ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182,Civic type R or Seat leon Cupra R

Ph1
If you want something that your gonna tune the b*lls off later on i'd go the Seat.

If not go 182. You'll save yourself cash plus there's far too many bread vans out there as it is !! lol

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
all brand new? or used fella?

If i could afford the extra cash i would probably go for the leon.

Well for me it would be between the Clio and Type R, I love the exterior of the Type R but not keen on inside, where as the Clio I love all round. I think the best thing to do is take them all for a test drive and then you should be
able to decide :)

Ad

MK2 FRS
Ive had an LCR it is far nicer car than the Type R. If it was a straight choice then it would be LCR. If you need to consider running cost then the other two will be significantly more expensive to run, hence why I sold the LCR,dont be fooled by the figures, they are very heavy on petrol as is the CTR.

The 182 does have a certain fun factor that the others dont, its significantley more nimble and has much more of a connection with the road feel than either the other two, but i wont pretend, I would swap the 182 for the LCR if running cost wasnt an issue.

ff 182
Am gonna test drive them all next week im stuck between the seat and the civic.

I f i get the seat i will tune it.

second hand got about £13500

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z
I hate the looks of the civic tbh....if i bought one i'd have to change the skirts and the front bumper and my bodykit days are long gone, cant be bothered with that so go with the 182; looks better, goes faster and much cheaper ;)

Audi Q7, Avalanche
my brother had a leon cupra r for a while and i loved it, held the road really well and to be honest it felt rapid!! not sure about the type r myself as having to keep the revs up so high to get the potential out of it would become a little tiresome. 182? never had one so cant comment but my 172 cup is a barrel of laughs and loads of fun for half the amount you wana spend! just invest in some rainsport tyres for the winter wet season!!

ford racing puma
Dont bother with the Type R. I had one for 2 months, fun at first but soon got bored. Good gearbox and the gorgeous engine sound on full revs and good seating position though.
LCR for smooth power and comfort and 270 bhp if you pay a visit to Revo or Jabbasport.

Lee

BMW M2C
It all comes down to what you want from a car.

I'm on my third RenaultSport Clio so I'm biased, but I found the Civic just a bit too clinical, amazing car to drive, certainly quick, excellent clutch and gearbox, but just a bit soul less, and the Vtec rush soon becomes tiresome. The Leon is too lardy in standard trim compared to the Clio and Civic, but of course for very little money you can extract more power with a chip, and suspension can always be changed. Personally I don't like messing with my cars, so I went with the Clio (again) seeing as it full fills all of my requirements. Yours might be different of course.

I think depends how you like to drive. The Seat is good motorway cruiser and easy to drive quick. The 182 and CTR are more involving and more fun, but also have to drive hard to get the best out of them.

182cup/D40/Hornet
Test drove all three....
Civic...Got to be honest wanted to like it but didn't,Gearstick in un-familiar place,felt huge inside,have to be thrashing the tits off it to get any excitment
Leon.....Cracking car if I didn't have a 'four door family car' I personally would have paid the extra and bought one of these.
Clio....What can I say for the money imo you can't go faster for less,build quality not too clever but for the money I can't complain,cracking handling and engine.
Depends on your circumstances.

Lucky enough to own both of these together, therefore I can make a pretty good summary of both!

The SEAT is has REVO and produces 300 torque, 270 BHP. This costs 500 notes and transforms the car from fast to rapid. As someone else has said, it really is easy to drive fast, effortless with little gear change required to make rapid progress. I would be in 5th gear in the SEAT, 3rd in the 182. It is built well, big boot and 5 doors - good for the family. Fuel economy is pretty good I think - I can manage 38MPG on a run, 31MPG since I have had the car. The 182 is marginally better on a run, but not much. I suppose it is a 2l compared to a 1.8. The 182 has a better gear shift, feels sharper and has a normally aspirated response - better for adjustability on corners. If you like reving the car it is also better than the SEAT. The 182 is not faster round the corners, or certainly not at my driving ability, probably feels more nervous than the SEAT. The quality of the car is not quite the standard of the SEAT, but I have no rattles and it feels fairly well put together and it does have a good spec e.g. xenons etc.

Which one though.....

Love both though for different reasons, however,

the SEAT because it is a better all round car and much faster most of the time (with REVO). It is less chav than the 182 and will also hold value better I expect.

Ad

MK2 FRS
For me i found the fuel cost was significantly different with between the LCR and 182
£50 LCR would get 300 or less
£40 182 £340+

I not sure about value retention either:
The LCR ona 04 forecorts for 13k (18.5k new)
The 182 on an 04 will forecout for 9.5k (14.5k new)

Not the greatest difference and easier to get disc on 182

Gary G said:
so go with the 182; looks better, goes faster and much cheaper ;)

The 182 is, if anything, slower than the CTR, but there's hardly anything in it.

Looks better is your opinion, however it is a lot cheaper which is why it all depends on your budget :D

ITR UKDC2
Mate this is nearlly the same problem i had a couple of months back when it came to changing my clio
well before my LCR i had a 172 MK2 and i must say the turbo on the CUPRA is very good fun and a new thing for me.

i didnt go for the CUP 172 as when i drove both i wanted the toys more then the racing performance on the CUP.

below is a pic of my old car with lozza's

DSC01744.jpg

you cant really compare the 182 and the LCR in the sense that they are total different classes. Even though they class the LCR a hot hatch its MASSIVE! The 172 was a lot of fun and I found my self thrashing it as it was almost like a little go cart, but with the LCR I feel in a way a little more grown up and seem to find myself taking it nice and easy as its so smooth to drive LOL but always knowing that under my right foot the turbo awaits and pulls like a B**** in any gear 1 to 6 heehee.

as for the civic…………..i just had to have a go in it to see what all the rage was about after 2 of my friends bought them. I found the seating position was not for me and the level of comfort and toys was next to nil. I also found myself reving the absolute nut out of it to get any real performance from it. What I will give the civic is the hardy engines. They can scream all day and no brake.

The other main attraction to the LCR is that there are not many about! CIVIC's are 10 a penny around london.

Basically what I have gathered after owning both 172 and LCR is that I would defiantly say to anyone they must own a CLIO SPORT at some point in their lives as they are soooo much fun. Once you find yourself getting tired of it move to something more refined with a different drive better quality build etc.... if thats your thing

So I would say for you smoothed clio go for the clio sport as they are going for silly money now and im sure you will have a lot of fun

P.S. dont be scared of service cost on the Leon. just did my 15k serivce £215 at SEAT with 10% through SEATcupra.net thou rubber is a little more the clio tires.....Goodyear F1 are about £100 each

some of the guys on SEATCUPRA.net have got silly BHP (320) out of their LCR

this ones my fav! The guy has a great web site too for Leons(http://www.20v-turbo.co.uk/project4.html)
TOP BLOKE
this one is pushing 293BHP and 296lbft
gall21.gif

heres a couple of pics that might help you mate make your mind

my old clio
Pic1.jpg

pic4.gif

my new Seat Leon Cupra R
CopyofDSC01011.jpg

DSC00904.jpg

DSC00870.jpg

inside.jpg

Below is a pic of the civic i was looking at when i went for my test drive.
Image153.gif

Image154.gif

Image155.gif

Another car i tried was my mates ITR seen here in the pic.

FANTASTIC car but too hardcore for me............you should try it anyway you might like it
Image151.jpg

HOPE THIS ALL HELPS!

Last edited:
  MKIII 138
list so far seems to be

1st leon
2nd clio
3rd civic

with the clio been chosen for the people who care about fuel but dont have family
and the leon for a family guy/gal with a need for space
you could argue the 182 is joint first

ITR UKDC2
lol im not THAT! bothered about fuel.....................well not all the time and i dont have any kids!............but i do have a big golf bag lol

Clio 182
Zorba_the_greek said:
lol im not THAT! bothered about fuel.....................well not all the time and i dont have any kids!............but i do have a big golf bag lol

LOL see if reneat will build you a Clieon !!

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Civic Type R without a doubt in my opinion.

Remember this is a Clio forum, and as great as the 182 is, Everyones going to be Biased arent they? ;)

Leon gets my vote!! The Civic is ugly imo. The clio is a great car but the Leon takes the honours as far as im concerned, if you can afford it go for it.

Honda Civic Type R
You want CTR or a Clio 182, Leon is too bland on the interior and the back looks like a standard Leon. Drive a CTR myself handles brilliantly

Ad

MK2 FRS
smoothed clio said:
i dont have kids dont play golf and not fussed on the fuel just want a good car and a quick 1

Leon all the way then...... Really is no competition in my book.

LCR is also the most rare. CTRs are more common than 182/172s.

Clio 182
Around here (Luton) I see loads more CTR's, LCR's then 182's. Cooper s's must be free with Ariel washing powder there everywhere !! I keep reading that the market's flooded with 182's. Not round here.