ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 182 turbo or pulsar gti-r??

clio 182
hi,

ive got a high spec 182 turbo running 241 bhp but now that ive had all the work done il enjoy it for abit but already want something faster, and preferably 4x4. dont want scooby or evo tho. i just want something that is already turbo ready for easier tunning options. the litle clio is rapid but im limited now for more power and it will struggle to put it down anyway.

ive bren thinking about the gti-r pulsar. and from what ive seen you can get a well speced one for £4000/£4500.

just after views and advice realy as im in no hurry.

cheers

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Love pulsars but they are very old now. I wouldnt dream of owning one.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Theres a nice pulsar next door but one to me. Love them, wouldnt have one though.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If you dont have a limited slip diff in yours then you can certainly improve it a LOT by fitting one.

That said, it still wont get off the line like a pulsar does, those things just hook up and feck off.

Gearbox is utter rubbish on both.

Clio will be cheaper to run, pulsar will ultimately be more capable.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Theres a nice pulsar next door but one to me. Love them, wouldnt have one though.

They are horrid to work on, the engine and box doesnt come out very easily and it has to happen far too often, lol.

Actually, thats a bit like a clio too.

clio 182
havnt got LSD, dont realy want to spend anymore money. i agree ther old and ive never driven 1 but the 2.0T 4X4 sounds fun and they seem to tune easily, plus i could buy one with ££££ spent on it for around £4000+.

the age issue does concern me though

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
havnt got LSD, dont realy want to spend anymore money. i agree ther old and ive never driven 1 but the 2.0T 4X4 sounds fun and they seem to tune easily, plus i could buy one with ££££ spent on it for around £4000+.

the age issue does concern me though

Pretty much all of them are coming to the end of their time. Spares arent readilty available like they used to be. Basically you're about 13 years too late..lol

Stick with the 182 and get a diff in there. Its the last piece of the puzzle imo.

clio 182
i had the 182 at kirkbride 1/4 mile this saturday and it was strugling due to grip, its not made for straightlines tho. rapid when rolling on open road and pulls like mad but want something with more potential.

i had the 182 at kirkbride 1/4 mile this saturday and it was strugling due to grip, its not made for straightlines tho. rapid when rolling on open road and pulls like mad but want something with more potential.

It has more potential!

Admittedly you will need to spend some more pennies :p

Diff and forged internals - 300bhp is yours for the taking! (That's my plan)

clio 182
how much can i get a diff for and whats the fitting costs? will it need mapped again aswell?

something i noticed when i was at the airfield the otherday is when the cars ticking over my dumpvalve is open? someone said i would be loosing pressure? should it be open? if not can you get uprated springs for them? it did seem abit hesitant down the 1/4.

182 FF
Worship pulsars had two but they really are too old now...don't handle without work either. Personally would go for an EVO 5, same raw power delivery but better handling out the box. Maybe have to pay a bit more but you would end up with a better car from the off. Running costs/maitenence are going to be negligble between the two

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
thing with this is the gearbox and clutch will be a new issue aswell

What the pulsar?

Can you live with a 90's interior? Bottom end going? Eating clutches and take out a 4x4 gearbox? As chip says theyre a nightmare to work on. Being jap they also rust...bad!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Pulsars hook up like nothing else, if you want to feel a car properly LAUNCH they are pretty much the ultimate.

But every few times you do it, you need another gearbox, lol, and they are hard to find now and a pig to change.

So then you have to start babying it off the line to keep it in one piece, in which case whats the point of it being 4wd?

The pistons arent great as standard, so you will still need a forged build, and spare blocks and heads etc are far more readily available for the clio.

I wouldnt swap my clio for one TBH, even though I really do love them, especially the "I dont care if im fecking ugly im built for a purpose" looks.

clio 182
probably gona stick with the clio. probably look for a diff. like i said eatlier tho it seemed abit hesitant down the 1/4 could i be loosing pressure through the dump valve being open or is it ment to be?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
probably gona stick with the clio. probably look for a diff. like i said eatlier tho it seemed abit hesitant down the 1/4 could i be loosing pressure through the dump valve being open or is it ment to be?

When the throttle is open the dump valve should be shut.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Turbo charged and 4wd? S3 or S4 it is.

Pulsar is about a quarter tonne lighter than the S3 and a proper 4wd system, you can really tell the difference driving them, S3 is a pleasant enough car but not got anything like that raw feeling of the pulsar.

S4 Avant
Pulsar is about a quarter tonne lighter than the S3 and a proper 4wd system, you can really tell the difference driving them, S3 is a pleasant enough car but not got anything like that raw feeling of the pulsar.

Raw feeling is another way of saying, crap build.

Pulsars are massively unreliable these days and if you can find one, the chances are it's probably rotten.

Range Rover Sport

Pulsars are massively unreliable these days and if you can find one, the chances are it's probably rotten.

If people were after great build quality, doubt they'd be on a clio forum...

I'm not sure the OP understands spare parts are not as readily available as one might expects and would cost more to run, maintain and upgrade.

I'd go for an Evo over a GTIR but reading between the lines I'm not sure a nice E5 would fit into the OP's budget.

Stick with the Clio...

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

No its more than just that, the 4wd system itself is agricultural but very effective, not like the mickey mouse haldex rubbish on an S3, it just feels totally different to drive.

Agreed totally!

Sunny is a better bet TBH, but even rarer, and will still be rusty, just less so.

clio 182
wasnt gona sell now anyway, was just after opinions for next year maybe. think il stick with the 182 and mayb improve in the future. il keep an eye out for a diff and internals

clio 182
surely you could find a desent pulsar tho with £5000 that has had all the rust issues fixed and had ££££'s spent on it?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
surely you could find a desent pulsar tho with £5000 that has had all the rust issues fixed and had ££££'s spent on it?

If you really know what you are looking for and have time on your side then probably.

Standard gearboxes are weak though, and the quaiffe gearsets which are stronger then just break the casing due to the side loadings from the helical design.

I believe that the PPG boxes are better (SC 1st and 2nd to remove the side loads in the worst offending gears), but not got personal experience of them, all SC boxes are horrid on the road though.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Changed my mind buy one they are great! lol

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...lsar/360bhp-forged-nissan-pulsar-gtir/1740694

370 horse, body work sorted, done. Wheels are a bit iffy but who cares...

That looks a lovely example, doesnt mention any transmission upgrades though, so im confident I could break it in an evening, lol.

I am just SO confident that if I bought that it would go like this:
Wahoo, this is epic, really quick and handles well, lets try a few launches
Oh goody that really does take off well
What was that noise?
bollox :(

182 FF
Wouldn't launch any 4WD in first personally, get in to second and floor it instead! the amount of clutch smoke my Evo 8 belched out was staggering when I drag raced it. On it's third clutch @18k miles...

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Don't hold up too well in a crash either...

IMG_1735.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Wouldn't launch any 4WD in first personally, get in to second and floor it instead! the amount of clutch smoke my Evo 8 belched out was staggering when I drag raced it. On it's third clutch @18k miles...

Trouble is, first gear is the only place that pulsar would be quicker than my clio turbo TBH, so whats the point in having the extra weight of the 4wd system that slows it down in the higher gears if you dont use it in first where you really need it?

I guess you could argue they make sense for wet trackdays :)

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I'll be honest, ive launched the TT once. It took off with no spin and was shocking really for a hairdressers car. The stress it must put through everything must be massive. I wont be doing it again as I dont like bills..lol

I'd 100% rather a car which was quick through 2/3/4th than one which can launch. The only time 4x4 is good is in the wet.

Range Rover Sport
Another one here, wouldn't launch a Japanese 4WD car unless major transmission work had been carried out.

Not sure on GTIR but certainly Evo range all you ever do is find the next weakest part when upgrading transmission parts. swap the clutch , gearbox goes, swap the gear box AYC goes. New AYC diff blows up. All in all soon as you start driving the Japanese cars how they should be drive THINGS brake lol.