ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 200T EDC, What's up with them?

M140i
Looking at updating the car as I travel a fair bit more nowadays and as much as I love the 182, It is time for a change.

Really it's that age old toss up betweem a Fiesta ST-2 or a Clio 200t EDC, both review well, in particlar Chris Harris saying the ride is much nicer in the Clio but the Fiesta, when Mountuned is amazing (and factory friendly). Now I'm not bothered about how fast the Clio changes down gear in particular on track, not much opportunity for track fun these days so I am in a quandry? Always had hot hatches and will probably always have them.

I would appreciate some honest input please not just the "purist" drivel you hear everywhere.

Thanks peeps
Ady

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Don't listen to Chris Harris for buying your own car FFS.

Have a go in both, you might prefer the Fiesta anyway, but the Renault is a really nice car.

225 Cup & Williams
If the Renault garages down south are anything like the ones in central Scotland then you'll struggle to get a test drive in a new 200.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I still think my fiesta ST is to hard, it's ridiculous some times, I think I could go down some B roads faster in a softer car.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, Chris Harris will call you a saint if you pay him for it.

Test drive both. Personally I'd take the Fiesta every time, but you may feel differently.

M140i
Well both are for sale locally, think Ill just have a go. I've messaged Markcup to try and get a ride in his :)

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
The new 220 Trophy's were going well at Oulton Park yesterday. I didn't have a go, but from what I've heard they're a nice drive with no complaints about the gearbox.

The ST is very good, however it has left me fairly cold. Mine will be going back to the lease company 6 months early...

The rear styling really lets the car down IMO (which ironically is the Clio's best - and only - good angle).

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
I drove the 220 Trophy yesterday and had mixed views. The gearbox worked well on track, with the gear change more than quick enough. It seemed to lack a certain touch though. It needs some proper seats in there for me.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I've only ever passengered in a 200T and that was with a racing driver around Goodwood...it felt just like/as good as it did being a passenger in all the other RS Clios I've ridden in.

I don't doubt it's a good car, definitely more comfortable than mine is on the road, more practical from the rear doors (although with a slightly smaller boot IIRC). It all depends on what you want from a car.

While some/many haven't clicked with the ST it has achieved what Renault did with all before the 200T and that's it being greater than the sum of its parts. No matter how much you try and spin it otherwise the Clio, it would appear, is less.

Lastly there's Renault. The original launch was a joke. The 220 Trophy was meant to be in the hands of journalists at the end of April...it was July before Top Gear finally got one...and whilst a change in 'box mapping and the springs have improved some of it's weak points it a bit it still seems to leave most cold.

I may see if anyone at Renault would take me seriously as a buyer again as they showed no interest at all when I tried to order the 200T two years ago!

Mk4 200t, A4tdi
I was very fond of both cars and I drove both before going for the Clio.

6 weeks in and I couldn't be happier with my choice. Very easy to live with day to day (5 door with a child is a godsend) and you don't have to thrash it to make good progress if you're not in the mood.

I get butterfly's just thinking about going for a drive and that says it all for me.

I don't see how people complain about the box when its always going to be faster than you could do it manually anyway. Saw an evo video of a 182 trophy at spa and that was getting mullered by the 200T's so guess the trophy 220 would be even better.

if I was in the position of Fiesta vs Clio I would go Clio purely for the fact its got paddleshifters and is so much more rare than the ST.

The sensible side says the ST is the better choice purely because there are going to be so many of them in scrapyards in a few years time whej they fall into the younger generations hands.

M140i
I've looked at them, something about the styling doesn't quite gel with me, think I'm being fussy tbh

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Nice one at renault croydon, has the leather interior and comes from renault uk, so no mr daley car sales here, ring them and ask for mark, it will feel like the starship enterprise after a 182 :)

Last edited:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Actually looks worse now than it did before. They're such cheapskates with things.

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
2_large_zpsw6b1n5qv.jpg

Clio 200t
Love mine.

Day to day in auto is lovely, particularly going to work at 5am for me, however put it in race and paddleshift it's great fun in the bends, will blip past anything when you need to overtake and the turbo just kicks you out of bends much easier. Ignore all these reviews about a weak engine etc, nonsense, and the gearbox is miles faster than you could ever hope to change in a manual, particuarly in race.

I do have an issue with the handling, I had a 197 before and it's not as good (not a lot in it but noticeable), perhaps as mine isn't a cup chassis. However I'll be putting bilstein b14s in mine and others with them say that eliminates the body roll and sharpens everything up.

The Fiesta is a great car, no getting round it, but is the difference between them as much as they make out? I don't think so. Blame Renault for there crap advertising of the car and not making them available, they probably don't care, the car has sold in abundance in other countries (Aus have lapped it up).

Do note, the car will be a hell of a lot different to your 182, will be night and day really, coming from a raw NA 197 to this was quite a difference. However it's worked out for me and whilst there's times I miss my 197, I'd choose the 200T every time.

Good luck!

Suzuki Jimny
What chris said is why i'd think i'd like one. Crawling through traffic on the commute, then having a bit more fun on weekends. I thought the diesel mk4 I had for a couple of days handled well, so the sport should be good. Good buy when they are down to £8k in a year ;)

LindaA

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 200
I bought a 200t last year and hated it. I had previously owned a 182 and a 197 (and I clocked up loads of miles in both) and I loved them to bits. Time came to update and I tested an ST which was a great fast car but for me the seat and in particular the headrest was dreadful. I couldn't imagine covering 90000 miles with my head pushed into that position. I then tried the 200T and although I knew that it would be very different and take some getting used to, I thought that it would be a good fun car. I bought it and quickly got bored. I hated the gearbox, and although it was fast when you were pushing on, it was very unsatisfying on the everyday commute. I felt like a passenger in the car and didn't get that fun factor that I got with a good foot-down and slick gear change. The paddles in the 200T didn't give any of the positive feeling that makes driving such fun. I'm afraid that I found the changes too slow even in race mode and had to agree with all the reviews which sadly I only read after I had bought it (duh). I think that the 200t is a great car if you just want a fast car which handles well and does everything for you, bit if you actually enjoy the driving of your car then it's a big disappointment. I had it up for sale for five months and had to almost give it away to get anyone to buy it. I've seen a number for sale recently at pretty low prices so I don't think they will hold their value well. They are only worth what anyone is prepared to pay for them!
Anyway I did manage to sell it and now have the newest, lowest mileage 200 I could find and am more than happy for now.
All just my opinion of course and everyone finds things different for them. I am very sorry that I hated the 200T because I really really wanted to love it and have some fun in a car which was a bit different. I was also sorry that the Fiesta didn't suit me as it is so well thought of, if a little common!! My other half was gutted that I didn't buy the Fiesta as he desperately wanted it. He also got on better with the 200T than I did, but admitted that he wouldn't consider having one as his only, everyday car.
Oh, and I looked at the 208GTI as well but I agree about the styling. Just didn't stand out for me.
All that said, there are people on here who get on with their 200Ts and even love them. I wish I was one of them, but sadly it wasn't to be. We all learn from experience, but sometimes experience can be expensive.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
My 62 yr old father in law has one as his company car lol and whilst it isn't a razor sharp track tool like a 1*2 its actually a really nice all rounder where its capable of going quick when you want and quite civilised the rest of the time. I've driven it loads in each setting and still laugh out loud when using the lauch control. I would genuinely own one but they are still silly money and when you can get a slightly older Meg 250 for similar money it just doesn't make sense.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
My 62 yr old father in law has one as his company car lol and whilst it isn't a razor sharp track tool like a 1*2 its actually a really nice all rounder where its capable of going quick when you want and quite civilised the rest of the time. I've driven it loads in each setting and still laugh out loud when using the lauch control. I would genuinely own one but they are still silly money and when you can get a slightly older Meg 250 for similar money it just doesn't make sense.
Sorry what.. A 1*2 is a razer sharp track tool?

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
IMG_10012_zps64889f85.jpg

My old 200 above, gone but not missed, the rs tuning map to 235bhp makes the 200t a very quick road car and much more comfortable to drive.
WP_20150619_14_13_05_Pro_zpsdnts0rkb.jpg

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Yeah, for an OE factory car they are pretty sharp. Obviously you can get more track focused stuff but hot hatch wise I can only think of maybe a saxo vts pug 106 gti and 205 gti that is as sharp with on the limit adjustability.

LindaA

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 200
I actually said when I had it that I felt that I wasn't old enough for the car and that I might like it better when I was too old to bother with all that tiresome gear change stuff but still wanted to go fast!

If the trophy is 3 secs a lap quicker than the original imagine what it would do to an ST.

History suggests Renault updated its hatches to perfection. Ford just release a car and maybe maybe give the mk2 different headlights.

Until they release the Mk4 with a manual option, and raise their game with low rent plastics on the interior, my money will be going elsewhere.

The time has come for me to look at the ST's replacement with a view to ordering in October. The '200EDC' isn't even on my list for consideration.

320d
I half wish I'd driven one at the Renaultsport track day last month at Oulton Park just to see what they're like, but I chose to drive the 275 Trophy R instead.

One thing I did note about the 220 Trophy is it no quicker than my 15 year old 165bhp ph1 172 which was suprising. I was sat on the bumper of one to 100 mph+ Several times (until the guy eventually moved over) and it never took an inch out of me.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
month at Oulton Park just to see what they're like, but I chose to drive the 275 Trophy R instead.

One thing I did note about the 220 Trophy is it no quicker than my 15 year old 165bhp

None of the Renaultsport Clios are really faster than another in a straight line though so it's not very surprising.

Also the fact the 220 weights something like 1270KG's or something like that, loads heavier than the quoted figure according to Top Gear magazine.