ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 Turbo

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Yep, looks like the oil level sender.

Renault part No.

7700421391​

1624571244797.gif

On a serious note though, that was an expensive mistake. Seen the price of them 😯 😂😂

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I may have one, will check in the morn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you will also be my hero if you do 😂. I was too pissed off to look tonight, take it they just come out the top and I can stick the sump back on without any issues?

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Screws in from the top, just right of the oil filter by the looks.

One out, one in....job done

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Clio has been running well for about 10 miles or so then had lots of blue smoke off throttle. Jumped out for a look and it’s developed a slight oil leak

The drive has a drip or 2. The wife predictably will be unimpressed so used some man logic and parked her car over it. Thinking is she’ll never see it cos she reverse parks 👍
FFE1B9C0-F8AA-45B6-B31F-EE996069ABE6.jpeg

back of the car is covered 😂
3E463A39-8092-48C9-A22C-49DDDA9CCBE6.jpeg

and the underside is literally dripping
3E3FBAC1-4483-45B6-A622-95E7EFCD9033.jpeg

A15B80AD-CC0A-44D2-846C-29CE3BB778A7.jpeg

good news is it’s not the oil return. Bad news is that means it’s something else. Top of the engine looks dry so hoping it’s just the sump gasket. That’s where it looks like it’s coming from at least 🤷‍♂️
2B35FD41-C25F-41F0-A919-C499221A3173.jpeg

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Mines doing similar but no where near as bad.

I've got a slight 'misting' of out that's either sump, or gearbox 🧐

No drips like yours but the underside is oily and I get a strong oily smell through the air vents.

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Unfortunately it is very uncommon for the sump gasket to leak like that in 10miles.
That aux belt is too old.

Keep us posted mate

yeah the belt is a bit worse for wear. Believe it or not that’s covered next to no miles and isn’t due another change until December.

That was my thoughts to be honest. There’s a s**t load of oil everywhere. Even if the sump wasn’t bolted on properly I still wouldn’t expect it to fling that much out. It’s the only place it can be coming from though I think. The engine is dry once you get an inch or so above the level of the sump and the front of the block is totally fine. I must have nicked the gasket fitting it somehow and ended up with it not sealed. I’m not sure how I’ve managed that given the bolts go through it but that’s all I can think of

Mines doing similar but no where near as bad.

I've got a slight 'misting' of out that's either sump, or gearbox 🧐

No drips like yours but the underside is oily and I get a strong oily smell through the air vents.

Yeah it’s probably something similar. Gearbox oil smells rancid so you’d know straight away if it was that ☹️

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Ok, so…. I’m asking this for a friend who found a brand new packaged sump gasket sat on the work bench in his garage…. Are Clio sump gaskets reusable? 😂😂🤦‍♂️

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
I always use silicone on exterior of sump gasket. They really did leak even oem brand new:))

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Not really recommended

Cant believe I’ve done it! Suppose that’s what happens when you start a job one day and finish the next 🤦‍♂️

I always use silicone on exterior of sump gasket. They really did leak even oem brand new:))

That’s not a bad plan. I’ll run a bead of gasket marker round the outside of the gasket. If it still leaks I’ll get it welded on 😂

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I was going to address the oil leak today but halfway into it my spotlight ducts arrived courtesy of Simon (@04-182 ). I’ve been after some for ages but never seen any that don’t look terrible and/or don’t fit properly. These link up with corvette ducts to form an almost oem solution.

The fit in the surround and quality is absolutely spot on
67880018-8B81-4B3F-88B7-D5F15E4C7D8A.jpeg

And in the car they look bang on
1081F99A-3471-4226-B73E-E0E14E454E3D.jpeg

644ED440-5BB9-4880-905E-61E238F5356B.jpeg

Still waiting on the ducts arriving from the states (delivery time was 4 weeks) which should hopefully be here later in the week. Having seen other people fit them they will look great once complete and after a wash!

Sump can wait until later 🖕

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Just to be the other guy, I've reused the sump gasket on a few engines with no issues at all. I just make sure its clean, no splits and sits slightly proud of the groove. I had one that was flush so i replaced it. Never used sealant on an f4r.

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Spent some time on the oil leak today. Got the sump off and the gasket actually looks ok on the most part. Looking at the underside of the block there’s a join that isn’t quite flush and that’s where the leak appears to come from on both the front and back. I’ve scraped the excess sealant off to make it flat so should do the trick. The original gasket is below
54F92D8E-8538-4270-AEFA-14E0AA9FC830.jpeg

I’ve added some silicone gasket marker round the outside so along with the new gasket hopefully that’ll do the trick. I was going to tighten it all up but it was hot and beer was much more interesting 👍

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
If it does it again and you need to re-apply the tube sealant i'd recommend taking the original gasket off and get a blowtorch on the mating surface to remove any residual oil. The problem with ali castings is that they are DIRTY. Ali is a dirty material as it is, the casting process makes it even worse.

It's what has to be done before welding ali castings to remove any surface impurities.

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I’d put the everything back together and threw in 5L of Halfords cheapest best oil to see if I was still leaking. Good news is the sump now appears to be sealed so all is well there. The oil return is also leaking. I used a barb on the bottom to allow for some more movement and the clamp doesn’t quite seem to be nipping tight enough. I’ve ordered a much beefier one so that should do the trick.

While it was out I treat it to a wash. The back was literally covered in oil 😂😁
EBC12710-998D-4086-B2F1-E2AB6000BE3F.jpeg

The run off was impressive too 🙈
80A790D8-3AD0-4177-A6C1-753F4F96B991.jpeg

The only solution to a s**t show like that was a fairy liquid bath. I gave it a quick coat of wax just so there’s something on the paint but nothing too in depth. It’ll be getting a full correction as soon as it can be trusted not to haemorrhage oil. Such a lovely colour when it’s clean and despite the fact they don’t go anywhere yet the brake ducts look kick ass
6BA9A59C-FD91-400B-9237-1CF8C794F676.jpeg

D99B14CB-14D1-4728-8D5F-A521CBF7E11D.jpeg

3641B01F-C7AE-48A4-AFFB-0E56EED500E7.jpeg

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Sorted the slight leak on the oil return today. I decided I needed a washer on the fitting that goes into the block to spread a bit of pressure and let me get a gasket in underneath it. Couldn’t find anywhere that did m22 washers so made some. Hardly precision engineering but they work and work well. Ran up to temp and not the slightest of drips from anywhere 😁
B7CB778D-52EB-4B4B-9A18-8D98A2E20227.jpeg

Bad news is that I’m definitely burning oil on the overrun. Went for a drive and under normal driving and load it’s perfect but letting the revs drop from 5k ish sees huge clouds of blue that disappear as soon as I get back on the throttle. There’s no excessive breathing so doesn’t appear to be blow by and there no smoke any other time. There’s no smoke at all when starting so isn’t valve stem oil seals. Cold side boost pipes are dry so isn’t leaking oil on that side so the only thing I can think of is the oil seals on the hot side leaking? I’m going to unplug the catch tank to make sure that’s not made a b****cks of anything and increasing crank pressure but not sure what else to try to diagnose it. It’s a right bollock of a job to take the turbo off so really want to avoid it unless absolutely necessary.

Also picked up a JC5-107 box today. Theoretical top speed of 205mph 💨. Hopefully it fits, isn’t fucked and the ratios suit the turbo better

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Unplugged the catch can and all is well in the world 🤷‍♂️. Full boost, no smoke, all is happy.

Only issue today was the lambda sensor blank blew out. I was going to stop to retrieve it but it bounced up and smacked off the bonnet of the car behind me so decided against it!

The pedal feel with the brembos is so inconsistent too so I need to look into that at some point. Sometimes the pedal bite is high and instant, other times it’s very low and seems to grab one side before the other. Not a major issue but it always makes me s**t my pants at high speed. What’s the best way to go, bigger MC or is there something else I can try first?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Unplugged the catch can and all is well in the world 🤷‍♂️. Full boost, no smoke, all is happy.

Only issue today was the lambda sensor blank blew out. I was going to stop to retrieve it but it bounced up and smacked off the bonnet of the car behind me so decided against it!

The pedal feel with the brembos is so inconsistent too so I need to look into that at some point. Sometimes the pedal bite is high and instant, other times it’s very low and seems to grab one side before the other. Not a major issue but it always makes me s**t my pants at high speed. What’s the best way to go, bigger MC or is there something else I can try first?
They bled properly? Were they rebuilt?

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
I do add bigger MC and everything was better. You may have something wobbling there as the pedal bite is different. Anyways, bigger MC like Clip 197 will help

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
They bled properly? Were they rebuilt?

Yeah, they were rebuilt when I got them. They are bled properly too. I used the rs tuner to trigger the abs and a pressure bleeder so I’m happy with that. I’ve had it jacked up and I think the pull might actually be from a little bit of play in the bottom arm/ball joint and it’s only noticeable because the brakes aren’t biting straight away. I’ll check it out properly during the week.

I do add bigger MC and everything was better. You may have something wobbling there as the pedal bite is different. Anyways, bigger MC like Clip 197 will help

Great, that sounds like the way to go then!

197 master cylinder is a direct upgrade. Drop me a pm if you need one as I have a spare

Perfect, bet it’s a total b*****d to fit though. I’ll drop you a message 👍

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
The corvette brake ducts arrived this week. Drivers side fitted without any issues but the passenger side looks like it’ll be a bit more work with the horn in the way. My Covid riddled brain couldn’t work it out so sacked it off for the day.
6F95F3F6-93BA-4562-BB87-EDFCE66FB6E5.jpeg

I’d also received a new coolant bottle as the original is looking a bit scabby
D2BE886B-4324-426B-A872-6633D69873BA.jpeg

Popped the coolant hose off. Looks like it’s been stabbed
E22C986E-4C56-4D4E-9A97-2702016C4875.jpeg

old vs new
428EDEB0-1087-4932-9320-1C569F7641C1.jpeg

I stuck the hosepipe on the bottom rad hose to clear out the old red stuff. Ran it up to temp on council pop to clear it all through and will drop it all again and refill with the glow in the dark Renault stuff.

New box arrived too. Will be a while before I bother fitting it but at least I’ve got it now. It’s a jc5-107 so hopefully the ratios are a bit better
1DBA1738-0032-409C-AA9F-E346679DD2E4.jpeg

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
The corvette brake ducts arrived this week. Drivers side fitted without any issues but the passenger side looks like it’ll be a bit more work with the horn in the way. My Covid riddled brain couldn’t work it out so sacked it off for the day.
View attachment 1550827

I’d also received a new coolant bottle as the original is looking a bit scabby
View attachment 1550828

Popped the coolant hose off. Looks like it’s been stabbed
View attachment 1550829

old vs new
View attachment 1550830

I stuck the hosepipe on the bottom rad hose to clear out the old red stuff. Ran it up to temp on council pop to clear it all through and will drop it all again and refill with the glow in the dark Renault stuff.

New box arrived too. Will be a while before I bother fitting it but at least I’ve got it now. It’s a jc5-107 so hopefully the ratios are a bit better
View attachment 1550831
Make sure you fit the old cap to the new bottle

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Can you share the part number of those ducts? Smart looking!
15829067, 15829066?

Yeah they are lovely! I thought they’d be terrible for the price but they really aren’t. Clearly manufacturers in the states don’t rip us off to the extent that the guys in Europe do!

Link for the ones I bought is here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281605705202

They use the eBay global shipping program so all the fees and import taxes are paid upfront so there’s no messing about having to pay to get them unstuck from customs when they arrive. Delivery was around 4 days from posting.

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Had some free time today so decided to fit the other brake duct. Jacked the car up and did my usual check for play… think I’ve found the source of my issues 🙈. Bearing has def seen better days! With the wheel off the disk is flapping about and essentially rewinding the calliper piston hence the different bite feel each time I press the pedal

Got the duct fitted first of all. I need to figure out where to put the horn but I think I’ll just be able to put the bracket on backwards and move it further up
7C2D8137-6A0A-4849-9CAE-86182D2DBA95.jpeg

Got the hub stripped off. I’m lacking in a press so I’ll drop that off at a garage on the way to work tomorrow
94F370A6-7857-4ABB-B3F0-E3DC25EFABD8.jpeg

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Wow, a "small" bearing play...
Those ducts are perfect!

yeah….. it’s well gone 😂. I knew there was a bit of a knock on that side but assumed it was a top mount or something. Don’t think I’ve ever had one that far gone haha!

I’m well impressed with the ducts. They’ll need a tiny bit of modding; they just catch the tyres on full lock but I think if I get a heat gun on them and push them with a bar they’ll move enough without any issues. It’s maybe only 2/3mm so only a tiny bit!

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
yeah….. it’s well gone 😂. I knew there was a bit of a knock on that side but assumed it was a top mount or something. Don’t think I’ve ever had one that far gone haha!

I’m well impressed with the ducts. They’ll need a tiny bit of modding; they just catch the tyres on full lock but I think if I get a heat gun on them and push them with a bar they’ll move enough without any issues. It’s maybe only 2/3mm so only a tiny bit!
What wheel ET are you running?

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Got the hub back with a new bearing in today. Got it all fitted up nicely. One of the biggest things that bugs me with these cars is how easy it is to pop the cv boot taking the strut off. Avoided that added mess this time though 👍
53841991-14AA-4616-B45B-4C0440B9FE0A.jpeg

I was going to take it for a drive but the battery is totally dead. It’s now on life support overnight so will have to wait until tomorrow. I’ve also pinched enough carpet tiles to finish carpeting the garage. Gonna be luxury working in there come the winter 😂
BE33AE31-99BE-4849-9EB6-DC25070F2C6E.jpeg