ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 Turbo

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Something can’t be assembled correctly. I personally can’t see the hub it’s self or hub flange being bent, more likely not pressed in square or fat enough so the disc is sitting to far forward. Could just be the Caliper or carrier not fit correctly tho.

If you get it apart, remove the disc and look behind the hub flange, you’ll soon see if the hub flange is sat correctly on/in the bearing.

I’ll take everything back off and check but was in the huff yesterday so gave up. That sounds like a possibility though

I never took the calliper bracket off and there’s zero tolerance in the bolt holes when the calliper attaches to the bracket so there’s no way it could be fitted incorrectly. If it’s on its fitted properly if that makes sense?

I've never bent a Clio hub doing bearings and I've done at least 20. I reckon they're a pair of pussies and haven't cleaned out the race seat in the hub or seated it correctly

Thats good to hear and makes me hopeful it’s not bent then. I hope he has been a pussy. I’m not telling him that though. I’m 6”2 and 16 stone and the lad who does it makes me look like a mincey little c**t. I’ll ask him nicely if he can ram it in harder

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I'm struggling to see how they can fit it in further though as the circlip wouldn't have gone on if it wasn't home surely.

Edit, just thought. Unless it's the outer hub knuckle you mean which does make sense.

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
I'm struggling to see how they can fit it in further though as the circlip wouldn't have gone on if it wasn't home surely.

Edit, just thought. Unless it's the outer hub knuckle you mean which does make sense.

The bearing itself presses up to the circlip but the hub flange presses through the bearing with no clip, so if the flange isn’t pressed in all the way the disc and wheel will sit further out.

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
They are 60mm hubs. The circlip is sat in place as it should be so must be the hub just not pushed in far enough. I’ve got a 12.5kg sledge hammer. Do you think I’d be able to hit it hard enough to push it far enough through? I really can’t be arsed to take it apart again 😂

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Surely if the front hub nut has been torqued up to spec it should be sat in the correct position?

I'm still going with the hub being bent

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Lies! Took me just over 14 minutes actually! 3 of those were wasted by not cracking the hub nut before taking the wheel off though.

Anyway… this is it. Doesn’t look far enough in to me.

6021A4E8-67A5-4A46-8574-5E8B6D3A5B03.jpeg

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Surely if the front hub nut has been torqued up to spec it should be sat in the correct position?

I'm still going with the hub being bent

Nahh, a 20 tonne press can struggle pressing bearings/flanges in, a torque wrench or hub nut aren’t going to do anything.

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Aye it’s in the boot ready to go back in the morning to be done properly. I should have looked closer at the front but never thought to when the back was sat properly with the circlip in.

I love all this talk of the correct torque etc. The torque wrench I’ve got only goes up 240nm so it gets that and a bit more with a f**k off pole so it could be any nm to be fair 🤷‍♂️. Unless it’s anything in or on the engine they everything gets tightened to the very scientific measurement of “tight as f**k” 😂

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Also - just to add some confusion to the mix.

I fitted a pair of SKF bearings which would not seat no matter what I did, the wheel always had slop (so make sure you can't shake the wheel about!!!)

Turned out to be a faulty SKF production batch (bought from autodoc) everything was fixed fully by using FAG bearings which just went in the hole and do the job as expected. I forget if I pressed mine in from the front or back however when pressing the flange on it seated the snap ring (on the flange side) against the hub - life has been normal since.

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Turns out there’s a press in the workshop at work. It’s designed for excavator tracks but a bit of improvisation worked. It had just over 100t on it and it has moved slightly. No way to see if it’s enough but it doesn’t look like it’ll go any further. I’ll refit later and see if it’s any good

347F203A-FAE9-4C4E-91AB-18BEEE7BEEFC.jpeg

2E68F4D5-7A91-4368-8B1A-B2390CF72E81.jpeg

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Something can’t be assembled correctly. I personally can’t see the hub it’s self or hub flange being bent, more likely not pressed in square or fat enough so the disc is sitting to far forward. Could just be the Caliper or carrier not fit correctly tho.

If you get it apart, remove the disc and look behind the hub flange, you’ll soon see if the hub flange is sat correctly on/in the bearing.

If the hub is bent, the caliber would not be parallel to disc. I think the bearing is not in position or the flange

I've never bent a Clio hub doing bearings and I've done at least 20. I reckon they're a pair of pussies and haven't cleaned out the race seat in the hub or seated it correctly

200.gif

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Can’t seem to find new 60mm hubs and don’t see the point of buying used. There’s no way the abs sensor and bearing will come out intact either so even if I get a new hub I’ll need new ones of those too. The £15 to get the bearing pressed is now mounting up.

I’ve laid it flat and the bits the calliper bolt onto are slightly off. It’s a shame though cos the standard brakes fit no bother but I’m not binning the Brembos. I think I’m gonna refit it, heat it up and get some mole grips on to see if I can bend it back a bit. Hopefully that’s all that’s out. If not the car is getting weighed in.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Can’t seem to find new 60mm hubs and don’t see the point of buying used. There’s no way the abs sensor and bearing will come out intact either so even if I get a new hub I’ll need new ones of those too. The £15 to get the bearing pressed is now mounting up.

I’ve laid it flat and the bits the calliper bolt onto are slightly off. It’s a shame though cos the standard brakes fit no bother but I’m not binning the Brembos. I think I’m gonna refit it, heat it up and get some mole grips on to see if I can bend it back a bit. Hopefully that’s all that’s out. If not the car is getting weighed in.
I literally just sold a set of 60mm hubs 😂

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Turns out there’s a press in the workshop at work. It’s designed for excavator tracks but a bit of improvisation worked. It had just over 100t on it and it has moved slightly. No way to see if it’s enough but it doesn’t look like it’ll go any further. I’ll refit later and see if it’s any good

View attachment 1555886

View attachment 1555889

It is an absolute shame these got bent mate, especially after you spent so much time painting them.

When you get a new hub, if it needs a new sensor I've got an autodoc part number somewhere, the ones listed on their site don't actually fit, I managed to buy 3 different types before the right ones arrived - would have been cheaper for me to just buy the renault one (if they even sell it still).

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
one hundred tons? Really?

it’s massive and ancient and went from 0 to tasty faster than a rustlers burger. It goes up to 200t, they use it to press something or other into the tracks of the 69 and 89 tonne excavators so very rarely gets used. The look on the lads face suggested he was aiming for nowhere near that pressure despite what his words said 😂

It is an absolute shame these got bent mate, especially after you spent so much time painting them.

When you get a new hub, if it needs a new sensor I've got an autodoc part number somewhere, the ones listed on their site don't actually fit, I managed to buy 3 different types before the right ones arrived - would have been cheaper for me to just buy the renault one (if they even sell it still).

Yeah it is. I never ever bother painting anything and now I know why! Could have been worse, could have done a good job 😂.

That would be a big help. I did the same thing when I changed the fronts end ended up eventually finding these from some Latvian eBay seller after a few wrong attempts. Total pain in the arse.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
it’s massive and ancient and went from 0 to tasty faster than a rustlers burger. It goes up to 200t, they use it to press something or other into the tracks of the 69 and 89 tonne excavators so very rarely gets used. The look on the lads face suggested he was aiming for nowhere near that pressure despite what his words said 😂

Yeah it is. I never ever bother painting anything and now I know why! Could have been worse, could have done a good job 😂.

That would be a big help. I did the same thing when I changed the fronts end ended up eventually finding these from some Latvian eBay seller after a few wrong attempts. Total pain in the arse.

Pics of said press 😎

I'll go through my orders and dig out the part number.