ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 20th anniversary £22k, insurance £1.3k what to do?

Merc
Is this the gordini?

If it is i'd save the £3k and get a standard one, much better looking and not really missing anything you need.

No not the gordini, dont like the look of the gordini imo. It's the 20th anniversary edition that comes with a pearlescent white body colour and a deep black coloured roof. It is stunning, atleast in the pictures as i havent seen one before lol.

Mini Cooper S
I think a guy in Switzerland bought one of these special editions. I'm pretty sure it cost him around £30k.

Merc
After going out today on the road and picturing myself in the clio turning heads, me thinks the 20th edition is gonna get a new home in Gibraltar. Lets see what deal i can come up with on Monday when i have a chat with the dealer. Hopefully i can drive my way upto Portugal on the rs200 for my summer holiday :)

Clio 172
Who cares if yours will be the only one there or the 3rd......

Do not spend 22k on a clio that would be the stupidest thing youll ever do!

Merc
Got offered a non cup car with a Recaros and speedlines for 17.5 brand new.

Lucky guys you lot in the UK, where there is competition there is a chance to get good offers. And how much ontop of that would you have to pay to get in on the road in the UK besides insurance?

The taste book remains unwritten, so if thats ur thing good for you.

You might want to spec a sense of humour while they're performing open wallet surgery on you. Bottom line is you must be certifiable to think a Renault Clio is worth spending £22k on.

Merc
You might want to spec a sense of humour while they're performing open wallet surgery on you. Bottom line is you must be certifiable to think a Renault Clio is worth spending £22k on.

I also believe that it's a tad expensive but im gonna clarify something. I live in Gibraltar which is British so uses the pound, we drive on the left hand side (proper side ;) ) so cars have to be imported from other EU countries. So with exchange rates and import duty you do get slightly raised prices. And it is a special edition so again add something to that.

And on the sense of humour... Too those that know me im as funny as Bush trying to dodge the shoes thrown at him during a press conference! And that was hilarious...

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Lucky guys you lot in the UK, where there is competition there is a chance to get good offers. And how much ontop of that would you have to pay to get in on the road in the UK besides insurance?

Thats on the road ;)

I'd rather pay the extra £5k and have the weather you lot have though lol, and probably a better quality of life.

Guilietta 2.0 JTDM-2
I'd say go for it mate! It's an epic car and by the sounds of it any car you're going to buy is going to be a bit on the expensive side. It's been said before but - you only live once!

Merc
Thats on the road ;)

I'd rather pay the extra £5k and have the weather you lot have though lol, and probably a better quality of life.

Funny you said that about the weather because today it is torrid lol, and about better quality of life each place has its perks, here we have duty free which includes cheap petrol at around 98pence per litre of unleaded 98, for the smokers the packet of cigarettes are at £1.50, 20% tax rate and so on. But you guys in the UK have stunning scenary and roads to drive on. I remember a road somewhere between Blandford Forum and Bournemouth where the road would have been a drean in the rs200, over-hanging trees, it had up and down hills etc....

Merc
One question, can the rear seats on the RS be folded down? Hope it does because it's going to be my everyday car, and only car.

White clique
i wouldnt buy any car new let alone a 22k clio!

Buy a Z4 coupe instead and spend the change on an amazing holiday of a lifetime.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
22k for a clio- total waste of money- + insurance - its almost laughable

If your desperate for a 200 buy a used one thats lost a big hit of depreciation-

S

If it was me I'd be sticking 15K into a house deposit and 7K into a mint 182 or trophy + insurance. That said I have no idea what the financial situation is, but if you have 22K a clio would be a long way down my list.

What about getting a 182 this year for insurance purposes that wont depreciate like a stone, and next year looking at a z4m/caymanS/exige/TVR/older 911

Last edited:

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
After going out today on the road and picturing myself in the clio turning heads, me thinks the 20th edition is gonna get a new home in Gibraltar. Lets see what deal i can come up with on Monday when i have a chat with the dealer. Hopefully i can drive my way upto Portugal on the rs200 for my summer holiday :)

No offence but it's a Clio not a Ferrari, no-one is going to care or even know it's a special edition. If you want a head turner there are much better cars to spend £22k on.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
It's being imported from Canary Islands to Gibraltar so guess it's either a Gordini or a special edition we don't get in the UK.

Just looked at the spec of these, what do you actually get over the normal 200 that justifies the extra ££££, more badges? white paint? what a waste of money, whoever buys one of these for 22k is an absolute mug

Merc
No offence but it's a Clio not a Ferrari, no-one is going to care or even know it's a special edition. If you want a head turner there are much better cars to spend £22k on.

I understand where you are coming from but in Gib its a different story. You hardly ever see an expensive car i.e Ferrari etc But a pearlescent white Clio RS with black roof and alloys is sure to turn heads here. Also its difficult to find a decent second hand car around. Although the other day there was a Scooby WRX STI 2008 model for sale (second hand) going for 26k, no chance of getting it insured though.

Merc
If it was me I'd be sticking 15K into a house deposit and 7K into a mint 182 or trophy + insurance. That said I have no idea what the financial situation is, but if you have 22K a clio would be a long way down my list.

What about getting a 182 this year for insurance purposes that wont depreciate like a stone, and next year looking at a z4m/caymanS/exige/TVR/older 911

I bought a new house 5months ago so...

As i mentioned earlier im 23 and struggle to get a 200 insured never mind cayman, exige etc. Also i've been looking at what i could get for 22k and there is the Golf, A3, Accord... None of which appeal to me and there are about 200 of each going around.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
22k for a pearl clio with the usual recaro trim. - nowt special-

cant you import a decent one?

S

My suspicion is you've got your heart set on this car and are unlikely to be swayed into not buying it. You've come on here hoping and expecting everyone to make you feel better about the decision and now we've told you exactly what the logical side of you brain has been nagging at you with, that it's a retarded idea.

Seriously move on, when you're older spend the money on something worthy of the high levels of insurance you'll suffer. Who knows perhaps by then you may have moved somewhere with roads to actually enjoy the thing.

Audi TT 3.2
22k is expensive! But that does look very very nice! Recaros, climate and sat nav not a bad spec either.

White clique
how limited edition is this, i've never heard of them, just looks like a decent spec 200? How much would a 200 with that spec cost minus the 20th edition label?

Merc
My suspicion is you've got your heart set on this car and are unlikely to be swayed into not buying it. You've come on here hoping and expecting everyone to make you feel better about the decision and now we've told you exactly what the logical side of you brain has been nagging at you with, that it's a retarded idea.

Seriously move on, when you're older spend the money on something worthy of the high levels of insurance you'll suffer. Who knows perhaps by then you may have moved somewhere with roads to actually enjoy the thing.

Look on the map we've got Spain on our door step, dont know whether there are roads there? I came on here for advice and more understanding but the situation here is totally different to you guys in the UK. Yes i came with my heart set on this car and probably still will put down the deposit 2moro regardless.

You asked for advice and people have given you it, the overall opinion is that dont do it as its a waste of money, your gonna cry your eyes out in a years time when you find out how much its worth, just think in the end you paying £22,000 for a CLIO, a cheap french car

Look on the map we've got Spain on our door step, dont know whether there are roads there? I came on here for advice and more understanding but the situation here is totally different to you guys in the UK. Yes i came with my heart set on this car and probably still will put down the deposit 2moro regardless.

I'm well aware of where it is. I've been to Gibraltar and based on the time I spent there I'd certainly not bother spending my hard earned let alone £22k on an overpriced Clio to punt about in. It's your cash so you're entitled to spend it how you see fit, equally plenty of us on here have voiced our opinion that you're loopy to do so. When you're my age you might look back and understand where we're coming from.

Merc
22k for a pearl clio with the usual recaro trim. - nowt special-

cant you import a decent one?

S

Hope i could like i did with my bike, but with the car its different. Price in euros then take off the vat, change rates and import duty which for a dealer is around 20% for me personaly would be more around 30% i think... So sums go considerably high. If your a trader and can find me a 20th for less than 22k id be happy to drive it down from the UK