ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182: 98 RON or 95 RON?

Probably been discussed before in which case apologies. :boring:

Does 98 RON fuel make a noticable difference to performance? There is a recommendation sticker for 98 RON in the inside of the fuel cap but I never bring myself to shell out the extra for the better fuel cos its already costing me a fortune. Some people swear by Optimax but is it any different from BP Ultimate etc.?

A mechanic mate of mine always says that higher octane fuel makes no real difference except with a performance engines which are tuned differently (by which he means Ferraris and stuff).

Any thoughts?

Ford Fiesta
Optimax from new also. Even got dealer to put in before I took delivery of car. Only ever missed one fill up with optimax and even then used £10 worth of BP ultimate to get me to a shell station.
:)

Turbo Beige
How can 182 not be a 'performance engine' with 180bhp from 2.0 litres?

Not using 98ron could lead to pinking and a very short engine life!

Turbo Beige
The ron level refers to a fuels burning rate and combustion temperature, if your start to use 95 it will may begin to burn sooner and for longer than is required (pinking). This then cause the heat to build within the combustion chamber and eventually will cause nice shiny holes to appear in pistons.

BP Ultimate is 97 RON and I think Tesco Super is as well, so if I was to stick strictly to 98 RON I would need Optimax, nearest service station: 20 miles in both directions!

I've always used Ultimate so can't say if there is a noticeable difference between that and 95 stuff.

Assuming the engine is fitted with a knock sensor (99% are) the ecu should adjust the timing to take account of whatever fuel you throw in.

It'll probably run slightly better/more efficiently with ultimate or optimax, but standard fuel shouldn't hurt it. In which case it really just depends on your view of whether you want to shell out for the extra for the extra performance!

Turbo Beige
Knock sensors can only account for so much and shouldn't be used as a long term excuse, if a manufacturer recomends 98ron and you run an engine on 95 then its your own fault if there is a problem (would take about 5 mins to find out what fuel you have been running once an engine has been opened up).

Also, the published fuel reports show that although fuel such as Tesco 99ron leaves the refinery at that level, fuel deteriorates over time and will probably only reach the pumps at 97. All fuels are the same, exept Optimax which tends to reach the pumps every month at 98ron.

106 GTi
Optimax diet from new in mine. 95 wont harm it but you wont get the best out of the car according to Renault.

Ford Fiesta
shell state that their optimax is 98 RON at the pumps, and have done tests to confrim this.

cock mobile.
I thought that all figures were given from the refinery??

Who supplies the fuel to Tesco?

Optimax will be superceeded very soon with V-Power. So bye bye optimax, even though I stopped using it when it went 93.9 per litre and started using sainsbury's super unleaded.

Tesla MP3 2021
optimax for me too.had a couple of litres with normal when the prices went up abit last month but now back to the good stuff.

Titanium Clio 182
I have used 95 since i bought it, i only treat the car to 98RON every once in a while.

A4 Avant & A3
been on the Super unleaded since having mine (172).. that always seems to be 97ron, not tried this optimax as it's a little far away for me. might treat the old bird at some point.

I`ve always used optimax apartfrom the odd £5`s worth of what ever is available if i get caught out and can`t find a shell garage.

What about oil though, surely it`s worse to use crap oil than the proper ELF rated stuff that it says in the hand book, i asked at reg vardy when i had my service what they would have put in if i hadn`t had brought my own in and the mechanic basicly said "what ever is in the drum, all the cars use that".!!

172 cup'd extreme
i get a knock sensor error and serv light when i run on optimax after a few weeks but none on plain jane 95 no lights but worse mpg

Don't forget that the engine (the same basic unit is also fitted in other renault ranges albeit in different states of tune etc) had to be designed to run on a wide variety of fuel grades throughout Europe/Rest of the World.

As such its highly unlikely that it won't operate perfectly well on anything from 88RON upwards! The beauty of modern engines using ECU engine mapping is that they are able to adjust timing etc to effectively take account of fuel quality (OK I know its not quite that simple, but *effectively* thats what happens).

Undoubtedly, the engine will perform better and you'll get better mpg using optimax or Ultimate/Super...and under test-bench conditions the engine will last longer (albeit in reality the rest of the car will probably fall apart and be scrapped before an engine run on 95RON fails anyway), but overall its a simple choice about whether you are willing to spend the little bit extra to get the extra performance!