ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 - Aux Belt fallen off while driving

Renault Clio 182
Hi all,

I was driving yesterday when I heard a strange noise coming from the engine, sounded like a rough bearing and squeaky belt. I pulled over into the nearest lay-by checked under the bonnet and saw nothing untoward. Decided to turn around and take the car back. Car engine seemed fine and no loss of performance. I approached the round about 100m down the road and went to turn when I loss complete power steering! I managed to get off the round about and pull over on the slip road where I notices the aux belt had come off, also coolant was leaking from the drivers side which drained competently until empty. At first I thought the belt had snapped but managed to pull it out in one piece and it didn't look in to bad condition.

Any ideas what might have caused this?

Thanks

Matt

Renault Clio 182
@hipwell @JamesBryan

Thanks for your comments.

Do you reckon this would have done any harmful damage to the engine?

I had the car booked in to have the complete lot done inc aux belt, cam belt, water pump, dephaser, tensioners etc on Thursday this week but unfortunately it didn't quite make it!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
No it should be fine as long as the cambelt is still intact.

Sounds like you got it stopped pretty quickly anyway.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Sounds like you got away with it. It can get tangled in to the cambelt very easily and that would ruin the engine. Get a new waterpump ordered. If you are handy with spanners then its possible to do the aux belt and waterpump on your drive way in an afternoon.

Get a jubilee clip too - 75mm or bigger to go around the tensioner, although good to replace the tensioner too. have a search on here for aux belt replacement or alternator replacement and there should be a guide.