ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 Turbo

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Awesome thread! This has given me a crazy bug to get mine done! I look forward to seeing more progress on the build.

Cheers! I’ve finally started cracking on cos I’ve got no excuses left. I could have done it quicker and possibly cheaper with a kit but where’s the fun in that!

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Bit more done during little leg’s nap time today. Fitted my new(er) and working alternator. Belt is in dogshit condition so that’s top of the list to get changed.

FCFF0021-2758-4576-98D3-AEF42BEF9962.jpeg

Next up was swapping the fuel rail and injectors. Old one off. I’ve also removed the studs that hold the fuel rail guard on but they are massive. Do they also hold the lower inlet on or am I ok to bin them?

7B35830D-0A72-4A6E-B483-B8FBBE9EEC75.jpeg

New injectors in the rail. Had a slight panic cos the new ones didn’t have clips and the 182 ones didn’t fit. Then remember the dodgy eBay fakes I’ve got which did come with clips. Swapped over with much success 👍

B4BEE113-4E95-4592-8C98-15FA33C7CA00.jpeg

All fitted back up with return line on

4512C87C-5483-43F3-A032-12FE2E820A34.jpeg

The car is too close to the garage wall for my fat arse to squeeze in and run the line so for now it’s like this. I’ll throw it in a Gerry can once everything is fitted so I can spin the car round

D3AF51E4-C545-4812-B1A4-D3E8D499E9AD.jpeg

The last bit was some heat management. Few laps of heat wrap looped round the downpipe and heat shield v1 in place. Much, much, much mote

0217F12D-B2EC-466C-BD20-6162B75AE568.jpeg

724B847A-A40E-4BAD-9C46-9BF8DCFB5A5E.jpeg

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Busy busy day today. First job was to sort the heat shield. Much swearing, hammering and chopped fingers later it was pretty much bang on

656EC0D1-5E19-4AFF-B5D0-09A73D36FA6E.jpeg

I started mounting the turbo and tried to attach the downpipe and couldn’t get it to line up. There was a bracket near the pas lines that wasn’t attached to anything in the way. Popped that off and it was still hitting something so stuck a bit of 8x2 down there and bashed the hell out of everything. I then went for plan B and attached the downpipe to the turbo first after I realised I wouldn’t be able to get to any of the bolt holes. This time much success
5CCE6CE3-8F83-489A-B442-2A115B29DAD8.jpeg

58E82822-8133-4F9F-8733-44D79B64F285.jpeg

Then the oil and coolant lines went on
AE020A3E-7FCE-4CD9-A2E9-5C8B69000986.jpeg

It’s mega tight down there and I had to modify the alternator bracket a bit to get it to go but it’s in. Next up was the intercooler and boost pipes. After a bit of trial and error I got the hang of where to mount it. The holes in the cross member are in the perfect place to cut a hole in the bottom and drop a 150mm bolt down

590B52F3-1338-4DCB-B9DC-0DD059BD9921.jpeg

With that done the front bumper went on nicely. May or may not add the grille back in, can’t decide as of yet
5902CE8F-2E53-4AAF-8AC1-A2C391C7D8DB.jpeg

And the rest of the pipe work went in and the inlet back on

03A56A93-D9C2-4C19-AA05-68DF89805ABC.jpeg

That’s it for today. My ecu is still with EFI getting a base map put on or it would have been fired up and leak checked this afternoon. Pretty hard to start it without the ECU! The last bits left to do are to order a 63mm bend for the turbo to air filter pipe work as that’s gone missing somewhere then just check all the bolts again to make sure.

I hadn’t planned on doing anything with the brakes other than better pads but I got offered a set of 197 brembo 4 pots for a price I could turn down so they’ll be coming soon too. I’ll use the PMS carriers with scenic 300mm disks. What do people use for the brake lines, will the 182 ones work?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Busy busy day today. First job was to sort the heat shield. Much swearing, hammering and chopped fingers later it was pretty much bang on

View attachment 1504592

I started mounting the turbo and tried to attach the downpipe and couldn’t get it to line up. There was a bracket near the pas lines that wasn’t attached to anything in the way. Popped that off and it was still hitting something so stuck a bit of 8x2 down there and bashed the hell out of everything. I then went for plan B and attached the downpipe to the turbo first after I realised I wouldn’t be able to get to any of the bolt holes. This time much success
View attachment 1504593
View attachment 1504594
Then the oil and coolant lines went on
View attachment 1504599
It’s mega tight down there and I had to modify the alternator bracket a bit to get it to go but it’s in. Next up was the intercooler and boost pipes. After a bit of trial and error I got the hang of where to mount it. The holes in the cross member are in the perfect place to cut a hole in the bottom and drop a 150mm bolt down

View attachment 1504595

With that done the front bumper went on nicely. May or may not add the grille back in, can’t decide as of yet
View attachment 1504596

And the rest of the pipe work went in and the inlet back on

View attachment 1504597

That’s it for today. My ecu is still with EFI getting a base map put on or it would have been fired up and leak checked this afternoon. Pretty hard to start it without the ECU! The last bits left to do are to order a 63mm bend for the turbo to air filter pipe work as that’s gone missing somewhere then just check all the bolts again to make sure.

I hadn’t planned on doing anything with the brakes other than better pads but I got offered a set of 197 brembo 4 pots for a price I could turn down so they’ll be coming soon too. I’ll use the PMS carriers with scenic 300mm disks. What do people use for the brake lines, will the 182 ones work?
Buy them from @BRT Motorsport

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Do you need anything to limit the oil pressure to the turbo on the clio turbo conversions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some people say yes, others say no so I’ve gone in the middle. The fitting from the T goes to a 1/8” NPT rather than a 1/4” so restricts it a bit but still allows decent flow. Only time will tell I suppose 🤷‍♂️

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
This is my kind of build. If something isn't working, just give it a smack with a piece of wood 😂

Have you got a link to the turbo you got?

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Theyre the ones. They do the link pipes too.

perfect, I’ll get a set ordered. I’ve got the link pipes so hopefully just need the lines

Looks good Steve. I didn’t realise you were on here.

Yeah, been here for a while and not really done anything. I’ve been slowly picking away buying bits over the last 3 years or so, so had to join for the for sale bit. You still got the track car? That was years ago nkw

This is my kind of build. If something isn't working, just give it a smack with a piece of wood 😂

Have you got a link to the turbo you got?

It honestly made perfect sense. Absolutely no room to swing a hammer but the perfect angle for a f**k off chunk of wood 😂😂. That’s northern engineering and fabrication at its best haha!

It was ages ago when I got it, I’ll see if I can find it in my history and send it over

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Not on a journal bearing turbo which I believe this is.. ball bearing turbos need a restriction

Yep, this one is a journal bearing.

I cracked on with a bit more today. I did a final bolt check on the subframe, engine mounts, sump bolts etc etc and basically anything else I’d touched and all was good. Then I filled The fluids up and the coolant is fine with no leaks but the test will be when it’s up to temp. Learning from previous mistakes I then massively overfilled the oil to leak test the sump and I’ve got a slight weep in the oil return. Hopefully I can manage to seal that from the outside so if anyone has any suggestions on what to use please fire away?

Now just waiting for the brembos and ECU

Reactions: Gus

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
My ecu is still on its holidays at EFI so decided to make a start on the brakes today which was predictably, a massive ball ache.

The brembo calliper adapters arrived. I’d looked at the PMS ones but didn’t fancy remortgaging the house for 2 small bits of metal so went with some from godspeedbrakes instead which came recommended. First impressions are they seem very well made but time will tell
FF9E6E58-2ADB-43D9-AF11-BB0AB2203DA2.jpeg

First job was to remove all the old stuff. Both disk screws gave up within seconds so needed drilled out. Must be made of cheese because a fairly blunt bit obliterated them in seconds. Rusty, yum 😋
FC529E79-4DB0-4C53-842A-B5B84C72365E.jpeg

The calliper bolts needed the big bar out to help move them but came off with little argument. Brembos aren’t here yet but the brackets are so thought it would be rude not to test fit. They align absolutely perfectly. Precision is spot on. The hubs are minging too. I’ll wire brush them down at some point and get them painted up but that’s a job for a different day. If I didn’t hate track rod ends so much I’d put new ones on
5CEEA512-45CC-4532-9817-222FAD01E30A.jpeg

last bit was the abs sensor. The car has had an on/off fault for ages with one of the front sensors. Couldn’t remember which one so decided to do both. Absolute shite of a job. The bolt died so got drilled and the sensor was basically fused into the hub. After much hammering I got all the remains of it out, only to spot the new ones from euro car parts aren’t the same. The ends are different and the plugs are male rather than female so back to the drawing board there. Also the brake lines are totally dead so going to have to cut them away from the pipe that joins to the car. I’m just waiting to see what I get with my braided hoses to work out where best to cut. Anyway, last delivery of the day rocked up, some scenic 300mm disks and brembo pads. Old vs new side by side. Isn’t much difference really.
D0744807-A373-449B-AE98-1AE3FAA30D2A.jpeg

Attachments

• 89DE6D4F-6D81-423D-A36D-E62C91440A01.jpeg
    89DE6D4F-6D81-423D-A36D-E62C91440A01.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 97

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
Just make sure you fit them right:))
Try to find some smaller head screws there. Those megane oem ones are a bit too tall and can hit wheel.

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Just make sure you fit them right:))
Try to find some smaller head screws there. Those megane oem ones are a bit too tall and can hit wheel.

yeah they are massive. Apparently they do go on though so I’ll see when I try the wheel on. If not they do standard head bolts that are a bit flatter. Clearly when fitted properly they’ll be significantly less finger tight too 😂

Daz89

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Awesome thread mate. I'm toying with the idea to run Jenvey ITB's or Turbo conversion. From the research I've done so far, turbo conversions seem the cheap option with more power output. Interested to see what your thoughts are when you get her fired up!

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Awesome thread mate. I'm toying with the idea to run Jenvey ITB's or Turbo conversion. From the research I've done so far, turbo conversions seem the cheap option with more power output. Interested to see what your thoughts are when you get her fired up!

Cheers mate! My only experience of a turbod one was getting my doors blown off by one in my 335i 😂. I’ve had a go out in one on ITBs years ago and it was really impressive. I considered it but the F4R really isn’t the engine to go for big power NA. I just find turbos more entertaining which is why I went down this route.

I trial fitted the other brembo today. As per the other side the abs sensor disintegrated. Looks like the reason for the fault on that side was probably down to the ring which fell to bits when I took it off. The abs sensors I’ve got are wrong so need to source some correct ones as well as a new ring.

68D40484-C5DE-4FD7-A2F8-E76FA23AEC83.jpeg
Most people say you need to run spacers on the standard 182 wheels but they seem to clear the callipers, all be it very tight. I’ll need to source some different calliper bolts though as the massive heads are catching the inside of the wheel. Tight as a fish’s arse! No way a wheel weight will ever go in now lol
1F830AB5-7E35-4547-B887-DFF64401B2C0.jpeg

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers mate! My only experience of a turbod one was getting my doors blown off by one in my 335i [emoji23]. I’ve had a go out in one on ITBs years ago and it was really impressive. I considered it but the F4R really isn’t the engine to go for big power NA. I just find turbos more entertaining which is why I went down this route.

I trial fitted the other brembo today. As per the other side the abs sensor disintegrated. Looks like the reason for the fault on that side was probably down to the ring which fell to bits when I took it off. The abs sensors I’ve got are wrong so need to source some correct ones as well as a new ring.

View attachment 1506083Most people say you need to run spacers on the standard 182 wheels but they seem to clear the callipers, all be it very tight. I’ll need to source some different calliper bolts though as the massive heads are catching the inside of the wheel. Tight as a fish’s arse! No way a wheel weight will ever go in now lol
View attachment 1506084

I use the recesses behind the spokes to fit wheel weights.. it can be done well, sometimes need to put half the weight each side of the balance point depending on how it works with the spokes.. then when c**k on, I little smear of sealer to give some extra security around the weight...

5mm spacer is perfect, otherwise the calliper will get scuffed if anything gets in the tiny gap

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I use the recesses behind the spokes to fit wheel weights.. it can be done well, sometimes need to put half the weight each side of the balance point depending on how it works with the spokes.. then when c**k on, I little smear of sealer to give some extra security around the weight...

5mm spacer is perfect, otherwise the calliper will get scuffed if anything gets in the tiny gap

perfect! I’ll go with 5mm then. Can’t wait trying to explain that to the tyre fitters 😂😂. I’ve got a set of r888r’s to go on so that’s gonna be a joy!

You got any suggestions for the bolts? Can I just use any m12x1.25 with a hex head to get the clearance on the rim or do I need something specific?

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
perfect! I’ll go with 5mm then. Can’t wait trying to explain that to the tyre fitters [emoji23][emoji23]. I’ve got a set of r888r’s to go on so that’s gonna be a joy!

You got any suggestions for the bolts? Can I just use any m12x1.25 with a hex head to get the clearance on the rim or do I need something specific?

I go with the PMS stud kit.. only bother with front studs, (never had a rear come loose) leave the rear OEM bolts. That way you have a spare set for the front [emoji12]

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Boost control gear and ecu turned up from EFI Parts today so got cracking with getting it fitted. Chopped and spliced into the ecu loom:
FFE1A554-EE2A-476E-BD60-4285F9D8A5E8.jpeg

next up was the ghetto fuel return 👌
25E0F405-B888-48AD-AF06-C0163A0ECC68.jpeg

Then cranked it a few times with the coil pack unplugged to build up some oil pressure. Plugged it back in and it fired up first time..... with a 3.5k idle 😂😂. Clearly something not right but looking at the photo it looks like I’ve not blanked the port to the accounting valve so that’s the first port of call to sort. Job for tomorrow now though

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Some progress today. Got my new tyres on, the old rainsports look like they’ve been warm a few times on the drive to work 😂

D1578FA8-A4FE-49D9-A8DA-C6FA02926E42.jpeg

New r888r’s on. Could well be s**t but there is no sexier tyre in the world
098ED6CA-8167-4B00-9795-E46FE07AF40C.jpeg

My brake lines and 10mm spacers arrived so the disks, pads and callipers are now all on and bled. They sit nicely with the spacers in place

4931EE4C-CE37-4B22-9E58-D46D2F211FF5.jpeg

I found the issue with my 4k idle... the lower inlet manifold was only finger tight 🤦‍♂️. It now runs!! Excuse the ghetto fuel return going straight back down the filler neck haha!

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Personally I think the AR1 pips the R888 on looks because of the rim protected edge.. but after using both I find the R888 a better option, better wear!

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Personally I think the AR1 pips the R888 on looks because of the rim protected edge.. but after using both I find the R888 a better option, better wear!

Hmm yeah they are pretty nice too. I’ve never used these ones before. I ran the old R888s years ago on my Astra and really liked them so I hope these are decent. When it was a daily years ago the RS3s were great with it raining 3 days out of 5 up here but when it was dry they lacked any feel and always seemed that the side walls gave too much and rolled. Now it’s only ever going to get wet when it’s being washed these should be much better

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Well, mixed day today. Started off by trying to bleed the brakes and failed with F-. The fronts wouldn’t bring fluid through at all so thought I’d go with the James may method and start with the back right. Predictably the b*****d nipple snapped off so gave up. I just think when I’ve taken the old callipers off I’ve let the fluid level go too low and need to activate the abs to sort it but have no means of doing so. Any suggestions?

I also need to sort an exhaust out as mine finishes at the downpipe then there’s a geet big gap to the 182 one. It sounds f**king epic but clearly can’t stay like that. There’s link pipes out there for a million quid so don’t fancy that. Is there a 172 bit I can use? The downpipe finishes where the 172 manifold joint is so is there anything i can use to link that to the 182 decat or even to the 182 cat back?

After taking a slight huff I decided to go for a drive. Pulls well up to 15mph when my lack of brakes (and no exhaust) made me be sensible. Anyway, car is span round in the garage so I can run the fuel return. Nice to see it back on all fours. And yes... that is my fuel return line going back down the filler neck. #PikeyPerformance 😂😂😂

5AA12BF4-4C77-48F0-9A47-06642FAEFC95.jpeg

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Did the fuel return today after some great advice from the good people or ClioSport.Net. Ran the return line along to the drivers side and tied it to the currently defunct ac lines to make sure it stays up and out the way of the belts. It then clipped nicely into the existing fuel line clips and up to the tank. I’ll tidy up the engine bay side over the next couple of days

81A30775-B8A7-4910-BA43-9FA0B85D736F.jpeg

Next up was the fuel sender. The retaining ring was a t**t and wouldn’t come off. Nowt a big screwdriver wouldn’t sort 👍

2B47B4F3-5518-4138-9B5F-4AE48FC14693.jpeg

Got the sender out and drilled a 8mm hole through the top to accept the barb for the return. Then stuck a m5 bolt into the hole for the fpr to block it off.

5EF07FE7-7A77-40C9-9E80-EA2A605A9D69.jpeg

I got it all back together but by this point I was so off my tits on petrol fumes I didn’t take any more pics. I then became one of “those people” who put their Christmas decs up in November. It’s been a funny year 😂

BF73BC8E-8959-4598-8EBF-7F7F90C1CA3D.jpeg

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Some more work done today. I noticed last week one of my cv boots had spit so popped that off and replaced it. Stuck a new abs ring on there too

9391E555-2493-4D21-BA52-955F2A3FAE9B.jpeg

Got it all fitted back in and gave the arch a quick clean and lick of paint. Badly need to do the plastics now but that’s a job for a different day
105E1031-1F5D-46CB-AF91-282FEBC551B9.jpeg

My oil return had also developed a slight leak. My attempts to seal it failed so next up was off with the sump again 🤦‍♂️. That’s off now so called it a day. Gonna seal it all up properly tomorrow and get it back on, hopefully this time with no leaks!

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Tried bleeding the brakes again today. Used the pressure bleeder and got a s**t load of air out and lovely clean fluid. Still not right though cos the pedal will go completely to the floor still and the brakes only make a vague attempt at grabbing the disks (slight improvement on no effort after bleeding attempt 1). All I can think is I’ve let the fluid get too low when changing the lines and got air in the abs pump. Is there any way to bleed that off?

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Your calipers are on the wrong side. Bleed nipples face up.

They are already a pita to bleed, but this would make it even harder.

😂😂🤦‍♂️

FFS! You are very right. That’s not going to help. Stickers won’t be the way I want them now though haha

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
A missing link arrived today; a 172 decat. Gonna chop it down and chop the flange off the 182 decat then get a sleeve welded on to link it up. Seems like a better option that the stupidly priced link pipes and will get me moving. At some point I’ll get a 3” turbo back made up but I love the way the current KTR janspeed tips sit in the back bumper. Little bit of toe in the pic for those of you who like that kind of thing too 😉
42975F1B-C7FF-405B-BD7C-C349393F8524.jpeg