ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 struggling to turn over??

Clio 182
Hi, where do i start??

Yesterday i was driving to work at 70mph in the ouside lane when some idiot came flying up behind flashing headlights........ I put my foot down up to around 85ish and moved into the middle lane... As i did this the engine coughed and then struggled to recover all the way to work. After stopping the engine wouldnt idle without the revs rising and falling a little like a misfire?. Anywy i left it and after work climbed back inside hoping it was just a cold morning fuel problem.... It wasn't!! The engine was fine for about 3 miles before it started again so I pulled over and called the AA.

The guy done a few checks and after checking the fuel system,injectors etc said he was 99% sure it was the coil. Today I have rushed around and put a shiny new one and nothing! Its still there!
Plugs and leads appear fine and when cold everything is fine, however as soon as it gets hot the revs fall and the engine appears to be struggling to turn over?? I also noticed after leaving it struggling for a bout 15 minuites there seems to be a squeel from the aux/cam belt end of the engine.

Tomorrow i plan to remove the Aux belt just to establish if this squeel may be coming from a pump or pulley? All the pulleys appear to be turning freely however i cant really see if there partially seized or really hard to turn...Would this make the engine struggle?? or would the belt just smoke on the pulley/pump?

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Check the leads mate.

If the aux belt is squeeling the alternator may be nackered

Clio 182
Thanks...

After checking everything twice i found a fault with the TDC sensor....

Looks like it was giving an intermitent fault once hot. Quick change for a new one and the fault was gone.
Squeeling was down to me be being a numpty, air leak in manifold in between changing plugs!