ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 supposed rebuild but now and engine and gearbox replacement.

1987 Corvette C4 4+3
Right the other day I purchased a 2002 Clio 172 ph2 that had had a cambelt failure. The engine had already been removed and the head removed. According to the seller all it needed was a head rebuild and then it could be put back together.

The car was high mileage at 130k but is mint (apart from a small mark on the bonnet) Even the interior is immaculate with no wear at all. It also has had only one previous owner. It was so cheap i couldn't really turn it down

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

Big pile of engine bits

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

Cams were in great condition :S not

IMG_0062.jpg

Head had taken a pounding and a valve guide had smashed the head

IMG_0069.jpg

Gear box was in great condition as well. Yes that is a big pile of teeth you can see.

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

There is a bit of good news. The bottom end has a new water pump and has all been painted so i can sell that.

So time to look out for a gearbox and engine.

1987 Corvette C4 4+3
I was wondering if someone could advise me.

I have my new engine and box arriving in the next few days. Is it easier to fit the gearbox and then engine into the car or bolt the engine and gearbox together and them fit them as one?

Im using a crane so going through the top of the car not underneath

1987 Corvette C4 4+3
Finally got my bare second hand engine and gearbox. After a couple hours I had this made.

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

I dont think 2 hours is to bad seeing as i didnt take the old engine apart or out and all i got was this when i first brought the car

IMG_0065.jpg

I have one part i dont know where it goes. Its a flat thin piece of steel about the size of an A4 piece of paper wit the centre cut out. Does anyone know where this goes?

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
As above, follow the chassis rail to near the subframe and it goes there on either side.

1987 Corvette C4 4+3
When you say there is two do you mean on on the drivers side and one on the passenger side? does it mount near the wheel arch. Cheers for the help

1987 Corvette C4 4+3
I finally got my engine and gearbox in but im having a few problems. The wheels have locking nuts on but the locking wheel key that came with the car is completely different. Are the locking wheel nuts in the picture one that come fitted as standard when the car was new or are they aftermarket?

IMG_0116.jpg

1987 Corvette C4 4+3
They're renault locking bolts. By the age of the car probably the ones it came with.

Are they bespoke to each separate clio? Or are they generic. I dont have the original manual with the car so I cannot find out what my locking wheel nut key code is. I also cannot hammer a socket over them as they are protected by a sheath around the outside. Can anyone think of a way to get these removed? as i cannot fit my drive shafts until I remove them.

Another problem I have is that whoever removed the engine pulled the wires from the cps plug I can put it back together fine but i have no idea where they go. I have a light brown and white wire but which wire goes where?