ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 200 - new owner first impressions (vs r26)

GW Clio 200
Just picked up my Clio from Leeds Evans Halshaw the day before yesterday. First impressions - it's obv not as fast as the R26, I knew that was the case, but I think I prefer the delivery of the NA engine. the roads were soaking when I got it so not had chance to take it up the country lanes and push it a bit. it felt as sure-footed as it could be, as and when I dared push it a bit in the pissing rain we have had. Sound - the noise it makes is a million times better than that indescribable whirry whistle the R26 makes, I never liked that. I got the recaro seats and I have to say I preferred the R26 ones. The side bolsters seem higher on the Clio ones (like a little bit too high?), they also feel like they are more flimsy. Also the R26 recaros were leather and just looked better IMO. One of the first things I did was double lock it with the windows down - nothing. The Megane would close the windows up for you if you did this. I am hoping its maybe something I can switch on? I haven't read the books at all and I have had to go back to work now. I had a little mess around with the stereo, paired it with my iPhone etc. where is the back button on remote controls? (that does the same as pressing left arrow on head unit). I can scroll right with the pully-fwd bit but need to reach over and press the left button if I need to go back. Like I said, I have not read any instructions, and only had a brief fiddle. All in all I am very happy with it. It looks a lot nicer than the R26 and thankfully is not covered in the twatty stickers thenR26 had. Feels to be more solidly built than my R26 and certainly loads more than my old 172. I hope to get to know it properly in 3 weeks when I get back from work. Just need to get the wheels into romax now and get them satin black instead of anthracite.

LY 182
In my clio if you double lock it stops the doors being opend from the inside, so instead of shutting the windows it just stop the doors from being opend at all

GW Clio 200
24jseymour - yes, thats what it does when you double press the lock, it deadlocks it, but on the megane it would also close the windows if you had left any down. i just presumed it would do it on the clio
d6n - thanks for your constructive comment. awesome.

As far as I know there's no way to shut the windows with the lock button dude. With the stereo, the back and forward button is the roller on the stalk, the bit on the back of the stalk, if that makes sense!

Andy P

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, i20N
I think the Megane`s have an alarm therefore auto closure including the windows. Does the Clio have an Alarm?.

GW Clio 200
thanks for the replies lads... well, some of them.

andy - i havent been in it long but i think you might be right, i wasnt looking for them, but i didnt see any sensors on the pillars like the megane had. cheers!
adam - no mate, thats not it, the roller just does whatever turning the nob on the HU does. i want to be able to do with the remote, the same as what pressing the left arrow button on HU does.... if that makes sense!

GW Clio 200
there's no edit option for my first post so i can't change it. sorry to all you english language professors. when i typed it out on my ipad, i just presumed the punctuation would suffice. Do we need correct usage of upper case too?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
It does helps chap ;)

I cant believe you prefer the squishy Tredlines out of the Megane over the Sportster CS's

Hero seats imo :)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
most people ive spoke to (myself included) prefer the sportsters to the trendlines. they are so much more supportive/stiffer than the *as well said* squishy trendlines.

hope you enjoy the 200 though :approve:

GW Clio 200
i have only done 100 miles in the clio, so probably my opinion is a bit premature. i just thought the side bolsters felt a little flimsy (and massive!) compared to the megane ones, and i much prefered the leather. that been said, the clio seat is awesome when your sat in it, totally supportive and comfy, i just dunno how long they will last!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
if you dont already know... hop over the bolsters when you get in and out lol. theyre made of cheese and wishes.

is £500 too much for you to part with? iirc a guy on 200.net retrims them in leather for around that price.

M2 Comp
So do you prefer the R26 over the 200?

I'm thinking one of either of them as my next car, but swaying towards the 200.

Suzuki Jimny
This makes me incredibly excited to get mine!

Also found that the recaros in the clio seem much more sturdy than the sofas in the megane.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Just picked up my Clio from Leeds Evans Halshaw the day before yesterday. First impressions - it's obv not as fast as the R26, I knew that was the case, but I think I prefer the delivery of the NA engine. the roads were soaking when I got it so not had chance to take it up the country lanes and push it a bit. it felt as sure-footed as it could be, as and when I dared push it a bit in the pissing rain we have had. Sound - the noise it makes is a million times better than that indescribable whirry whistle the R26 makes, I never liked that. I got the recaro seats and I have to say I preferred the R26 ones. The side bolsters seem higher on the Clio ones (like a little bit too high?), they also feel like they are more flimsy. Also the R26 recaros were leather and just looked better IMO. One of the first things I did was double lock it with the windows down - nothing. The Megane would close the windows up for you if you did this. I am hoping its maybe something I can switch on? I haven't read the books at all and I have had to go back to work now. I had a little mess around with the stereo, paired it with my iPhone etc. where is the back button on remote controls? (that does the same as pressing left arrow on head unit). I can scroll right with the pully-fwd bit but need to reach over and press the left button if I need to go back. Like I said, I have not read any instructions, and only had a brief fiddle. All in all I am very happy with it. It looks a lot nicer than the R26 and thankfully is not covered in the tw*tty stickers thenR26 had. Feels to be more solidly built than my R26 and certainly loads more than my old 172. I hope to get to know it properly in 3 weeks when I get back from work. Just need to get the wheels into romax now and get them satin black instead of anthracite.

enter_key.jpg

V6 255
RE the headunit and remote, there isn't a back button on the remote, you have to press the left button on the unit. Why they didn't put one in I don't know.

Out of interest how did you come to get the car from the worst dealer around? Harratts Wakefield is the place to go, usually have the best deals. Also don't take your car to Leeds for servicing ;)

GW Clio 200
tommo - yes, i much prefer it to the r26. i sold the r26 as i am too old to drive a car with silly f**king stickers all over it now. obviously there are a few things i liked more on r26, as i mentioned in my post. i think the clio is a much nicer looking/sounding car, and hopefully i'll enjoy driving it as much as the megane when i manage to get back from work.

roystino - thanks for clearing that up - i couldnt find it anywhere. i know why now if its not there! as for dealers, i was going to order a brand new one (whilst you still could) but leeds had the spec i wanted (except black wheels) for over £4k cheaper with only 7k on the clock. and the nearest dealer to me (middlesbrough) is absolutely s**t.

knuckles - thanks for the info, i'll keep that in mind for when mine have worn out...

Last edited:
  Mini JCW
I'm moving away from a 197 (very similar to the 200 - unless you ask a 200 owner ;) ), to an R26 after owning the 197 a year - interesting comparison in the OP.

2016 Seat Leon FR
Being at work while the 200 you just bought is sat at home must be hell! Where do you work anyway, an oil rig?

GW Clio 200
I wouldn't have been able to do it years ago, but I'm a gentleman of advancing years now so it doesn't bother me too much!! I left the R26 over in a garage in Tenerife for 6 months, that did give me itchy feet a bit!! I'm on a rig now but normally work on ships.

GW Clio 200
I prefer the way it drives, as in I prefer a normally aspirated engine. Until I get to really push it, I can't say if its definitely a better drive. I certainly prefer the look of it, and I don't miss that stupid boeing 747 hand brake one bit!