ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Phase 1 - Barn find

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Evening,

This is my pearl black Phase 1 barn find. Actually found this in a barn, on a farm, the story goes I went to a job, as we pulled into the farm there were various cars in the fields surrounding, varying from a Jensen interceptor to a mk1 fiesta. The Clio luckily wasn't in a field but was under an open fronted barn/shack in a nice wet pile of hay, best place for a car to sit 🙄
DSCPDC_0001_BURST20200424163429064.JPG

it had been the previous owners (our client) car for just over a decade before he gifted it to his mother who according to herself used to give it a good thrashing around the lanes.
I obviously saw the car, forgot my days work, almost wet myself and proceeded to try and buy immediately.
Purchased it and a few days later
DSC_0148.JPG

Took it back to our yard to see what the crack was, payed 0 attention to the condition of the car I just knew I wanted it, all the brakes were seized on, engine didn't start and so on, wasn't bothered just wanted it!!
DSC_0150.JPG
DSC_0151.JPG
DSC_0152.JPG
DSC_0153.JPG
DSC_0154.JPG
DSC_0155.JPG

On taking it back to the yard, it wasn't pretty in the sun. Knew it would scrub off though so wasn't too fussed. Pulled the rear plate off and there were 3 all stuck together! With a bit of fettling managed to get it started with a cap of petrol down the throttle body, figured it was injectors, got a used set from someone on gumtree for a few pennies, fitted them and straight in on the first crank. New injectors will be fitted just didn't want to buy new ones if that wasn't the issue, but in hind sight I realise that makes no sense. Engine sounds really sweet, ran a compression test and pretty much got bang on 200 across all 4 cylinders.
Gave it a good decontamination and it came up quite nice, every single window that's bonded leaks though, hence the mould! So removing and refitting these is on the list.

Plenty more to follow if anyone's interested.

Attachments

• DSC_0156.JPG
    DSC_0156.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 333
  • DSC_0159.JPG
    DSC_0159.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 328

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Thanks for the response lads. Had a nosey at the belt as I had the wheel off, they are in rather a state, needless to say I haven't started it since! I shall get more uploaded soon.

Sent from my J8110 using Tapatalk

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
😆 That steering wheel! What are all the usual rust points like? If it all cleans up well and assuming you paid a sensible price that's one hell of a find

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
[emoji38] That steering wheel! What are all the usual rust points like? If it all cleans up well and assuming you paid a sensible price that's one hell of a find
All will be revealed in good time! [emoji6]

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Max size those after pics!

We need before, during & after interior pics (and wear a full hazmat suit)

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Cheers for the replies. @Djw John Mileage is on 106k, the engine will be coming out soon, and when its out I'm in two minds on having it rebuilt along with the box, not sure how far I'm going to go with things yet!

Plenty more to come, got lots of pictures stored.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Evening,

This is my pearl black Phase 1 barn find. Actually found this in a barn, on a farm, the story goes I went to a job, as we pulled into the farm there were various cars in the fields surrounding, varying from a Jensen interceptor to a mk1 fiesta. The Clio luckily wasn't in a field but was under an open fronted barn/shack in a nice wet pile of hay, best place for a car to sit 🙄
View attachment 1502336
it had been the previous owners (our client) car for just over a decade before he gifted it to his mother who according to herself used to give it a good thrashing around the lanes.
I obviously saw the car, forgot my days work, almost wet myself and proceeded to try and buy immediately.
Purchased it and a few days later
View attachment 1502337
Took it back to our yard to see what the crack was, payed 0 attention to the condition of the car I just knew I wanted it, all the brakes were seized on, engine didn't start and so on, wasn't bothered just wanted it!!
View attachment 1502339View attachment 1502344View attachment 1502345View attachment 1502346View attachment 1502347View attachment 1502348
On taking it back to the yard, it wasn't pretty in the sun. Knew it would scrub off though so wasn't too fussed. Pulled the rear plate off and there were 3 all stuck together! With a bit of fettling managed to get it started with a cap of petrol down the throttle body, figured it was injectors, got a used set from someone on gumtree for a few pennies, fitted them and straight in on the first crank. New injectors will be fitted just didn't want to buy new ones if that wasn't the issue, but in hind sight I realise that makes no sense. Engine sounds really sweet, ran a compression test and pretty much got bang on 200 across all 4 cylinders.
Gave it a good decontamination and it came up quite nice, every single window that's bonded leaks though, hence the mould! So removing and refitting these is on the list.

Plenty more to follow if anyone's interested.

Hero

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Brave man taking that on. I hope its not as bad as it potentially could be, or did the water leak in the windows and out the sills?
Luckily nothing had pooled inside the car, so it made its exit somehow!

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Must be quite unusual the rear window seals actually breaking? You’d think it’d be safer inside a barn too.

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Must be quite unusual the rear window seals actually breaking? You’d think it’d be safer inside a barn too.
I mean in all fairness, the rear one only dribbles in with the jetwash steaming out the mould around it. Either way they are all coming out!

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I mean in all fairness, the rear one only dribbles in with the jetwash steaming out the mould around it. Either way they are all coming out!

My boot glass does at the bottom, only a small 5-10mm section

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Nice find!

Are you sharing what you paid for her [emoji3166] [emoji23]
Best not share what I paid [emoji6] nearly got someone who can replicate those phase 1 door sill stickers too [emoji108]

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
oh go on, tell us, I paid 600 for mine...……..about 6k into it now though, flol!
It wasn't much, lets put it that way [emoji1787] I've already priced up the suspension refresh alone which is over 2k [emoji51][emoji51]

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
It does't take long to get balls deep, kept a spreadsheet on mine and not added the front end suspension refresh yet as it's in the shed, not actually on the car yet, lol!

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
It does't take long to get balls deep, kept a spreadsheet on mine and not added the front end suspension refresh yet as it's in the shed, not actually on the car yet, lol!
Got to be done though! Well if you don't put it on I will happily take it off your hands [emoji2960]

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
It wasn't much, lets put it that way [emoji1787] I've already priced up the suspension refresh alone which is over 2k [emoji51][emoji51]

£2 grand!! for what??

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Evening all.
Got stuck into the interior, some good before and afters.
It was properly gross inside, used autosmart G101 and a hard bristled brush to get the bulk off. Followed by biobrisk to deal with the mould.
DSC_0162.JPG
DSC_0161.JPG
DSC_0163.JPG
DSC_0166.JPG
DSC_0164.JPG
DSC_0165.JPG
DSC_0169.JPG
DSC_0171.JPG
DSC_0167.JPG
DSC_0170.JPG

Cleaned up quite well in fairness. Not fully finished cleaning yet, just a spruce up so it's habitable for now! The interior will all be coming out soon. At which point everything will be individually washed inside and out to satisfy my clean fetish, from carpets to headlining it's all going to be done. The only thing im not happy about is the front seats, alcantara has gone a bit bobbly on the seat base and the colour has worn away on the bolster slightly, anyone have any suggestions on where to get these restored? Or alternatively the location of some mint phase 1 seats?
Lastly, look at that awful gearknob. Il say no more on that one.

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
As above for the alcantara. For the leather try Colorlock as they can match your colour and provide a kit to refurbish the leather.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Buy a back seat (loads around, because track car) and take that and your damaged seat to a trimmer and get him to use the leather off the back seats. Will come back like new.,

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
thats come up really well considering how bad it looked before. good work. black ph1 are awesome and rare.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Join the club in the hunt for Ph1 seats! I am in two minds about mine. My rears are ok (although I need to fit the seat belt clips to them as I purchased new ones as they had sanpped) but the fronts need new leather parts to them (yours do look in better condition to mine!). I am tempted to put bucket seats in as it will be easier to find but part of me wants to keep it looking original. I've always wanted a car with a roll cage too so a rear cage is on the cards. Good thing is that I don't need to make any decisions about it yet as I am focussing on mechanical work on mine at the moment. Cosmetic jobs like that are next year's problem.

Nice find though and good that it is being restored! Did similar on my E34 with the suspension resfresh and swapped out all new bolts, was on the impression that if it is coming off then brand new is going on, even the little nut covers for the top mounts! A lot of it was genuine BMW parts as the prices were similar, wonder if Renault parts are like that? If you haven't looked but I did find AutoDoc good on prices for parts too, but need to know genuine part numbers and some specs to cross reference. I would like to do all my suspension too on my Ph1 down to the nut and bolt level, will see when I come to it.