ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 197 / 200 Engine swap?

Clio 172 Cup
Is it possible to swap the engine from a 172 for a 197/200 engine & has anybody ever done it?

I guess its not a simple swap but may be an easier/cheaper way to increased power than going down the ITB/JMS route? Somebody has suggested to me that the 172 engine is quite basic compared to the 197/200 engines?

I know turbo charging is an option but as I hillclimb mine it would take it into a modified class which I don't want to do.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Anythings possible, but I imagine the wiring to be a complete headcahe.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I actauly haven't poked around a 197/200 yet so i'm not sure what the bell housing pattern is like on them, I'm sure an adapter plate could be an option if it didn't match up.

320d
The 197/200 engine on average only makes 185 - low 190's on average anyway.

ITB's will give a genuine 200bhp generally with about 170ish lbft across a very wide rev range where as a 197/200 engine would still have the OEM peakiness but with reduced power and torque.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
You don't even need to go ITBs to get better power than a 200/197 engine just get some harsh cams setup PROPERLY!!!! cheaper than bodies (even thought your are prob 3/4 the way to fully sutup bodies when you do it properly) and good for about 185/190 hp in a good engine :)

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Dont know what the set up was but this PH1 was at CSS, i have no idea if its was a 1*2 lump with 197 Inlets or a complete swap, I didnt look that closely.

DSC_1330.jpg

PM Mike - http://www.cliosport.net/forum/member.php?51371-Michael-Woodford-MST

Or

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michael-Woodford-Motorsport/160618670637798

As it was stickered all over with his companys logos

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
im sure this one is just inlets swapped because if u take the engine out for more power why would you leave the AC on it?? sayin that some people do things that make you wonder so could still want AC with the added power lol

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Looking at it, Same coilpack as well....

Ah well, shows how much attention I pay to things LOL

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
Thats a 172 engine with the 197 inlet on it, just to prove it could be done.

We still need to finalise the map at the moment but it seems to have given some good results. It wasn't the main reason for fitting the manifold tho. All we really wanted to know is if it would fit in the space given. We are currently doing some development work with something elce that incorprates the manifold modification, witch when finnished, will be posted up. Im sure people will find it very very intersting.