ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 200 Mk3.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
We use my better half’s car. But I have been looking at Octavia Vrs’s again after chatting to a guy who has owned his diesel one from new.

172 Cup
I get all that arguments that a lot of the time a turbo diesel or similar will be quicker.

That's fine but that's not the point of these cars or Renaultsport Clios in general. If straight line speed is your thing then there are other options.

I'm in my 30s now and driven a lot of very quick cars. I find that you get used to power and the novelty wears off - especially considering the risk of using them on the public road.

However, I never get tired of threading a well balanced car down a good road. I far prefer handling and driving sensations over outright speed and want that to be accessible within the limits of the roads.

That's why I love my Cup and will more than likely upgrade it to a 200 at some stage. When it comes to thrills, these cars punch well above.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
We use my better half’s car. But I have been looking at Octavia Vrs’s again after chatting to a guy who has owned his diesel one from new.
It's nice being able to use both cars in all honesty. I have more fun in the octavia than I did in the 200 tbh.

Sent from my typewriter using Tapatalk

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
It's nice being able to use both cars in all honesty. I have more fun in the octavia than I did in the 200 tbh.

Yours is a facelift vrs? Chap I was chatting to had a 59 plate one in black. Looks wayyyy better In the flesh

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I get all that arguments that a lot of the time a turbo diesel or similar will be quicker.

That's fine but that's not the point of these cars or Renaultsport Clios in general. If straight line speed is your thing then there are other options.

I'm in my 30s now and driven a lot of very quick cars. I find that you get used to power and the novelty wears off - especially considering the risk of using them on the public road.

However, I never get tired of threading a well balanced car down a good road. I far prefer handling and driving sensations over outright speed and want that to be accessible within the limits of the roads.

That's why I love my Cup and will more than likely upgrade it to a 200 at some stage. When it comes to thrills, these cars punch well above.

I totally get that and, in terms of driving enjoyment, I would be 100% with you, handling over power any day. However, most real world driving isn't about threading a car anywhere. In the real world, good mid range grunt and comfort is much easier to live with for most people.

Different strokes for different folks though.

172 Cup
I totally get that and, in terms of driving enjoyment, I would be 100% with you, handling over power any day. However, most real world driving isn't about threading a car anywhere. In the real world, good mid range grunt and comfort is much easier to live with for most people.

Different strokes for different folks though.

Yes. Mid range is important and certainly makes life easier. I've got the RS Tuner 98 map on my Cup and I think that improves things. More useable torque / power around 3500rpm than before.

Fortunately as has been said before, something like an R26 makes for easy progress particularly when mapped.

Both the R26 and Clio 200s are undervalued in my opinion. Makes them a bargain for those in the know. Had they come with a Ford badge they would be a few grand more in this country.

RS Clio 182

I understand what youre saying,an NA you have to work 'harder' to get the performance out of it but it might give you more satisfaction. I felt i was driving a go kart with my old 182,as you weave through B road curves,youre in total control of where each wheel goes. The power is instantly there with the turbo,and some cars can feel 'too' capable for our roads,you never really drive them like they are supposed to,sometime theyre just too quick.

Another thing to mention is the 'cup' versions (182 cup,R26,200 cup etc) are 'uncomfortable' to drive 99% of the time on todays roads due to the the stiffer suspension etc....espeically with all the potholes now - the roads are terrible around me. 30 mph commuting driving with a cup isnt very enjoyable imo. But we buy these cup versions for those small 'moments' you might get on a b road hehe.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Tbh, flat-out an r26 isn't that much quicker than a 200. But the extra midrange means that getting past dawdlers is much easier, and the diff adds a dimension that the 200 can't touch.

Owned both, I remember the r26 fondly. I barely remember the 200.

I've been keeping an eye out for a late 5dr 225, so I can fit an lsd!

RS Clio 182
Tbh, flat-out an r26 isn't that much quicker than a 200. But the extra midrange means that getting past dawdlers is much easier, and the diff adds a dimension that the 200 can't touch.

I've been keeping an eye out for a late 5dr 225, so I can fit an lsd!

I drove both in a short space of time...my remapped r26 was much quicker than my old 200 imo. Not ant more fun to drive though...both are epic cars in the twisties.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I drove both in a short space of time...my remapped r26 was much quicker than my old 200 imo. Not ant more fun to drive though...both are epic cars in the twisties.
Of course it f**king was lol. But comparing modified cars to standard is pointless. Standard vs standard there isn't much in it.

RS Clio 182
Of course it f**king was lol. But comparing modified cars to standard is pointless. Standard vs standard there isn't much in it.

Ive never driven a standard R26 so i dont know the difference..does 35 more bhp do a lot hehe?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Ive never driven a standard R26 so i dont know the difference..does 35 more bhp do a lot hehe?
It the torque, it's a big jump in all fairness. It's debatable wether the extra makes it more fun, but I couldn't go back to a standard one.

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
This is on eBay and shaping up to be a good buy:
image.png

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

I can relate to this.

When telling someone I'd not met before about my car history yesterday I waxed lyrical about the RS, my ST, and my 172 Cup, and gave my Ignis Sport a notable thumbs up.

Then when I finished I realised I'd completely forgotten to mention the 200 I'd done 24,000 miles in.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I can relate to this.

When telling someone I'd not met before about my car history yesterday I waxed lyrical about the RS, my ST, and my 172 Cup, and gave my Ignis Sport a notable thumbs up.

Then when I finished I realised I'd completely forgotten to mention the 200 I'd done 24,000 miles in.
I don't even know why. It was an enjoyable thing, good on track etc. Just not memorable. I've owned worse cars, that I miss more.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Hoping to soon.

Daughter hasn’t been too well and been really busy in work. So car shopping is on the to do list.

Still mooch when I can ;)

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
The biggest thing I remember about my old 197 was how much fuel it drank for no good reason, admittedly it wasn’t a 200 and I believe they revised the gear ratios (and started making the gearboxes out of chocolate) but still, the MPG was at least 10MPG worse than my old 182 & 172’s doing the same daily trip and I have no reason to drive it any harder. I do however love the look of 197/200’s and would consider one as a track car to replace the 182 track car if the opportunity ever came about but personally wouldn’t want one as a daily, but that’s probably because im getting old more than anything else :)

Clio RS 200
I'd suggest a list of pros and cons including what you can and can't live without. I personally needed some of the creature comforts that weren't available in the 182 and figured if I'd decided not to go for the 182 then the obvious choice was the 200 as it's got lots of minor improvements to the 197, just got to make sure you get a good one.
That was just my thought process when recently deciding what to go for and I'm pleased with my choice as I just love looking at this car!

upload_2018-4-18_19-28-57.png

Clio 182
I didn’t get a single call on mine for a month when it was 6k and then all the way down to 5k.

£4999 was what sold it.
Had one viewing and he took it without haggling.
It’s a buyers market as no one seems to want them.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I’d agree. I look most of every other day and there are cars that have been advertised for a little while

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
When I started the thread, yeah.

Now after my daughter not being a hundred per cent over the past few weeks etc, it’s been a back burner of an idea.

I still look just not as much