ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Rolling Road - BMC CDA Test!!!

clio 172 mk2
OK, yesterday I tested my car in a rolling road. I wanted to test the true hp gain (hopefully) with the BMC CDA filter. In the graph below, the blue line corresponds to the car in it standard condition with the original airbox. Red line represents the car with the BMC filter fitted. Two large fans were used for the air supply. Notice the BMC filter position in order to receive the fresh air from the fans.

RESULT... Disappointing 2whp and 3 ft-lbs gained with the BMC CDA filter. PLEASE DO NOT EXPECT MORE!!!

147.34 whp (100% standard)
149.22 whp (with BMC CDA filter)

PS: Picture quality is not the best, in fact they are screenshots of a digital video tape.

Additional info:
Dynojet 248 Mobile Chassis Dyno
SAE corrected
Temp: 24.5ºC
Humidity: 35%
Alt.: 500m
Renault Clio Sport 2003 (late), 18.000 km

dyno04.jpg

dyno01.jpg

dyno02.jpg

DynoIPd.jpg

Not too bad a result, at least it didn`t loose power, can`t really expect alot of power from a filter change but gaining both torque and hp is good and remember they are at the wheel reading too so at the fly it`s gonna be abit highter aswell, good test.

GP2
Dan Page said:
dont they gain more when ur actually driving than when its on the rollers?

They should do as they are getting lots of nice cold air rather than hot air from the engine bay at a stand still.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
surely with it being positioned as it is, it is going to give better gains? bonnet open too? can hardly drive it like that? i think if you positioned it properly and shut the bonnet you could probably say goodbye to your 2bhp.

Gaz2130 said:
surely with it being positioned as it is, it is going to give better gains? bonnet open too? can hardly drive it like that? i think if you positioned it properly and shut the bonnet you could probably say goodbye to your 2bhp.

They usually have a blower at the front of the car when on the rolling road and as said bonnet up so you are not going to do better then that.

It is a good representation of how little a filter gains even an enclosed one.

What does the air fuel ratio show obviously it is leaner but is it to lean? How much would it benefit from being mapped?

Good test.

I noticed recently BenR tested his manifold work with an RR graph. I think it would be a good idea if these posts were kept somewhere eg. an RR graph section also a 1/4 mile times section which detailed car, mods, driver, strip, date etc. would be good. It would be a nice reference point to see what modifcations work and what dont.

Obviously these tests are not 100% accurate but the more data there is to ref the easier it will be to pick up trends.

Should have positioned the filter as it would be under normal driving positions - not a true test IMO

Not too sure what people expect from a filter change.

As previously stated rolling road is not exactly true to road conditions for the obvious reasons. When on the road would expect more cold air.

More me this is a good improvement and lets face it not all down to BHP. When fitted BMC to mine the first thing I noticed was an improved driveability across the rev range.

Bottom line is filter is never gonna be a miracle and double your bhp.

MKIII 138
but surley not losing any power but not gaining any isnt a bad thing ? you have got to reconginse that your 172 will sound a lot nicer and have sweet roar and less EU noise regulated hum, hence why i went with the hillpower system, its not going to gain anything (ok maybe a 2hp on a cool day when driving) but its not going to lose either and the main bonus is that is semi sealed, keeps hot air from being dragged in and yet allow for one side to be open so the noise is miles more aggresive also.

clio 172 mk2
MarkM said:
They usually have a blower at the front of the car when on the rolling road and as said bonnet up so you are not going to do better then that.

Yep, there were 2 large blowers at the front of the car (actually in front of the filter). For sure

Difference in sound?? a lot, very nice roar with the BMC filter.

Do someone have a conclusion from the A/F graph?? I think it's too lean below 4000rpm.

regards,

VaVa
With the bonet down, I bet you've lost 2hp. lol

ou've got the filter sticking up and an out and have the fan pointed at it!!

MKIII 138
j3ned said:
is it worth the hassle for 2hp

the answer is obviously no.

but is it worth it for a loud induction roar to keep you + mates grining and sound more like a proper hothatch/performance engine then maybe yes. but not by purchasing an indcution kit but modyfying the standard airbox.
those who spend £350+ on induction kits are insane.

ive just bought a hillpower for £150 im sure the gains will be no different but the hillpower being semi sealed will sound much better + got two custom feeds going to it.

it may work out better gains in total when driving and with other mods i.e mapping or inlet

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
lagerlout1 said:
With the bonet down, I bet you've lost 2hp. lol

ou've got the filter sticking up and an out and have the fan pointed at it!!

exactly my point!!

172, Tiguan
Its a shame its not been fitted properly for a fair test. Mine feels as if it has more midrange when fitted correctly - and the noise is worth it alone.

clio 172 mk2
The idea was to test the "best case". I'm sure, that with the filter "properly" fitted and the bonnet down, results would be worst. Anyway, the 2 blowers will never simulate the actual driving conditions.

Inductions kits and performance filters brings lot of Psychological horse power...
:-(

clio 172 mk2
^^ The test was standard airbox v/s BMC CDA.

My Conclusion: I can expect at most ~2 whp for just using the BMC filter. That's all!

MKIII 138
Gaz2130 said:
^^ if there is two big fans pointing down the filter and the bonnet is open.

amongst other things.

basically the aim is too not lose power but gain induction noise, this is the way all N/A systems should be viewed on smaller engines like a 2.0 16v.

makes me laugh all the people buying maxogens, BMC etc.. spending hundreds to gain almost nothing and to top it off the units are sealed so there not upto the full sound potencial either lol lol

nah £150 was enough for me max id spend on an induction kit especially when you could make you own for less than £80 and have same results (£40 of that being the actual filter)

172, Tiguan
You'll find though that closed filters often give better gains than the ones shown in this test - whether it be a Viper, BMC or Maxogen. You'll also find that the "open" type filters have been shown to loose power on the Clio because of the lack of cold air space under the bonnet.

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
why do people go on about airfilters so much why not use the money to put towards a worthwhile modification like better brakes,better suspension or modified inlet etc etc etc,and porsannally i prefer the standard engine sound to the row the induction kits make although i have got one

clio 172 mk2
BTW, the absolute value obtained (147.3 whp, 100% standard) is what I should expect for a 172 mk2???

MKIII 138
matty w said:
why do people go on about airfilters so much why not use the money to put towards a worthwhile modification like better brakes,better suspension or modified inlet etc etc etc,and porsannally i prefer the standard engine sound to the row the induction kits make although i have got one

^^^ agree

£300 for ITG with 2hp
or
£300 for a superchip with proven 5hp gains and 12lbft (leeds)

Megane Mk4
I've just bought an closed cold air kit for £46 on ebay!! (including P&P) lol .. result !!
Time for my open air 57i to come off!!! pmsl ... lets see if it makes some difference! ;)

ITG Maxogen is the best IK. You can also put a deposit on a house for that money here in Australia.

I would like to see a test with a bigger exhaust and aftermarket ecu, with and without the filter, I think it would make a bigger difference.

you dont need to have a deposit for a house here if you know how to work the system ;) (and i dont mean 100% mortgage)

People fitting this stuff to a 182 could have saved a few squids and got a 182Cup, and ended up with the same bhp/ton eh? ;)

A Grey Slab (Audi Estate)
The sad thing is that manufactures state these mythical bhp figures to sell there products and in real world terms they do not live up to there claims. Surly something must be done to prevent this false advertising! They should be made to prove the gains with rolling road tests from a selection of the same spec vehicles, with the figures stated as a gain over the standard figure recorded on the same rolling road.

Its with out a doubt a case of buyer beware and dont believe all that your told!