ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 192 fatal road accident Isle of Man

BG 182
I'm sorry, but these cars are simply too powerful for inexperienced young drivers. I think they should apply similar rules that they have for bikes and engine capacity.

It's a shame young drivers can now afford them. For the car's image and saftey!

I do believe there should be a limit to what hp a young driver can have.

Like other countries do.

At 17/18 all I could afford was a 1.0 Fiesta - and probably a good thing!

RIP.

I echo all of the above. Its true most young lads back in the day could only afford 1.0 ud be the man if you had a 1.4! But as said its was too easy now. Something should be done to save lives. Stupid tv ads don't work

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
There should be some restrictions on the power of a car that inexperienced drivers can own / drive . And not necessarily based just on age . It should be based on experience , years on the road . For instance , you could get somebody who only passed their driving test in their mid 20's , is able to afford a powerful car and insurance straight away and off they go .

It's not just about keeping the driver safe , it's about the safety of their passengers and other road users too .

Now this person who's been arrested for death by dangerous driving , their life's ruined from this day on , they've also killed a 17year old friend , so that family's life is ruined forever . Maybe it was a moment of madness , maybe just an error of judgement . Who knows at this early stage ? But that split second and everybodys world is turned upside down and changed forever .

Clio 2.0 182
You have alot more chance in killing yourself in a 2.0 cliosport than you do in a 1.0 micra.... especially if your of a young age and you like to put your foot down!

Let's not turn this into a thread about young people in quick cars. Some poor soul has lost their life, regardless of the circumstance.

If anyone wants to discuss other things, please create a separate thread.

Renault Clio 182 BG
Unfortunately in the area i live we get a lot of this, lots of empty moor road and it can soon catch the inexperienced driver out. One of my friends sadly died in a car accident a few years back, trying to race a much more powerful car in a Corsa and hit an off camber corner with a full car..its sad it really is.

My driving instructor invited me to one of them speed awareness courses while i was learning (i got a free lesson which was a good deal to me) but by god did it open my eyes, this is going back 8 years and some of them 'educational videos' have stayed with me. I know im going to sound like a bore but i think all new drivers should attend these.

Sad for the ones who didt get a chance to learn from their mistakes.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Innocent until proven guilty remember guys!

Just because he's been arrested for it, it doesn't mean he actually did anything wrong. Genuine accidents do happen!

RIP to the one who died, I wish a speedy recovery for all others involved.

Evo
Story writes itself for me, young lad with all his mates in the back of a fast car... I know this because I was driving round like a Cnut in my youth trying to show off to my mates too, I was fortunate enough to get away with it though.

Either way a terrible waste of young life.

SQ5
Where does it say it was a young inexperienced driver?

It doesn't, for all we know the driver could of been 25 or 75!

This happens far too often, usually with the driver only having cuts and bruises.

RIP to the poor lad

Nippy white cup
I was only talking to a friend the other day about how you change as you get older. I remember nic having a 1ltr Nova when she was 17 and just driving the 4 miles or so from my house to hers on the main road I reckon we would always end up overtaking something because they dared to go 30 in a 30....now we have cars that could do that with no problem we obviously just stick behind. If we had been able to afford a 200bhp car then I guess the speeds that we would have been over taking would have been much higher and the risks much greater. Plus her dad wouldn't allow her or her brother to get anything bigger than a 1ltr for a couple of years after they passed which I think is a great idea

RIP

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Age should be irrelevant. I think bike tests have the right idea that you should have to take a test for the class of vehicle you plan to drive but that should apply whatever age you are. Just because you've been driving twenty years doesn't mean you can suddenly magic the reaction times and skills needed for fast cars or more often the problem is that some fast csrs have a degree of instability deliberately designed into their chassis. At the moment middle aged business man is always the one hovering in my Cups rear view mirror trying to get me to go.

This is a sad story. Let's not forget that your that your ability to perceive consequence is still sorting itself out well into your 20's so Skill learning really should be encouraged in the young rather than preventing them which is nigh on impossible. It would be sad if we had to resort to parents or the state putting limiters on cars. Black boxes are bad enough.

I'd rather a skilled person used a capable car occasionally than have an unskilled person ranting some shopping cart. A girl in college left me white with the way she drove her fiat panda. No fear, didn't care and definitely no ability.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Age should be irrelevant. I think bike tests have the right idea that you should have to take a test for the class of vehicle you plan to drive but that should apply whatever age you are. Just because you've been driving twenty years doesn't mean you can suddenly magic the reaction times and skills needed for fast cars or more often the problem is that some fast csrs have a degree of instability deliberately designed into their chassis. At the moment middle aged business man is always the one hovering in my Cups rear view mirror trying to get me to go.

This is a sad story. Let's not forget that your that your ability to perceive consequence is still sorting itself out well into your 20's so Skill learning really should be encouraged in the young rather than preventing them which is nigh on impossible. It would be sad if we had to resort to parents or the state putting limiters on cars. Black boxes are bad enough.

I'd rather a skilled person used a capable car occasionally than have an unskilled person ranting some shopping cart. A girl in college left me white with the way she drove her fiat panda. No fear, didn't care and definitely no ability.

Can still do DAS at 24 though (raised from 21) which means you can ride whatever you want pretty much out of the box.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Should have been clearer I meant the class side of things is a good idea for motorbikes. The age side needs removing.

It should just be that you have to have the necessary skill set to drive a car or bike of a certain performance standard.

I have friends that tried to keep up with unrestricted bikes and ended up getting into trouble.

Skilled idiots in proper machinery are a lot less dangerous than unskilled ones in rubbish.

Hopefully while acquiring the necessary skills a level of respect and understanding would resolve the idiocy. Plenty of younger drivers at motorsport events driving fine.

Last edited: