved that.
I bought the Clio to restore in the meantime until my M140i goes back in 2 years time to use as a daily and so I didn't ruin my E34 with stupid things like ITB's however I keep looking at E39/E38's to daily instead and have two weekend cars with the Clio and E34. I keep telling myself no but knowing full well a 540i or a 740i will be purchased.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
I would much prefer 31 degrees though..

Never realised that was the temperature sensor!

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
How hard was to get the plastic cover off?
And where did you find the sensor as i find the oem one with prices about 80 euro
I had a mirror unit lying around in my garage so I took it off that.

Pop the glass off to access the tabs holding the cover on.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
When you get the wheels back, scotch up the wheels weights and use a touch up pot of lacquer and go over them. Keeps them nice and silver/shiny and stops them going crusty.

please.

it’s a pet hate of mine seeing nice shiny wheels and crusty wheel weights behind the spokes.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
When you get the wheels back, scotch up the wheels weights and use a touch up pot of lacquer and go over them. Keeps them nice and silver/shiny and stops them going crusty.

please.

it’s a pet hate of mine seeing nice shiny wheels and crusty wheel weights behind the spokes.
The last set they did for me they used painted aluminium weights, still look like new, that was 2 years ago.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I’m

we don’t all eat raw potatoes and drink John smiths whilst driving Citroen Xantia’s running cherry.

some of us have class. Alastair has proven his class with his (frankly epic!) choice of lager.
Actually the Yorkshire crew used peer pressure on me and I only drink the finest of beers these days😂😂

Johns is for alcoholics and cleaning the drains😂

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Beer on a Thursday! And yeah, Red Stripe?
I’m

we don’t all eat raw potatoes and drink John smiths whilst driving Citroen Xantia’s running cherry.

some of us have class. Alastair has proven his class with his (frankly epic!) choice of lager.

Notice where the Renault diamonds are pointing, something you said to me years ago when I had my Cup 😂

Dom, decent larger the old Red stripe!!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Notice where the Renault diamonds are pointing, something you said to me years ago when I had my Cup 😂

Amazing!!

ironically, last weekend a mate rang me to ask me what way his new BMW badges had to go in because he said he couldn’t cope with me moaning when I saw it next. 😂😂😂

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182

I'd have lined them up with the bolt holes.

On a serious note they look stunning

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Amazing!!

ironically, last weekend a mate rang me to ask me what way his new BMW badges had to go in because he said he couldn’t cope with me moaning when I saw it next. 😂😂😂

How do you cope with the floating BMW caps? Always upright yet not in line with the valve 😂

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I did the same with mine when I put new centre caps in recently. Hate it when things like that are just thrown in. Even my mountain bike tyres are lined up so the logos are next to the valve. OCD ftw.

I now need to go and check if the centre caps on my M140i are lined up....I hope the Germans did that correctly.

Red Stripe is the taste of Drum and Bass, reminds me of being a student again and going to grotty clubs.