ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 - What to do

Hi guys, just got a mk2 Clio 172! Thought I would join here and seek your advice on modding it. Basically I want to know what mods I could do that give lots of bang per buck, I want to get as much extra bhp for as little money (lol dont we all) as poss, what would you guys suggest first, I was thinking the classic, de-cat, induction kit and chip? What you reckon and whats the best ones to go for? and what bhp would I be looking at :D. Thanks for any help/ideas/opinions.

WestWood

Renault Laguna Coupe

welcome to the forum mate :)

Less is more.

Strip out the interior first, -5% kerb weight, cost: £0

Then you can do zorst / induction / chip, +15bhp if youre lucky: £1,000

chuck all that away and then...

throttle bodies, +40bhp: £5,000

Its a costly business getting over 190bhp.

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member

Tim is that really you? Man your so street...
How about port and polished head?
Better suspension .. wont make you faster but it will handle better round the twisties and make the car look better.
Peace out my brover!

Thanks guys, that seems to be the way foreward, out of intrest what can I strip out of the car that would reduce the weight by that much? I want to get wheels and better suspension too but would quite like to go faster first :D

Thanks, WestWood

Renault Laguna Coupe

Its pretty easy to save 50kg by stripping the interior. The spare wheel and toolkit weigh tons.

My best-ever go faster mod has been Eibach springs - they really make a difference and you can buy them and get them fitted and still have change out of £200. And, as Iain says, they improve the look of the car too.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 20 October 2003

Its pretty easy to save 50kg by stripping the interior. The spare wheel and toolkit weigh tons.
You actually ever weighed that lot?!

When I stripped mine out I weighed all the bits... not as heavy as you think!

Bang per buck? Decat pipe! Between £15 and £100 depending on how you go about it and it, erm....makes the car quicker! Ive got before and after 1/4 mile times with and without decat pipe:

Before: 15.195 @91mph

After: 14.673 @93mph

Doesnt really feel it, but it makes quite a difference. Combine it with an exhaust system for maximum effect.