ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Williams Cup...?

Just a thought..if someone actually worked at Williams and had a Cup, anyone reckon it'd be fun/interesting/unusual/different to create your own 'Clio 172 Williams cup'?

i mean sure there wouldnt be much performance wise that cud be done to ensure it appeared 'stock' but having the wheels gold and perhaps Williams having a lil input on suspension jus to add some authenticity to it then having some bespoke badges made up, lil embroidery perhaps n possibly having a plaque made up using one of the FW's chassis plates or something would be quite cool i reckon.

Or is it an idea that the hardcore Williams enthusiasts, or indeed any of you, critisise to high heaven? :)

something to do? lol

Never really knew what williams input was on the originals, but guessed might have just been Renault making th emost of their renault/williams F1 colaboration. Hence thinking some williams input might add some genuine authenticity to a bespoke model.

Cud easily end up tacky mind you :)

Saxo VTS
No offence dude, but if you went and sprayed your wheels gold, printed off some Williams logos you made in Paint and put them on your car, it'd probably have about the same authenticity as if Williams did it.

Williams had no input into the Clio Williams. The suspension etc was all Renault.

Pretty sure the Williams 'part' was to celebrate the Renault/Williams winnings...I think.

Wasn't the limited run of Williams 1's something to do with rally Homologation rules?

FincH said:
Pretty sure the Williams 'part' was to celebrate the Renault/Williams winnings...I think.

Wasn't the limited run of Williams 1's something to do with rally Homologation rules?
Yep Williams was just the name they used to celebrate the rac winning. The early ones were built to forfill the requirment to homologenalise the car for racing.

There only one true Clio Williams IMo the Mk2 just cannot do quite the same thing.

lol im sensing some negativity :p well sounded good in my head (prob wud have sounded better out loud too if id known of the williams history)

dont think ill pursue that idea then :)

Sounds to me (no disrespect to wiliams 2,3 owners) that the '1' is the proper 'hardcore' version so to speak i.e. its reason for existance is not just for promotional and sales reasons? as said for homologenation reasons, not unlike the cup?

guess i thought they played a larger part in it, like the 6R4. I Have come accross a road v6 laguna from the williams touring car era before which they'd 'played with' and 'plaqued'.

srt40 said:
Sounds to me (no disrespect to wiliams 2,3 owners) that the '1' is the proper 'hardcore' version so to speak i.e. its reason for existance is not just for promotional and sales reasons? as said for homologenation reasons, not unlike the cup?
The 1 and the two are adential cars though realy the 3 has ABS which is different and a snroof but there all the same engine etc.

Saxo VTS
edde said:
The 1 and the two are adential cars though realy the 3 has ABS which is different and a snroof but there all the same engine etc.

Williams 1 has no sunroof and no front speakers.

Afaik the Williams 2 has both :)

Civic Si
think you'll find your wrong as i have a willy 2 and no sunroof!! :rasp:

willy 1 owners were only peeved off because they thought they were buying into something exclusive by buying the willy 1 not knowing renault were gonna be making the 2's and 3's.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Most of the suspension came from one of the best Renault hot hatches didn't it, the one that was superior to the valver? :p

Williams 2 also had slightly different tail lights by that time. My old man was a head member of Just Williams, the group who were pissed at Renault.

The Williams 2 didn't have sunroofs only the 3's.
What I was pertaining to was that the 3 series of cars are almost the same same shells engine gearbox suspension etc little trim things IMo don't have any brearing on the car driving experiance realy.

172 Exclusive... For Sale
Did any of the Williams have power-steering?

Oh and a 1*2 Williams is/was not part of the marketing agenda for Renault anymore, RenaultSport is the new name for that branch ;)

Nomad said:
Did any of the Williams have power-steering?

Oh and a 1*2 Williams is/was not part of the marketing agenda for Renault anymore, RenaultSport is the new name for that branch ;)
Renault Sport yep is the nw name however Williams will be synonomious with Renault winning of the F1 and there name being used on the Clio C57M.

All Willaims have power stearing.

Nomad said:

Yes i guess the williams/renault link is edging into retro territory now. having said that, although they use 'renaultsport' as their sports brand in the case of the megane theyre still using their F1 ties to 'spec up', promote and sell cars. Wonder if like me with the williams tie in people belive that Renault F1 actually had a part to play in the megane?

Anyway scrubing what i said before, seems like all williams are as good as each other? unless u own one in which case the one you own is the best one! lol :)

mk1 172
srt40 said:
lol im sensing some negativity :p well sounded good in my head (prob wud have sounded better out loud too if id known of the williams history)

dont think ill pursue that idea then :)

guess i thought they played a larger part in it, like the 6R4. I Have come accross a road v6 laguna from the williams touring car era before which they'd 'played with' and 'plaqued'.

I always thought the cup was just made as a stripped out version

To the best of my knowledge the cup has nothing to do with forfilling any critera other than making renault money!

172 Exclusive... For Sale
Dave_W said:
I always thought the cup was just made as a stripped out version

To the best of my knowledge the cup has nothing to do with forfilling any critera other than making renault money!

It was a couple a grand cheaper though! Surely all the needless add-ons didn't amount to that much? Although i would've preferred it more stripped out...