ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 - Turd Polishing Thread!

MX5, A4 Avant
Hi all,
As I've alluded to elsewhere on the forum I've purchased a 172, mk2 ph2 to be exact.

I'll post up the eBay photographs!
%2524_57.jpg

%2524_57%2520%25282%2529.jpg

$_57.jpg

Now the guy I bought it from was a solid sort of fella, he looked like he'd stand his round and was more than happy for me to prod and poke away at the car, I looked at the little Clio and thought "oh, what the hell!" One bidding session later and a couple of hours I headed down to collect the car.

The car needs a bit of love, it's not a bad car by any stretch of the imagination but it does need some love, now this is one thing I'm used to currently owning a 26 year old MX5 and have a history of many and varied car projects. I worked for a while in the motortrade and am happy to spanner weild when required, however this time I'm planning to pass on anything but cursory spanner-chucking to my brother-in-law, he's got a two-poster and a roller cab after all.
As it stands I need to attend to the following, in order of urgency;

- ABS kicks in constantly during service braking, I'm almost certain this is a broken recluctor ring.
- The headlamps need restoring as they've gone pretty manky!
- There is a "tick-tick-tick" coming from what I think is the CD player on start up.
- The bump strip needs refinishing, I'm hoping they're easy to remove on these!
- The wheel need refinishing!
- There is a minor electrical issue, the fog-lamp tell-tale glows dimly occasionally.

Watch this space!

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
All are reletivly(sp) easy fixes and should leave you with a tidy car :)

I'm hoping to pick up something similar and do the same, once I've sold my impreza

MX5, A4 Avant
I see I'm not the only member in Bedfordshire then!
%2524_57%2520%25285%2529.jpg

This was the latest invoice (with card ticket) for work carried out in December 2014....

2014 Clio 200t edc
It looks really nice in the pics. As said relatively easy/cheap fixes.
I echo giving the garage a call, looks to have had lots of money spent anyway. Especially with new brakes front and rear

2014 Clio 200t edc
I joke. I keep saying I'll do mine and one day, one year I probably will. The difference they make when polished is unreal! Well done on them.

MX5, A4 Avant
Spent a bit more time fiddling with it today (as well as saying a goodbye to my dear old MX5 :( )

Not a lot of pictures but I've got some ABS rings to go on, I found the screw for the centre cap;
IMG_0810.jpg

I love this little car, it's not the fastest/best handling/slidey/most comfortable/lightest/heaviest but bloody hell it's a good compromise!

MX5, A4 Avant
Well for the second time the MX5 has had a stay of execution and is still sitting on the driveway....Don't ask!

Things I've found now I've driven it a bit more;

a) A/C Doesn't work
b) Desperately needs a "dogbone"
c) Event tyres are rubbish!

MX5, A4 Avant
So, it's been quite a while, been rather tied up with other things. The Clio went straight through an MOT at the start of April and has covered about fifteen miles since.

Yesterday afternoon though, I decided enough was enough, it was time to at least show the car a touch of respect!
Firstly, I took the rear wiper arm off, then couldn't make my mind up which I preferred, and still can't.
WP_20150515_001.jpg

WP_20150515_002.jpg

I've also tried a light smoke tint (have yards of the stuff knocking about) just as a trial (not a great fitting) again I'm not sure about this yet, I've taken this off now.
WP_20150515_004.jpg

WP_20150515_007.jpg

The bump strip needed removal and a touch of love to bring it back to scratch (if you can forgive the awful pun) after I finally worked out how to remove it, I set to work rubbing it down and priming it.
%2524_57%2B%25284%2529.jpg

WP_20150515_006.jpg

This has been a great source of irritation since I've owned the car, it was finally time to act (also, rather serendipitously the young lad from up the road dropped round a copy of a the local rag as if on cue)
WP_20150515_008.jpg

WP_20150515_009.jpg

More to follow later!