ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 172 vs 172 cup prices???

182 inside
Excuse me for being out of place, if needing correction.

I'm in the market for a clio 172 or cup. 2002 onwards but the prices for 172's with all the gadgets etc are almost £1000 cheaper than the cup which has a cloth interior and hardly any frills.

I know the cup is a track based car but come on, it was cheaper than the standard 172 from new.

What is going on?

Are you sure your not confusing ph1 172's and ph 2 172's. A 172 Cup can be had for less than a ph2 172 surely. But ph 1 (pre face lift) 172's are cheapest of all.

Cups are becoming an endangered species though. And are the best ;)

Cup if your doing track days - its the only place it will have any real 'edge' over the standard 172.

As long as you can live without the toys of course.

2003 Clio 172
This is probably a little bit cheeky :nono: but if you're interested I'm selling my beloved 2003 172 (not Cup) at the moment. It's only got just over 26k miles on the clock, metallic black, around £6.8k. It's on the pistonheads website for pics etc if you want a closer look.

Just a thought....and apologies if this isn't the done thing

Golf GTI PP Mk7
cup spoiler, turinis, exclusive colour (mondial blue), splitter, harder sus, all these things make it in realisty a more desireable car. plus there are fewer and fewer of them about. FF172's are pretty common, hence they depriciate more.

Burgandy 174 sport t
the cup is actually the most common if u include colour even then its not far off even with 2400 cups made and 3000 FF made all different colours though. Bar the colur of the cup all other parts can be added or thrown away fom a ff to get the cup effect!!

Octavia VRS
When I was looking at 172s the majority of Cups were cheaper than FF 172s, even Cups with very low miles.

Polo GTi
All the decent Cups are more expensive, there are a lot of shitty cups about, I have seen most of them in the last few weeks I reckon, these are cheap priced to sell, decent cup and decent FF my money would be on the Cup.

While im on the subject, why does renault have steering wheels that are made from chocolate, almost All the 172s I have looked at, the steering wheels looked like a melted welly, not bad if your that bloke from Robocop

robocop-emil-2.jpg

Megane Trophy, Golf
the cup is actually the most common if u include colour even then its not far off even with 2400 cups made and 3000 FF made all different colours though. Bar the colur of the cup all other parts can be added or thrown away fom a ff to get the cup effect!!

Not true! The cup has uprated subframe and bench tested engine! Edde dont even start. :rasp:

Golf GTI PP Mk7
most normal buyers dont want to buy a car and then change the spoiler/wheels etc anyway. Cups looks more agressive (better) too, which to the average buyer, is a good thing, hence the higher price. 172FF looks more like a standard clio (at a glance, to the untrained eye) imo.

Cup 172
most normal buyers dont want to buy a car and then change the spoiler/wheels etc anyway. Cups looks more agressive (better) too, which to the average buyer, is a good thing, hence the higher price. 172FF looks more like a standard clio (at a glance, to the untrained eye) imo.

Plus FFs look suspiciously like 1.2s unless you know what you are looking for...

Im sure the alloys are the same as the non sport models????

Cup 172
What a stupid idea...

Hoestly, before I started looking at Clios I couldnt spot an FF without looking twice, wheras a cup always stood out...

I think your forgetting all the crashed Cups ;)

Burgandy 174 sport t
I fail to see what makes a cup look more aggressive or does the horn go RRRRAAAAAAAAR!!! instead of beep beep? Uprated subframe lol thats the best one I heard yet, I really hope u are takin the piss. And yeah I forgot about all the crashed ones lol!!!

2003 Clio 172
Obviously it's all down to personal choice, but I had a bit of a dilema over the Cup vs Std 172 when I bought mine a couple of yrs ago. For me it just boiled down to the fact that you have to drive the car everyday over our "Great" British road network....hence I'm grateful for the creature comforts and the slightly softer suspension (still find the normal 172 rattles your fillings out on some roads).

Agree that the Cup looks slightly more agreesive but I thought the effort that they made on the interior was woeful IMO

ST
I fail to see what makes a cup look more aggressive or does the horn go RRRRAAAAAAAAR!!! instead of beep beep? Uprated subframe lol thats the best one I heard yet, I really hope u are takin the piss. And yeah I forgot about all the crashed ones lol!!!

You crack me up sir!! lol

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
reselling a 172cup is shite.. people want more for their money when buying second hand. That is unless the some one (minority) is looking for the cup specifically. New, the cup was cheaper but now the FFs are becoming more so and in my opinon it hurts cup owners to sell at such a low price.

IMO Think prices of cups are going to crash like mad soon (literally too :p). If you want creature comforts but cup ability all you have to do is. get FF, + coils + throw back wheel out + get on a treadmil to loose fat. Walla. alot cheaper than an extra 2k

Burgandy 174 sport t
000_0005.jpg

Aint the cups meant to be 3.00340506mm lower too? IMO thte evil glow of the mean old xenons there make a ff look more aggreassive!!!

Golf GTI PP Mk7
The cup is supposed to be lower yes, but i swear all the FF's looks lower than my cup. The cup is a serious b-road weapon tho.

2003 Clio 172
I made the annual pilgrimage to Le Mans in my FF 172 this year. I think the Cup driver I pulled up next to at the lights would have backed the arguament for the FF 172 in the 35 degree temperature down there.....it was a bit parky in my car with all that uneccessary air con.

Focus ST3
You can get cups with climate control for the lemans trips, or any other place where betty swollocks might be an issue.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Cups are cheaper than FF's, just look in the 'For Sale' section for proof of that. You don't see many FF's for sale for £4950 let alone the £5500 another one is up for.

FF is a better buy as there will be a wider audience interested rather than more dedicated enthusiasts.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Thats on here though chap, people always undersell on forums. Look on the trader and it pretty even tbh

Golf GTI PP Mk7
with the amount of them i see on ebay being broken, and pics on here of them smashed up, id say 1. mine.

BMW M3
Fair play the cup is a super car, but you dont pay more for it over a FF year for year and miles model. You are shooting yourself in the foot. You don't get zenons, decent interior, climate control, and so on.

I have rarely seen one proced more. They are booked priced less and when you come to sell it you will no doubtedly get less so dont pay more for less!!!

And unless you are 20 stone lighter than the fat bast in the FF you wont go any faster.

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Have been noticing this as-well, the CUP is more rare and is a very cool car!

Burgandy 174 sport t
its only rarer because every c**t keeps crashing them.

2300 cups in one colour as appose to the most common ff colour of silver 1300???

rarer?