ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 - replacement speakers

Finally got the radio code for my new 172, and got to audition the in-car CD/radio. Hmmm.....not that impressive is it?!

What size are the front/rear speakers? 5.25"? Can you fit 6" or bigger? Im thinking of something from the MB Quart range.

Also, how easy is it to get to the tweeters in the dash?

I still have to find out that, but i wont want to give up my remote or the dash display, which means the adaptor is quite expensive and restricts what makes of ICE you can put in it (sony/alpine I think). From previous discussion people seem to think the tweeters are fine? How do you find them???

Yeah you should be able to get the tweeers in the dashboard. Actually I managed to fit a small sub in my dash but I had to remove some of the controls (aircon etc) to fit it in. Worth it though

Err, dont think I want to remove the air-con controls!!

The tweeters/system sounds OK, but its nowt special!! I reckon an MB Quart setup might sort it out.

As for subs, AutoAcoustics do a very nice StealthBox which fits into one side of the boot and takes anything from an 8" to a 12" sub. See http://www.autoacoustics.com/sbn-rc98.htm

I agree about keeping the display/satellite controls - very nifty, although Kenwood do an interface module for such things with their own head units.

the front speakers are 13cm as for the tweeters i have yet to look at them, im pretty sure the rear seat speakers are 13cm too. if you change the headunit, you dont lose the dash display, as soon as you unplug the standard headunit, you lose the radio info, but the gap gets filled with the date instead, everything else works fine! as for the steering controls if you buy any sony unit, the lead is £32.99 from halfords (PC9-112) you can also get them for some alpines, kenwoods, pioneers now aswell, but im cant recall the prices. pop into your local halfords and get them to check for you!

Justin

Autoleads are bringing out a new lead PC9-500 (also heard PC9-501) and its about £80 but apparently you get the radio stuff on the display !!! (how do they do this?)

ICE'dberg MK2 172

JJ172

Pop over to the ICE gallery and see my install.

Alpine head + changer
MB PSC 213 up front
Rocky Fos 5" rear
JL 10w6
Directed 5ch

Used the Alpine remote adapter so steering controls work, but no display sadly(still clock & temp tho). The tweeters went into the dash, However, its a dash job out to plug the adapter in so had the two done at the same time. Cost £20 from local ICE dealer/installer.

If possible try and get the tweeters as close to the mids...in the door if you can as they sound a bit top y in the dash, although the PSCs can be adjusted on the Xover. The only problem with that is getting the cabling through the door if you have the Xovers in the boot , but if you build them in the door no problem.

ICE'dberg MK2 172

Forgot to say that all the speakers fit straight into the original mounts, so apart from the head everything looks original. Unless you look in the boot of course..LOL!

Thanks for the reply! Sounds like a top install What make are MB?? And did you build your own enclosure for the JL sub? I was thinking of using an AutoAcoustics StealthBox...

Where abouts are you? Maybe I could audition your system? My email is jjw@cwcom.net
Thanx!